Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

AR0x7e7
Adept I

Ryzen 7 5700G: black screens and system halt during gaming

Hi everybody!

I'm experiencing a similar issue to a topic already posted before: my two monitor turn black during gaming sessions, system is not responsive anymore and needs a hard reset via power off/on switch at the PSU -> with the front panel power button a reboot is not possible in that state. Also, reducing the system to use only ONE monitor does not help!! The error prevails!

Regarding my setup:

• Ryzen 7 5700G
  • Gigabyte A520M DS3H with current BIOS version F14f (released 13.10.2021)
  • Crucial Ballistix Gaming Memory DDR4 3600 16GB Kit (2x 8GB) running in XMP with 3600Mhz 
  • be quiet! PURE POWER 400W PSU
  • be quiet! PURE ROCK 2 CPU cooler
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 500GB
  • MS Windows 10 Pro Build 19043 with latest updates
  • latest Radeon Softwareversion 21.11.3 (released 16.11.2021)
  • 2x AOC Gaming C27G1 - 27" monitor (27G1G4) connected via:
    • Displayport running at 1920x1080 and 144Hz
    • HDMI running at 1920x1080 and 60Hz

Games statistics:

• League of Legends (running at 144fps cap) -> frequent  (like 1 out of 5 games)

CPU heat metric:

• the temperature of the CPU averages 62°C during gaming, so I doubt it has something to do with hitting the thermal limit

Summary:

As you can imagine, being left with a black screen during competitive gaming sucks big time!

Hence, any further help or suggestions to solve that issue are highly appreciated - thanks in advance!

0 Likes
11 Replies

Not sure but according to your Motherboard's IGPU specs the maximum DP and HDMI output is 60hz: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/A520M-DS3H-rev-1x/sp#sp

Screenshot 2021-12-14 200913.png

Since you are running the DP Display at 1920x1080@144hz not sure if that is within the motherboard's specs for its DP Video output.

0 Likes

thanks for that information - I looked further into the manual (https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_a520m-ds3h-ac_e_1201_v2.pdf?v=8b9929d35e8032...) and it is stated there on page 10:

"DisplayPort (Note 1)

[..]

Note: The DisplayPort
Technology can support a maximum resolution of 5120x2880@60 Hz but the actual resolutions supported
depend on the monitor being used."

For HDMI it is stated something similar, but since that 2nd monitor is running 60Hz anyway I wont bother further into it.

In conclusion: I don't think and agree with your idea that by running at 144Hz I'm using the motherboard not according to the tech. spec, as in the motherboard manual it is stated that the supported resolutions depend on the monitor itself.

However, for the sake of knowledge I will try to run the 1st DP monitor now with 60Hz and observe if the crashes still happen or not - I will report back accordingly.

0 Likes

@AR0x7e7 

Deleted my answer after I reread your original Post.

You mentioned you still have problems with just one Monitor installed. I didn't see that or skipped over it.

Then your problem is something else than what I stated in my previous reply.

I would check your PSU to make sure it is working correctly and giving out proper PSU Outputs. You can use OCCT to check that out. Observe all Temperatures and PSU Outputs during the testing if you use OCCT.

All of your PSU Outputs should be within a +/- 5% range for the 12.0/5.0/3.3 Vdc under heavy loads.

as an example your 12.0 Vdc should be a minimum of 11.4 Vdc or higher during idle or heavy loads.

also having 2 monitors connected requires more power and with a failing PSU can cause power issues to occur.

Since you need to physically turn off and then on the PSU to boot up again after crashing.

Overheating APU doesn't seem to be a factor since it is way below the Maximum Operating Temperature while playing games. But possibly something else is overheating.

Also could be a defective APU. I would ask AMD Support - Warranty and see if they believe your APU might be defective or needs to be RMAed to be checked from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Could also be a defective Motherboard so I would also open a Gigabyte Support ticket.

NOTE: Sorry about misleading you down the wrong path. I misread your original post. my fault.

0 Likes
DRDOS
Adept III

There could be a lot of reasons...
- In some cases it happens when a CPU factory overclocking modes are enabled.
- In some cases it happens if XMP memory profile is enabled.
- It may happen because of PSU-related issues.
- It may happen because of motherboard-related issues.
- Less likely but still worth to check this out - CPU and SoC DC-DC components temperatures, because it doesn't have a passive cooling on this motherboard model its power transistors temperature may reach very high values when using a "tower" type of CPU cooler.

Also, it could be a CPU-related issue, but it's highly unlikely. Though a probability of this is non-zero (such cases still happen), as a repair services statistics shows it's very low, not that much comparing to most of another issues that usually cause a general system instability.

By the way, this CPU has relatively low overclocking potential (that is above factory overclocking of 4.6 GHz). Which means, if it will be working stable with CPU factory overclocking disabled, you may want to try a "loadline calibration" option (if such one is available there in BIOS settings) to make it stable with CPU factory overclocking enabled.

You wrote "In some cases it happens if XMP memory profile is enabled." 

As of now, after having XMP disabled for 3 days, I did not see any black screen crash anymore; only sometimes during gaming the screen is flickering, but its much better then rebooting by hand.

I will come back in a few days to confirm that no more crashes happened with XMP off.

0 Likes

XMP is not the cause!

I just run into another black screen with XMP off  

The OCCT tests also did not reveal anything of significance ..

The latest post suggests to upgrade to a better hdmi cable, however my problem appears on the Display Port connected monitor (also if the other hdmi connected monitor is off). Hence, I don't see that as suitable for my solution.

Running out of ideas here .. 

0 Likes

Did u find any kind of solution? 

0 Likes

I am running into the exact same problem! Did you find a solution?

I also have the 5700G, 2 monitors (a 1080p monitor connected via hdmi and a 4k 60hz monitor connected via DP)

It's only the 4k monitor connected via DP that turns black sometimes. Mostly when gaming but sometimes not. The 1080p monitor is never affected. I’ve confirmed it’s nothing wrong with the monitor or DP cable as it works just fine on my other computer. I’ve messed with the memory just like you and determined that’s not the problem either. I have all the latest AMD drivers. I’m stuck!

0 Likes

Any solutions i have the same problem here 
specs:

ryzen 7 5700g

ram: aorus 16gb (2x8) 3333mhz

Motherboard: gigabyte b550 Ds3h

0 Likes
bilalkhan22
Journeyman III

I had a similar problem. Black screen trying to use igpu after installing AMD drivers. My old hdmi cable worked fine with my old GPU at 1080p 60fps, and I was running the new 5600g igpu at 1080p 60fps as well. For some reason the old hdmi cable wasn't good enough. I tried a newer 4k 60fps amazon basic hdmi cable and it finally worked.

0 Likes
Fran7
Journeyman III

I have the same problem. 5700G is the common denominator we all have. Even when running my lone 23.8 1080p 60hz monitor, I still experience this issue. When I leave it on overnight, it hangs and I can't click anything but my cursor is moving. Any fixes on this?

0 Likes