cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Taon2
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 5800x shutting down computer

Alright folks, having a pretty weird problem. Here's my current specs and things I have tried.

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80Plus Gold (new)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (new)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x (new)
MB: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 (old)
RAM: 2x 8gb DDR4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance (old)

I upgraded my CPU and GPU yesterday to improve my performance when gaming. For reference I was previously using a Ryzen 7 1700x CPU and a AMD Radeon RX 580 GPU. After upgrading my CPU and GPU, an issue started where my entire computer will shut off under some load (playing a game, specifically Baldurs Gate 3. Happens with other games too). Here is a list of things I have tried to resolve this:

- Updating BIOS
- Updating all drivers
- Installing new PSU (thought old one was going bad, turns out it wasn't)
- Limiting GPU FPS to 144 (refresh rate of monitor)
- Manually setting CPU to 1.5volts in Ryzen Masters
- Reseat graphics card (actually, tested with both my old and new card, both resulted in shutdowns under load)
- Reseat RAM
- Disabling the BIOS option to auto shutdown when temp limit is exceeded

I have also been recording my computer stats (temps, voltages, etc) right before it shuts down, images attached. These are stats from right before a shutdown. Everything looks fine to me. GPU on left and CPU on right.

Screenshot_20230818_220240_Photos.jpg

Here's another one:
Screenshot_20230819_140920_Gallery.jpg

At this point, I'm starting to think either the CPU is faulty, or the MB has been messed up somehow. I still have yet to try putting my old CPU back in and seeing if it still happens. If it does, it would be the MB, if it doesn't, it would be the CPU. I'm trying to avoid doing that because I'm running low on thermal paste, but if that's what has to be done to verify then so be it. Any help here would be great, as I'm grasping at straws at what's wrong now.

EDIT: I saw this post, and it seems to be the same problem (shutting down at 70 degrees), but their solution did not change anything for me (unless I set the max voltage incorrectly?)
https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-7-5800x-shuts-down-at-70-c/m-p/505688#M45217 

0 Likes
0 Replies