cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ryzen 7 5800x Overheating and Shuts down my PC

Hello everyone! I'm new to this community and as well as with AMD Ryzen products. Technically, my rig is new and I had it built last week. 

But I have a problem, the idle temperature of the processor sits around 70 degrees celcius (158 F) and i searched some workarounds with undervolting and set the PPT, TDC, & EDC at 120, 85, and 130 respectively, and turning the curve optimizer to all cores, negative, 30. It improved the temp and sits around from 50 degrees to 64 degrees (sometimes spikes to 70 then goes back to 50's) but when i play Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (all maxed out) for at least 2 minutes, it automatically restarted my pc and received "cpu over temperature error", the clocks speed are in stock, and the only thing i modified was the PBO and nothing else, not the clock speed or anything. i also have the fan speed to turbo (if you need a photo of my rig, i'll send a picture). i have a deepcool cooler installed on the processor. 

My PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x (stock clock)

Colorful Battle Ax RTX 3070 8GB 

2x8 GB 

ASUS Prime B550M-K

Deepcool cooler (for the processor)

Cooler Master 750w Bronze

Stock coolers that came from the case 

a response and workaround to my problem would be deeply appreciated. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x, Noctua NH-D15, Colorful Battle Ax RTX 3070 8GB, TForce Dark Alpha 4x8GB RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, Seasonic Focus GX-750w Gold, ADATA 2.5 SATA 480GB & Seagate Barracuda 2x1TB, Montech Air 1000 Premium w/ Noctua NF-F12 120MM x6
0 Likes
1 Solution

@WhiteGoldNinja 

I see that you have a low profile Air CPU Cooler. Is this because your computer case is not a tower type computer case but either a mid-tower or smaller computer case?

Screenshot 2022-01-30 171510.png

The Air CPU Coolers that are rated at or above 150 TDP ratings are usually quite massive and large. So you need to see what type of computer case size you have before purchasing one of those top Air CPU Coolers.

Noctua has one or two low profile CPU Coolers that are powerful enough for your 5800x processor but they aren't cheap. Maybe some other CPU Cooler manufacturer has something similar but cheaper.

If you have a small computer case than maybe a AIO might be more suitable.

But as mentioned the CPU Cooler you now have is not sufficient to cool your powerful AMD Processor which is why it is overheating.

View solution in original post

15 Replies