Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

scarphin
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 3800XT rdrand bug

Hi,

Recently I discovered my 5 years old cpu (Ryzen 7 1800X) had the infamous "linux bug" so I had to buy a new one (Ryzen 7 3800XT) which is compatible with my old motherboard (MSI X370 XPower Titanium) just to discover that the Ryzen 7 3000 series CPUs come with the "rdrand" bug.

Apart from the fact that this is extremely annoying, I tried a couple approaches to fix this.

1- I updated my bios to version (7A31v1MM) which includes (AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3a) but it didn't fix the issue. Apparently this is the only bios available for Ryzen 7 3800XT CPUs from MSI, listed on their support page here:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/x370-xpower-gaming-titanium/support#support-cpu

2- I installed the "amd64-microcode" package version (3.20191218.1) (Debian 11 Bullseye) without any success in fixing the issue. Actually the problem here is that microcode is NOT updated by this package, maybe because it's older than the one in bios. Or maybe even if it's updated it's not going to fix the issue. Can anyone confirm that this package includes the rdrand patch?

I'm not sure how to proceed from this point onward. I seriously doubt that MSI is going to release a bios update to fix this issue and I don't want to spend any extra for a new motherboard either as I've already trashed a buggy CPU.

So is this bug fixed in newly manufactured CPUs? Should I go for a RMA or do I have any other option?

Thank you in advance...

0 Likes
0 Replies