cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jovan13343
Adept I

ryzen 7 5800x overheating

Hello guys, i have problem with processor named above, in full load he went to 90c. I use cooler master h412 cooler.I solved this problem but setting it to eco mode in ryzen master and temps are now 75c at full load. Soo is this normal, is weak cooler or some other problem that cause this?

Thanks in advice! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

jovan13343, please post a Screenshot of Ryzen Master while running Cinebench R23. Thanks, John.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
23 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Try reseating the cooler with new thermal paste.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
jovan13343
Adept I

Tnx for answer!
I already try that  and situation is the same 90c full load. i think i will stick with eco mode.
my config are:
GPU: RX 6700xt
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard: Asus tuf b550m gaming plus
PSU: Raidmax Vortex 800w 80+ gold
RAM: 2*8gb 3200mhz
Cooler: Cooler Master h412r
SSD: silicon power 512gb  m.2

0 Likes

jovan13343, please post a Screenshot of Ryzen Master while running Cinebench R23. Thanks, John.

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

CM H412 is a small cooler with 92mm fan. That is not enough for an eight-core CPU especially if you run some test software which creates huge amounts of heat.

Is it enough when gaming, as games are often not as demanding, maybe, but perhaps not even then.

Solutions are: Get better cooler OR reduce CPU voltage OR both.

If I recall right, eco-mode isn't very well optimized.

IF your CoolMaster H412 is the one shown in CoolMaster Compatibility and TDP chart that I posted below. Simply put your H412 is too weak for your Ryzen 7 5800X.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 082514.png

The Ryzen 7 5800X TDP is Rated at a fairly high 105 watts. You H412 all of which are rated at 100 Watts.

Plus the CPU's Maximum Operating Temperature is 90c which means the CPU had started to throttle or would have started to throttle once it reached 90c.

You will need a CPU Cooler rated at the minimum of 150 Watts TDP to keep your processor from overheating under normal loads. In fact you may have to add a second fan to the 150 Watt CPU Cooler unless you get a higher rated CPU Cooler.

Ty for answer, soo which air cooler you can suggest me?

0 Likes

Depends on what your budget is for CPU Coolers.

Noctua is one of the best but also one of the most expensive CPU Cooler Brands. CoolerMaster has some very good 150 Watt and stronger Air CPU Coolers that are less expensive.

Or you can go with a AIO Liquid CPU Cooler but they are more expensive than Air.

Here is CoolerMaster Compatibility Chart showing all of their 150 Watt TDP Rated Coolers:

Screenshot 2022-12-14 125831.png

There are many other brands that are as good as CoolerMaster or Noctua.

Just google Ryzen 7 5800X Best CPU Coolers.

NOTE: I personally am using a CoolerMaster Hyper212 EVO which cost me slightly under $40.00 for my 125 TDP Rated  FX8350 and now my TDP Rated 65 Watt Ryzen 7 3700X.

But for my Ryzen 7 I needed to add a second Fan to the CPU Cooler to keep the CPU temperature under 70C under Stress or very heavy loads even thought the processor max, Oper. temp is 95C.

0 Likes

If Noctua and similar are too expensive, consider Deepcool AK620

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGM6FcLDckk&t=15s 

Or a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120.  Similar temps, only slightly worse, for $40.

0 Likes
G1n
Adept III

I have your CPU model, and I also run air cooler and during cinbench I get 82º to 83ºc and 79ºC peak during gaming with average 59ºC to 62ºC. I do this with PBO limits, because you have to limit the power draw this CPU uses on default if you want acceptable temps without water cooler. My PBO limits are PPT 130 TDC 80 EDC 125
Curve optimizer won't help you in multi thread since it will just tell cpu to boost higher with same voltage. On MT will result in either degraded performance or crash for older BIOS "cores won't boost high in MT" and if power limits are not limited the CPU will keep drawing extra power to keep up with the boost clocks and heating up.  I don't know if ECO mode uses more or less aggressive PBO limits than what I use, you should try and compare.

