cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

luigi11ism
Adept I

Ryzen 7 3800x High temp with wraith prism cooler

I have a Ryzen 7 3800x using wraith prism cooler, Motherboard is MSI X570 Gaming pro carbon wifi, and G.Skill 16 GB ram 3600MHz, the BIOS is updated to the latest update, same thing with the chipset update. I'm using NZXT Cam to monitor the temperature and AMD Ryzen Master. The weird thing is they show different temps together, i don't know who to trust or is there really a problem with the CPU or the thermal paste. Temperature is 57 up to 81 while only opening Chrome, Wallpaper Engine, and Discord. Maximum has been 95 all are celsius i want to know as soon as possible. Thank you for reading.

0 Likes
8 Replies

I would trust Ryzen Master's temps before trusting NZXT temps.

Your processor's maximum operating temperature is 95C. Once temps start reaching or reach and pass 95C, the processor will automatically start to throttle or reduce frequencies to reduce the amount of power it uses thus lowering the temperature to 95C or below.

What does Ryzen Master show while at Idle or under load for Temperatures?

0 Likes

It shows around 80C to 88C, is that normal or not?

0 Likes

Okay, I deleted all my replies since I misread your original post and it didn't concern your problem.

Okay you have an "Air" CPU Cooler installed, the AMD Prism that came bundled with your processor.

That should keep your processor from overheating under idle or loads. Maybe under a CPU Stress test it might go above 80C.

So, if you are getting high temperatures at idle, above ~60-65C than you may have your Prism installed incorrectly and not making good contact with the processor's surface.

Make sure the Fan is running 100% when the temperatures goes above 70C.

That the Prism is on tightly and evenly secured to the processor. This Youtube video shows how to install the Prism on the 3800X AMD Processor: Ryzen 7 3800X Review, Install & Quick Look at Wraith Prism RGB CPU Cooler - YouTube 

Watching the youtube video the AMD Prism has a small switch on the side (Black) that gives you two settings: High and Low. See if the switch is on "HIGH" and if isn't then switch it to "High" and see if it helps with your temperatures.

Also make sure you removed the plastic clear covering that covers the Thermal paste on the Prism Heat sink.

0 Likes

It's fine, i changed it with NZXT Kraken x53 and now the temperature is 38c while i'm talking to you, barely goes to 47c it's always at 41c or 43c but now it's on 38c and that's a normal temperature when not doing anything, while i'm playing i get around 50 to 60 sometimes 48 even and i'm truly happy about it. I'm closing the discussion, thank you for everything.

luigi11ism wrote:

It's fine, i changed it with NZXT Kraken x53 and now the temperature is 38c while i'm talking to you, barely goes to 47c it's always at 41c or 43c but now it's on 38c and that's a normal temperature when not doing anything, while i'm playing i get around 50 to 60 sometimes 48 even and i'm truly happy about it. I'm closing the discussion, thank you for everything.

That is a fairly popular cooler that does its job well. Beware that all AIO coolers like that do eventually run out of liquid. Takes about 5 years.

The Be Quiet! Pure Loop AIO has a refill port.  I don't know why they don't put one on all high end liquid coolers.  If I'm going to spend $100+ on a cooling solution, I don't want to wonder how long I have till it permeates enough liquid to be useless.

0 Likes

Have to be mindful of the pump also..

I would be looking at replacing the entire thing at the 4 - 5 year mark regardless the brand.. possibly even sooner if heavy workload / OCs running higher temps..

That or hope AMD's thermal protection does it's job..? 🤔

@SolidSnk85 wrote:

The Be Quiet! Pure Loop AIO has a refill port.  I don't know why they don't put one on all high end liquid coolers.  If I'm going to spend $100+ on a cooling solution, I don't want to wonder how long I have till it permeates enough liquid to be useless.

0 Likes

95C is about where your CPU will be thermal throttling.

I suggest Arctic MX-4 and use a very small amount which should improve your thermal situation

0 Likes