cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

exoric
Adept I

Ryzen 7 3800x Running at 60 C

So I just finished my build a few days ago. My Ryzen 7 3800X is running at idle 58-60 C. I have re-applied the thermal past to the wraith prism cooler and it seemed to have helped initially, but now not at all. The fan does kick in and lower it down to 55 C and then it spikes back up. I have read over most of the forms on idle temps and Mine seems to be the worst case. I have the AMD balance power plan, set to 5% for minimum power state as per another form I read suggested. Ryzen master crashes so I can't use it and honestly I tried to re-install it a dozen times using all methods in this form so at this point I can't be bothered. Its a brand new build with all new parts and its ridiculous it won't work (Ryzen master). I have the latest chip set and Bios. I am using the Asus Crosshair VIII hero, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 3200 MHz, and a Corsair MP600 1TB ssd. The case is a Corsair ICUE 220T with 3 built in fans at the front blowing loads of air through. Its a grated front so it has constant air flow. I have tried everything next to sending back this CPU...... Maybe someone here has some advice. I might be getting a cooler master AIO cooler to see if that helps. Oh and I have not overclocked anything. 

14 Replies

you probably used way too much thermal material, after application wipe it with a bank card

0 Likes

I used the uncooked grain of rice method. Everyone recommends their own way of doing it and non are wrong with the exception of too much or not enough. For me the method I use has always worked fine. It even helped bring down temps to 45 C for a bit. 

0 Likes

the plastic bankcard thins the layer nicely as defects are microscopic which are what need to be evened out

0 Likes

agreed its a good method, but microscopic as you state; a bank card wouldn't really help with. Also you can watch the gamersnexus or Linus tech tips videos on YouTube about thermal paste applications. The method I use shouldn't be an issue. I should also State I just did a solid hour of gaming and the temp rose to 70 C a few times but stay at 60 C for the most part. So... I am at a loss. 

0 Likes

both of them use far too much TIM

a 1/2 BB dot of MX-4 is plenty

0 Likes
exoric
Adept I

So I made a few adjustments. First Bulldog security, when I closed it my cpu is now idling at 50-54 C. It does constantly jump up to 70 C for no reason, and then the fan kicks in and it goes back down. Also Ryzen Master now works. So the anti virus was messing with everything. I ran some cine bench tests, my cpu never went over 80 C so that's good at least. Also with the antivirus on, my CPU only went up to 64 C while gaming for a few hours on Ark. 

0 Likes

i use the built in security which works

0 Likes
fernandofuvio
Journeyman III

Same problem here... Just bought and installed my 3800X and I'm hiting around 55 to 60 C idle. Cinebench gets me instantaneously to 90 C. Not sure what the problem is though... I had the original thermal compound on the cooler and switched to another thermal paste, but it didn't make any difference.

0 Likes

So I did a few things that seemed to fix it. I Idle at 43 C now. First download Ryzen master and switch to the AMD balanced power plan on windows. Go into change plan settings, change advanced settings, and then into power plan options. Go into Processor power management. In minimum processor state, set it to 5%. Next if you have any pre-installed bloatware disable it. My Asus board came with AI suite, and a bunch of other crap running in the background so I turned all that off. As well my antivirus that came with my motherboard seemed to always be scanning in the background forcing my Ryzen into Turbo. After I did that I get a lot cooler temps, as well in Cinebench it only went to 70-73 C. 

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes

I also have the same issue but the thing is I cannot find the option for processor power management under the power settings.

0 Likes

@exoric 
Do you have Epic Games launcher installed? 

0 Likes

I do not

0 Likes