cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

girop
Adept I

Ryzen 7 3700x Temperatures

Hi, i bought yesterday my new R7 3700x. My motherboard is an MSI x370 Pro Gaming Carbon.. i know it is very old, but in the next months, i will provide to take a new motherboard. So the point is: Ryzen Master says that my idle temperature is 49%55° C, when i run a Cinebench R20 test my temperature go to 82°C... I'm under stock heatsink with 'H' profile selected. Is all correct? Maybe the temperature is too much high? if yes, change the thermal paste will help? Thank you so much for the support!

0 Likes
17 Replies
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Temp sounds right for the stock cooler. Maybe not the idle tho, but that will depend on what your ambient temp is and what processess you have running in the back ground. If you have certain bloatware applications or tools installed, such as iCue, or never close Chrome, Steam, or other such apps, you'll never truely idle and will always run a tad bit hotter.

One thing about Zen 2 processor operation is the TDP is basically thrown out the window with default operation until you go and jump through some minor hoops to make it function like Zen and Zen +. That minor hoop is going into bios, enabling PBO to manual mode, and changing the PPT(w) limit from auto to processor TDP, either 65 or 105 depending on your model. You'll be less likely to experience those temperatures during R20 afterword.

Hello, thank you for your answer… the room temperature is around 25°C maybe a little bit high… If i set in this way the PBO the performance  will remain unchanged? If i'm not falling in mistake the TDP of my R7 is 65w, i will try... So do you think that i don't have to worry about temp? 

Edit: i don't have any bloatware, was running only Origin and Kaspersky.

0 Likes

Nope, All-core performance will drop, but you will be running at base clock rather than throttle temp based default operation. In the end you dont really need to do anything. Temperature under default operation will stay within safe levels.

One thing you do need to make sure you have done is update to the latest chipset drivers if you havent already. They are step one to helping with those idle tems. There will eventually be a new bios for your board based on MSI's speed on getting it out to x370 that will further help with idle temps.

Thank you another time… i've already updated my chipset drivers. I'm a Computer Science Engineer, then my normale use is develop software with Visual Studio or write PHP web app, i think that these softwares aren't a problem for temperature. Sometimes, in relax time, i play with my pc, this could be a problem for temperature? I'm sorry for my hundreds questions but i'm new in Ryzen 3 Series.

EDIT: my chipset is an older version than the version on amd website link (because i've downloaded it from msi website), but the package that i can download from your link is corrupted… any solution?

0 Likes

Another thing that could've helped at quickly lowering your idle temps (other than getting a better cooler) would have been the new Agesa 1.0.0.3abba Bios (Stable version). Currently using that bios right now on an x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi and it significantly reduced Idle voltages and temps, voltages/temps under load are also slightly lower while still achieving better performance than the older Bios.

Unfortunately its still not available for x370 boards, worse so for older MSI boards since they take forever to update Bios for them if they plan to do it at all, can only wait and see if they ever release a stable version for your board but i think by that time, you would have upraged to a newer board anyway. 

P.S : Avoid MSI for your future board purchase, Seeing Allot of problems for their entire AM4 lineup right now so its Best to wait for the cheaper B550 boards from other board venders.

0 Likes

Hello,

i've bought the msi x370 for choice i haven't any money problems… for personal experience :

1) in 2008 i bought my first (self-bought) CPU, intel core 2 duo e8400 with Asus x48 Motherboard… MB died after 1 month… replaced with ASRock… died after 1 year

2) in 2009 i bought the AMD Phenom II with ASRock 990Fx extreme 9... died after 2 years

3) in 2011 i bought the intel Core i7 2600k with MSI P67A GD53.... the motherboard (and the entire system) still works

4) in 2017 i bought the AMD Ryzen 7 1700 with MSI x370 pro gaming carbon… today all works fine also with R7 3700x

This is my opinion and my data, i consider the MSI a good vendor for motherboard performed my personal experience. I want to clarify that i'm not an overclocker and i don't do any form of overclock. I hope in your understanding.

in the next future i will buy a x570 motherboard

The x370 and x470 boards are mostly fine, only problem with them being MSI pretty much havent updated their bios for them in a long while which means your not getting the latest bios fixes for the new Ryzen chips compared to other board venders (Almost all x370 still stuck with 1.0.0.3a and Most x470 still on 1.0.0.3abb Beta).

Its the new MSI x570 board lineup thats all messed up right now, you can go check the MSI forums yourself and you wont find any shortage of problems being reported there when it comes to the MSI's x570 Line, its why i dont reccomend buying them for now atleast. 