0 Likes
jovan13343
Adept I

test.PNG

0 Likes

Thanks, Tjovan13343. I see you are still running in ECO mode which is limiting your temperature. The three red meters at the top are indicating that your processor is throttling. Enjoy, John.

soo should i still stick with eco mode or is there some better settings to keep temp down but increase performance, before i buy new cooler? 

0 Likes

You can try disabling ECO mode and using Custom PBO limits like the ones I shared with you and test.

0 Likes

Oke will try that tomorow and show results here 

0 Likes

Tjovan13343, it looks like you are getting good advice but I will answer your question.  I think a better heat sink will help in many cases, but not CB R23, since it is throttling because of PPT, EDC and  TDC. My 3970X does the same thing. I managed to raise the CB score by raising the limits on the three values.  AMD fronds on this. I did not suggest a solution, so was surprised you selected my question as a Solution. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
G1n
Adept III

You can also try Curve Optimizer that some maxipad fans here eat for breakfast as placebo. It won't impact your voltage, nor your power draw so it's kinda useless under heavy Multi Thread loads and you will also need to do a lot of work for it to work for you. Not every CPU silicon and bins are equal, you will need to test core by core checking how much negative magnitude each core of your CPU is able to handle, you will run into BSOD and a lot of pain unless you find out each value that your CPU cores can handle. You can go that way if you can, but that won't help you when you are under really heavy multi thread loads. It will give you slightly lower temps under light load and single thread load, and higher clocks for the same voltage "which is good" but that's all about it.

0 Likes
jovan13343
Adept I

Capture.PNG

0 Likes
jovan13343
Adept I

this is a picture of deafult settings 

0 Likes

Yes, I see you hit 90ºC which is a lot. I use the PBO limits I aready shared with you, and lost only 25 points in cinebench MT from 15300 to 15280 and got lower temps due to power draw limits. Do the test and see if it helps.

0 Likes
G1n
Adept III

You can relate to this thread as well, as yo can check some people gets even better scores in cinbench with more aggressive PBO limits, probably due to heat reduction leading to more stable higher multi thread clocks.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/5800x-and-other-zen-3-chips-pbo-settings-temperature-fix....

0 Likes
Eyrikfox
Journeyman III

Hi I have the same problem of overheat same CPU my config is ryzen 7 5800x 

32gb ram

3060ti GPU

CPU cooler MSI mag coreliquid 240r v2 fan cpu 

It's just I can't even turn on the computer it will shut me down after I enter anything the CPU heat will go to 113° and them get shut down 

IMG_20230731_232016.jpg

 and I can't use cinebench at all it make system shut down after 3 sec at most

0 Likes

I suggest you open a Warranty ticket with MSI concerning your AIO if it is installed correctly and the pump and fans are working as usual and it has good circulation.

Many Users have had issues (Overheating) with MSI Mag Core Liquid 240r v2 in the past here at AMD Forums.

In fact, MSI even had a recall, I believe last year, on the Mag Core AIO CPU Cooler: https://us.msi.com/Landing/liquid-cooler-swap-application

MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R / 360R Product Announcement

Dear MSI users,

Recently, we have received feedback from some of our users that they have experienced a drop in heat dissipation efficiency when using the MAG CORELIQUID 240R / MAG CORELIQUID 360R liquid coolers.

Our preliminary investigation has identified that a small portion of the liquid coolers produce sediment that can cause a blockage. This, however, will not cause any damage to your system since the processors are equipped with a protection mechanism against overheating.

MSI cares deeply about our users’ overall experience and we simplified our processes to provide faster product replacement services.

Users can identify whether they have an affected products by looking up the product serial number here. We will provide a comprehensive product replacement (MAG CORELIQUID 240R V2 / 360R V2) service to all affected products that have abnormal heat dissipation ( Example: CPU temperature is higher than 60°C while idle and the cooler is properly seated with thermal paste applied between the CPU and cooler ).

0 Likes