cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Mtn_Doc
Adept I

Ryzen 7 7700X Display Problems

I've recently built a brand new system and am using the built in graphics while waiting for the next generation graphics cards to come out. The only trouble I've had so far is with video playback. The majority of the time I try to play a video, whether it's something I've shot myself and am trying to play back with Windows media player, VLC, etc, or am watching in a web browser on YouTube, etc, it will be really choppy and eventually turn into a green screen of death. My motherboard is a ROG Strix X670E-E and I'm running the AMD Graphics Driver 31.0.12024.0. Has anyone else had this problem?

1 Solution

See if the video playback works better if you disable Hardware Acceleration in your browser or universally through Windows itself.

Also try downloading a Codec Package like K-Lite that has all the video and audio codecs your PC needs to run most or all your videos and audio files.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Try running the recommended driver from AMD's support site. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
yeafoshizzle
Journeyman III

I've had similar choppiness and slow downs while watching youtube with my 7700x (same boat as you with waiting for next gen radeon). I have a 4K display and wonder if the IGPU is just not powerful enough to support the video playback. I have not had any green screen of death, the video just stops playing and resorts to shifting from 4k to 1080p or sits there with a spinning icon.

0 Likes
Mtn_Doc
Adept I

I downloaded the AMD Adrenalin software and unfortunately it hasn't fixed the crashing, but it is logging it, so hopefully they can figure out what's going on and the next driver will have a fix.

0 Likes

See if the video playback works better if you disable Hardware Acceleration in your browser or universally through Windows itself.

Also try downloading a Codec Package like K-Lite that has all the video and audio codecs your PC needs to run most or all your videos and audio files.

This worked! I've been going through various programs and disabling hardware acceleration and it's solved the problem. The one program that I can't seem to do this in is Windows Media Player, but it's worked in my various browsers as well as VLC. Thanks for the suggestion!

Peter_Kendler
Journeyman III

Still the same problems here, expecially with web-browsing (Firefox, Chrome) sites with a heavy load of video-ads; the site freezes and then shows a green-screen. When GeForce NOW streams a game, I can see only a green-screen, but the sound of the game-stream works fine.
A test with an old GeForce GTX 770 (luckily in my hardware-archive) showed none of these problems, so it definitly comes from the integrated graphics of the CPU .
Ryzen 7-7700X, Gigabyte B360 Gaming X AX, 32 GB DDR5-5200, 2TB M.2 SSD

0 Likes

I've been having the exact same problems with my computer.

Brand new system I've built with the 7700x, still waiting for my graphics card to ship so I decided to set it up with the iGPU. Also running Windows 11, but I'm not sure if that's contributing to the problem. Occasionally my computer will green screen and then crash, or media playback and streams I watch will turn green. More commonly, adrenalin gives me the "driver timeout" error. 

0 Likes

Did you find any solution ? I have exact same problem...

0 Likes
TheHunter
Adept III

Man! My PC is freezing and I thinking the problem could be the iGPU.

Freeze every 24 hour more or less.

Tested a 7600x, 7700x, Corsair Stick, Kingston Stick, 2 sticks, 4 sticks... Now I`m testing an HDD instead of NVMe.

Buyed but not arrived yet an NVDIA Quadro and another motherboard (Rog Strix 650M) to test.

Currently my setup: Asrock x670e Steel Legend.

My use is open dozens of tabs in every browser, mostly 600 tabs in Chrome right now... So.. could be a iGPU problem with Chromium browsers like said here : https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-11-2

But I already disabled hardware accelerated in every browser and same freeze and later only need to restart the PC with hard reset.

Currently I`m testing a HDD with Windows instead SSD NVMe, next test will be another third RAM stick ADATA / XPG.

Later possible tests will be the NVIDIA Quadro and another motherboard...

Sad... ahaha

0 Likes

I think, this is just a problem of the graphics-driver. It wouldn't be acceptable to use only certain hardware to achieve a correct working iGPU. Because this wouldn't be a good idea for AMD's stock price
Fortunately, I have an old graphics card, that I can use instead, but I absolutely prefer the iGPU, because I don't want the power-consumption of my old GTX770 and don't need it's 3D-power.

0 Likes
BorrahDanikls
Journeyman III

I have recently ran into an issue where my Ryzen 7 7700X system will not post, doesn't error out, but will not post. Even with the ram not put in, it doesn't display an error. It is weird, as I have never seen this issue before. Can anyone help? Thanks

0 Likes
Peter_Kendler
Journeyman III

I had a similar problem with a new 7700X on a Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX - just a black screen.
The solution was the "Clear CMOS"-option on the mainboard. You must connect the two pins (locate it via the manual of your mainboard) with a screwdriver for a few seconds. Be sure, that the power is off, so the only power comes from the mainboard-battery.
After a restart it tooks a while to come up, but the BIOS loaded then with the standard-values.

0 Likes
alperalperler
Journeyman III

Hello

I am also having the same trouble. Did you find any solution?

0 Likes

I had to go into each program (VLC, Edge, Chrome, etc.) and disable hardware acceleration. Unfortunately, for some reason I have not been able to find the setting to turn off hardware acceleration system wide in my version of Windows 11. I also tried to edit the registry but that didn't seem to make a difference. The one program that I can't find the setting to disable hardware acceleration is Windows Media Player, so I'm avoiding using it. 

0 Likes

Here is where you can enable or disable Hardware Acceleration in Windows 11 Settings:

Screenshot 2023-01-18 214124.png

0 Likes

Sorry but your image is not available ?

Could you repost your answer.

Thanks.

0 Likes