And i do own multiple AM4 boards from MSI (x370 paired with a 1700 used for FreeNas, x470 with a 2600 used for my dedicated racing rig plus the x570 paired with a 3900x that I'm now using for blender) and and iv'ed personally encountered allot of problems on the MSI x570 line compared to the other x570 boards (some of them pretty nasty, like the bios would sometimes randomly  corrupting itself when you change save settings) from gigabyte and Asus that I've built for other people.

For this time i trust in you.. i'm going to buy the Asus TUF Gaming Plus, what do you Think about?

0 Likes

This video should help you decide feature wise when it comes to Asus Boards. Honestly you should probably wait for the B550 boards even if you dont plan to buy them (this should also give you some time to wait for more mature Bios versions), Ive seen the leaked specs for it and i kinda like the fact that for its price, some of them actually have heatpipes on the VRM heatsinks, the only downside to the B550 is that it uses PCI-E 3.0 instead of 4.0. Though if you do see an x570 board that you like for a decent price this coming hollidays then i say go for it.

Something else you should be aware of when moving from x370 to x570 is performance, You may or may not experience this (i did, when i tested my 3900x on both a Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 and then on to my MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi) but funnilly enough your Ryzen 3000 proccessor may perform better on an x370 than on the x570, at first i didnt know why it was doing this on my 3900x but then i found out it was because the Less powerfull VRMs on my x370 was just way more efficient than the more powerfull but less efficient ones on my new x570 lol, only downside being the VRMs on the x370 board just runs significantly hotter with my 3900x so it was still better to use x570 on it in the end.

Should also check This out first if you plan on buying a PCI-E Gen4 NVME drive

Hello, thank you for your answer... In the end i've choose to buy the Asus TUF X570-Plus Gaming... it seems a Good motherboard... i've decided to  assemble a second system with R7 1700 and the x370 pro Gaming carbon... tomorrow i will test the R7 3700x with the new motherboard (i found it on e-price, from 299€ to 222€). I hope in better performance and not to experience the vrm problem Ahahah on the web i've read Good things on variuos reviews

0 Likes

Hello, i'm here to update you… I've installed the TUF Gaming X570-plus. Now my temperatures are: Idle 38°C, load 79°C...

The most relevant data are the Performance:

MSI x370 -> 4621 on Cinebench R20

Asus X570 -> 4881 on Cinebench R20

All this without formatting, only a driver erase.. For me is a good perfomance jump

0 Likes

Those Temps look pretty much in line with what most people using the Wraith Cooler are getting so your temps look to be fine. From those scores Looks like the TUF gaming has better VRMs than i thought, it actually does infact have better VRMs than what i have on my MSI x570 Pro Carbon Wifi, only reason i didnt get one was at the time i was buying parts, everything else was out of stock and MSI Had a promo for theirs that included a free 240 AIO haha.

Also another thing you can change to lower your temps even more is the power plan, Just Edit the AMD Ryzen Balanced Power plan that shows up after you install the new chipset drivers and change the minimum processor state to 85% (the lower the minium, the lower your idle voltage and proc state) and leave the Maximum to 100%. you can Lower the minimum even more if you want to further lower your idle voltages but your gonna start noticing lower perfomance under load if you do, cause the lower the minimum state your CPU is at, the longer it is for that CPU reach its max boost Speeds (you can actually test this out with CB R20 and change your PowerPlan the way you want it), 85% was what i and other early Ryzen3000 users found to be the sweet spot.

I actually just switch power Profiles depending on white im currently doing, if im just watching movies or browsing the net/downloading something then i switch to Power Saving mode, and if my doing something that needs more power and performance like blender, Handbrake or gaming , then i just switch to my modified Ryzen Power Plan that has the 85% minimum proc state.

0 Likes

Thank you for this tips, i will search my perfect Combination!! For the most time i develop software with Visual Studio or php Web App… in the remaining time… hard gaming ahah So I need a lot of power for compile (in human time) big softwares… for this I use Ryzen, it is much faster than concurrency

0 Likes

Hardware Unboxed also did in depth VRM testing for each of the X570 boards in each price tier (Except the Crosshair VIII Formula which would be on top easily) and found that pretty much every MSI board below the Godlike did very poorly on VRMs and are basically hot garbage. The ASUS TUF and Prime X570 boards do extremely well with VRM temperatures. The prime is a better choice over the TUF however for the best mid to low end board VRM performance. But, he does recommend the TUF over the Prime because of board features since the VRM performance is still great.

2019.09.27-16.40.png

This sound great! For now i'm very satisfaced of my TUF for performance, temperatures and power consumption... i want to tune a little bit my power plan to find the right Balance. However, this article is very instresring! I've never seen before a thing like this.

0 Likes

Weird, it runs for me after extracting the .exe file. Its downloaded as a .zip file so make sure to extract the .exe file first.

0 Likes