cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

vol4ever
Adept I

Ryzen 7 3800x, MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge, Mystic Light sync cabling?

Trying to figure out how/where to plug in CPU fan for light control.  I know where the main integral fan plug goes and I know where the USB end of the "loose" cable goes, but for the life of me I can't figure out the tiny connector on the opposite end of the shipped loose cable.  Hope that makes sense.

Also stumped about software since so many different components have light feature, but I *think* I'll use Cooler Master once build is completed. Welcome comments on that as well.

Thanks in advance

~Vol

0 Likes
1 Solution

In the YouTube video, it shows that there are two ports on the CPU Cooler that are covered up. One of the two is where you plug in the tiny 3 pin cable on the CPU Cooler.

These images are from the YouTube video I linked in my previous reply.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Okay, I am presuming you purchased the Ryzen 7 3800X as a bundled Processor with a AMD Wraith Prism (RGB Programmable LED.

Just to verify from your Motherboard Manual concerning CPU Fan and LED connections:

IF the CPU Cooler LED Cable is for 12 Volts this is how you connect it to the Motherboard:

IF the CPU Cooler Programmable Cable is 5 Volts here is how to connect it the motherboard:

Double check the LED cables to see if it mentions what voltage they are and connect it according to your manual. Possible the Wraith Prism manual might indicate what type of voltage the LED cable uses.

NOTE: I have uploaded your motherboard's Manual for you to download and read it at your convenience. Personally it is a very well designed manual with lots of pictures to prevent mistakes. Since I needed to download the manual anyways to take a look at it.

0 Likes

These YouTube gives installation instructions on the Wrath Prism: Ryzen 7 3800X Review, Install & Quick Look at Wraith Prism RGB CPU Cooler - YouTube 

The tiny 3 pin connector connects to the CPU Cooler while the USB has one pin plugged on it. So you connected to the USB on the motherboard that has that same pin that is plugged on the USB is showing the pin missing.

0 Likes

Yes.  I have all that, and I've read the manual cover to cover several times.  And yes I have the 3800x bundle which included the fan.  The problem is that fan only has a single integral connector cable as shown on page 3 of the manual BUT there were 2 extra cables in same Ryzen box.  This isn't the best pic in the world, but here they are.

From what I've read 1, BUT NOT BOTH, are required depending on which lighting control being planned.  I'm hoping to use AMD's "flavor" of Cooler Master & that would be the one on the right marked USB.  I know where the USB end connects on Mobo, but where does that tiny end plug?  I would think somewhere on the fan itself, but it only has the single integral cable described above.

I'm also hoping to use Cooler Master to control *all* the RGB lighting on the various components as opposed to trying to keep up with a bunch of different copies.  Hope this question is clearer.

20191227_135202.jpg

In the YouTube video, it shows that there are two ports on the CPU Cooler that are covered up. One of the two is where you plug in the tiny 3 pin cable on the CPU Cooler.

These images are from the YouTube video I linked in my previous reply.

You are absolutely correct (and I'm an idiot).  Those looked like some type of markings on the fan case and I paid them zero attention.  Felt like a dolt when I rubbed my finger across and found out they were actually little rubber plugs covering connector ports.  Duh.

Everything wired up now.  Was originally planning to use Cooler Master, but tech support advised that would only control CPU fan colors.  Probably going to switch to MSI's Mystic Light package as I'm looking for an "all in one" color control solution.  Also saw some user created stuff on github which I may check out.  Sometimes (usually?) global community develops software that totally blows away manufacturer's versions in terms of both functionality and user friendliness.  I *love* that site & have found all kinds of neat software gems over the years.

~Vol

Github is a developer's website. So you can find many cool programs there.

That has happened to me also about not finding the rubber cover over a port. so don't feel bad.

0 Likes

Hi ! I´ve got my AMD Ryzen 7 3800X recently and had the same doubt. Thanks to all you !

The only issue: I´´'m still in doubt about your statement:  "From what I've read 1, BUT NOT BOTH, are required depending on which lighting control being planned"

My MoBo does not have RGB headers (ASUS PRIME A520m-a), but I do have a manual fun controller (using the 'reset' button to change fun colors)

My question is: is it possible to plug BOTH cables (USB and RGB) in my computer?

Since the RGB cable is manually controlled, it should be possible to use both possibilities...

Thanks for your attention !

0 Likes