cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ryzen 7 3800 xt

Hi all! First time post! I have a question. I just bought a ryzen 7 3800 xt. It is the base 3.9 version. My computer will shutdown when using lightroom. So far no shutdown during gaming or anything else.  I ran OCCT and on the large blocks the CPU handles everything great. On the small blocks it overheats and shuts down at 85 c. If I disabled the cpu boost features in bios it doesn't overheat and handles everything fine. I updated the drivers from gigabyte but not the bios. Bios version is f2 which is supposed to support this CPU. Is this normal? Do I just need a better cooler?

System is a

Ryzen 7 3800 xt

Gigabyte 550m aurora

Mugen5 air cooler

650w psu

0 Likes
1 Solution

I had a similar issue when I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 3700X (65 Watt TDP). I installed a Hyper212 EVO with two fans in a Push/Pull configuration. Both fans had a maximum Fan speed of around 1950 RPMs (less than 100 CFM)

When I ran OCCT CPU test with both Large and Medium packet my CPU didn't overheat and ran the test successfully. But when I used the Small Packet CPU Test (Best test for CPU stability) it overheated within seconds.

I set OCCT max Temp on Settings to 96C. One degree hotter than the Ryzen Maximum Operating Temperature of 95C. So once the CPU reaches 96C it will automatically stop the CPU Test.

I left everything in BIOS on default but replaced the Pull fan with a High CFM Fan (200 CFM) running on high all the time (non-Pwm Fan).

Now I can run OCCT CPU test with small packet and the temperature never goes above 70C.

In your case the Ryzen 3800X is a higher wattage then the 3700X. Your Ryzen has a 105 Watt TDP.  See if you can add a high CFM second fan to your CPU Cooler otherwise you may need to upgrade to a liquid CPU Cooler.

From what I read Adobe Lightroom uses the CPU mostly for rendering which probably explains why it shut down from overheating.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I had a similar issue when I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 3700X (65 Watt TDP). I installed a Hyper212 EVO with two fans in a Push/Pull configuration. Both fans had a maximum Fan speed of around 1950 RPMs (less than 100 CFM)

When I ran OCCT CPU test with both Large and Medium packet my CPU didn't overheat and ran the test successfully. But when I used the Small Packet CPU Test (Best test for CPU stability) it overheated within seconds.

I set OCCT max Temp on Settings to 96C. One degree hotter than the Ryzen Maximum Operating Temperature of 95C. So once the CPU reaches 96C it will automatically stop the CPU Test.

I left everything in BIOS on default but replaced the Pull fan with a High CFM Fan (200 CFM) running on high all the time (non-Pwm Fan).

Now I can run OCCT CPU test with small packet and the temperature never goes above 70C.

In your case the Ryzen 3800X is a higher wattage then the 3700X. Your Ryzen has a 105 Watt TDP.  See if you can add a high CFM second fan to your CPU Cooler otherwise you may need to upgrade to a liquid CPU Cooler.

From what I read Adobe Lightroom uses the CPU mostly for rendering which probably explains why it shut down from overheating.

There is extra clips in the cooler set. I added another 120mm fan and it helped a lot to have a push/pull setup. I'm going to replace them with better fans when I get a chance. Thank you! So far so good, this definitely helped out.

This is the High CFM fan I purchased from Amazon. So far it seems to work correctly but will run full speed all the time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LLYQ2VE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screenshot 2020-12-16 133938.pngScreenshot 2020-12-16 133938.png

My motherboard does control the speed of the High CFM Fan even though it isn't a PWM fan with a 4 pin connector through other means. Here is my OCCT Fans showing the speeds it is running at the moment without stress. Both Fans are 3 pin connections but controlled by the motherboard.

Note the fan doesn't run at 4000 RPM though but it is fine with me. This fan CFM is almost double the CFM of both of my 1950  RPM fans I had before together.

Amazon has other more expensive possibly better high CFM fans but I was looking for a cheap alternative to see if it would work or not.

0 Likes

Thank you!