Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Temple1970
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 3800x temp

Hello all,

I'm sure this has been previously asked so apologies in advance.

This is my first build with AMD, never used one before always opting for the opposition.

I'm not a gamer just general user but I do some video re-encoding and will be completing some up scaling. 

My CPU is a 7 3800x which i'm relatively impressed with how ever this runs on a stock cooler. 

During re-encoding the temp hit 93 degrees, did not throttle back so I stopped the processes running. 

Obviously the stock heat sink is limited and not up to the job so I wish to replace it.

I'm limited in the size of the cooler as I have an ATX board and case.

Any recommendations for a smaller cooler (air) and what really is the maximum running temp and for how long?

Kind regards 

0 Likes
1 Reply

AMD Wraith are fine for normal computer use but under very heavy loads it does tend to get very hot.

PCPARTPICKER website is an excellent place to find the proper CPU Cooler that is compatible with the Ryzen 7 3800X.

When I needed to install a 3rd party Air CPU Cooler in my wife's Pre-built PC that are quite massive in size for cooling a FX8350 processor so I went to PCPARTPICKER and found my wife's computer case. Then at the bottom it mentioned all CPU Coolers that would fit in that computer case.

Here is PCPARTPICKER CPU Coolers for the Ryzen 7 3800x: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/?compatible_with=qryV3C

Now go an click on your computer case under "Case " then on the bottom left side click on "View Compatible CPU Coolers". Then compare all the CPU Coolers that will fit in your computer case with the list for the CPU Coolers for the Ryzen 7 3800X in the link above.

NOTE: The Ryzen 7 3800X has a high TDP Rating of 105 Watts. So you will need a CPU Cooler with at least 150 Watt rating. The Maximum Operating Temperature of the CPU is 95c. That means when the temp start reaching or reaches 95c the CPU will automatically start to throttle to lower the temperature back to 95c or below.

Noctua has very powerful Low profile Air CPU Coolers that you can use but they are expensive.  You an also install a AIO CPU Cooler that will fit in your computer case.

By the way, The AMD Prism comes with a tiny black switch on the outside of the Wraith case. One is for Silent and the other is for High Performance. Try setting the switch to High Performance and see if your CPU runs cooler. If not then it is best to purchase a 3rd Party CPU Cooler and keep the Prism as an emergency spare.