cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Beppe94
Adept I

Ryzen 7 5800x clock speed

Hi, i recently bought a ryzen 7 5800x and love it but the thing is its always sitting at 4.8 mhz even when idling... i dont understand why my power plan on win 10 is on performance but even on balanced the clock speed doesnt get any lower... 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Then try manually setting all cores in BIOS. Just set the multiplier to wherever between 40 and 45 (4.0-4.5GHz) and see how much you can get before it gets really loud. I set my 5800X to 4.35GHz@1.181V and it's rather cool and quiet until I start torture benchmark like LinX or Prime95. Maximum safe voltage is generally presumed to be 1.35, but it will still get rly hot if you set so all core without serious liquid cooling; I would recommend keeping it below 1.2 volts for air cooling, and then gradually maybe lower it by small steps if it's still 2 hot 4 u. 

So start with my setting of 4.35@1.181 volts, test and manipulate according to the situation.

If it hangs/BSODS - lower the multiplier to 4.2GHz and/or up the voltage to 1.2V. 

If it's still hot at my setting, get yourself a cooler instead of aluminum can get to 4.2@1.15 and test, and if still hot keep lowering stuff by small increments. Theoretically, it should be stable at base 3.8GHz with 1.1 volts, but if you get to that point, it's just sad. 

Alternatively, search for "Clock Tuner for Ryzen 2.0" and enter the magnificent world of manual overclocking, filled with bugs, BSODs, per-core configuration, P-states and other confusing stuff that will make any sane person go WTFing. 

For tests, I would recommend Cinebench, then LinX, then Prime95. Each one after the other. The last one us a true torture test for CPUs, if you manage to keep it below 90°C for half an hour, you're golden. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
EFermi
Miniboss

Are there heavy processes in background? Launch Task Manager and see if anything uses CPU. 

0 Likes

No nothing heavy, cpu usage is around 5% 

0 Likes

Weird. What version is your BIOS? Did you try updating it? Did you change any BIOS settings? Usually, the problem is quite contrary - of not getting boost frequencies to the limit. How are the temperatures? Do they go over 90°C under heavy load / stress test? If not, then you have yourself a really fast CPU due to some strange glitch, lol. 

0 Likes

Idk about bios version and i changed few things there about fans rpm. Temps are looking fine i guess, its around 75° while gaming 

0 Likes

Well then you probably shouldn't worry too much about it, although it really makes one wonder how it got this way. 

0 Likes

It really bothers me cause if it sits up there too long it gets hot and then the fan start spinning fast and its loud 

Then try manually setting all cores in BIOS. Just set the multiplier to wherever between 40 and 45 (4.0-4.5GHz) and see how much you can get before it gets really loud. I set my 5800X to 4.35GHz@1.181V and it's rather cool and quiet until I start torture benchmark like LinX or Prime95. Maximum safe voltage is generally presumed to be 1.35, but it will still get rly hot if you set so all core without serious liquid cooling; I would recommend keeping it below 1.2 volts for air cooling, and then gradually maybe lower it by small steps if it's still 2 hot 4 u. 

So start with my setting of 4.35@1.181 volts, test and manipulate according to the situation.

If it hangs/BSODS - lower the multiplier to 4.2GHz and/or up the voltage to 1.2V. 

If it's still hot at my setting, get yourself a cooler instead of aluminum can get to 4.2@1.15 and test, and if still hot keep lowering stuff by small increments. Theoretically, it should be stable at base 3.8GHz with 1.1 volts, but if you get to that point, it's just sad. 

Alternatively, search for "Clock Tuner for Ryzen 2.0" and enter the magnificent world of manual overclocking, filled with bugs, BSODs, per-core configuration, P-states and other confusing stuff that will make any sane person go WTFing. 

For tests, I would recommend Cinebench, then LinX, then Prime95. Each one after the other. The last one us a true torture test for CPUs, if you manage to keep it below 90°C for half an hour, you're golden. 

0 Likes
Bobby29
Journeyman III

The ryzen 5000 series will boost clocks automatically even if you don't, it depends on cooling solutions and all of that. For example, in the bios I'll manually put it at 1.3125v with a 4.7 ghz overclock. However, since I'm water cooling my GPU and CPU with 2 360mm radiators it can reach core clocks of 5.7 ghz just by boosting itself due to low temperatures, but eventually once it gets hot enough it will throttle and either clock back down to its orginal 4.7 ghz or thermal throttle or crash, depends on you motherboard and cooling solution on what happens.

0 Likes
minsik
Journeyman III

maybe check windows "processor power management" in the windows plan performance  maybe. 

For unknown reason ALL plans in mine was at 100%/100% and this caused the  cpu to just run hot, fans to ramp up and down all the freaking time! I was at wits end on a new s/h system and really thought i had bought a real DOG!  

Then i saw this youtube video and since then its like a different computer totally. now 30C cooler on idle, and can run bench testing at maximum and for instance the stress test in cpu-Z doesnt make it run more than 65W and 54C continuously, so fans are still nice and quiet.  I can handle that.  

I use 20% minimum cpu and 98% maximum. Real thanks to the youtube video as i had removed cooler and cpu, re thermal pasted, fans all checked, and boy was i unhappy it could be that bad! Move the mouse after idle and fans would soar up, open explorer and fans would soar up, as i said totallty different device now and cool too. 

Minsik

In theory there is no difference between theory and Practice,
But in practice there is!
0 Likes