cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

oxandrolone91
Adept II

Ryzen 7 3700x vs Ryzen 9 3900x

So I'm planning to upgrade to Ryzen 9 3900X. How much added frames can I get if I do this? Around what range of improvement do I expect to get, will it around be +10 to 20 more fps?  

Specs 

MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi Board
Ryzen 7 3700x (Current)
MSI Armor RTX 2070 8gb 
32gb 3000mhz TForce Nighthawk RAM
500gb NVMe Samsung 970 Evo Plus (for my main games that I play)

0 Likes
5 Replies

As far as gaming goes, there's effectively no difference between the two, look at the TomsHardware review, simply because games can't take advantage of the additional CPU cores. You'll experience a much greater performance increase by upping your GPU to a 2070 Super, where you will see double digit FPS increases.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ryzen-9-3900x-7-3700x-review,6214.html

I see, Well the only reason why I'm planning to take the Ryzen 9 for now, is that my current budget for this upgrade is about $600 (yea R9 costs about 600 ish in the Philippines) I was thinking of saving up for a 2080ti around ber-months. 

0 Likes

nVidia's new generation of cards will be out before then, and are supposedly 40-50% faster with twice the ray tracing capability, so that $1200 2080 Ti may be the next $500 RTX 3070.

I checked out RTX 2080 Super, I can probably make it by next month. Do you think its worth it? Or should I just go for the Ryzen 9 now and wait for new gpu's end of the year? O_O

ferrrrrrrrrrkkk this is so confusing.. hahaha I hate this stage of "upgrading" 

0 Likes

Honestly, neither, because later this year AMD will be releasing the Ryzen 4000 series based on the Zen 3 archetecture which, according to Lisa Su, will be as revolutionary as Zen 1 was, and will deliver on the order of 50% increased performance. There are no details out now on if it will fit into existing Socket AM4 boards, or if they will be using a new socket, but again you'd be paying a massive price premium for a high end part which may end up being only as powerful as this year's mid range.

I'm still using my 1800X and Fury Nano for those reasons...

0 Likes