cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Frito
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 3700x running very hot

I just upgraded to a ryzen 7 3700x from my ryzen 5 2600 and almost instantly saw no performance increase so I looked into ryzen master and say when gaming I was hitting 90 celcius! Yes this is on the cooler than came with the CPU. I instantly closed everything trying to cool my cpu. I have realized ryzen masters default control mode is boosting it to 4.2 MHz so I put it to manual and set it to 3.6 MHz with 1.1 volts. Games still don’t run great and I am idling at 55 celcius and in game I can be in mid 80’s. I have been looking for solutions for hours but am not able to do much. 
my specs

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 3200 DDR4

motherboard: Msi x470 gaming plus

GPU: RTX 2060

0 Likes
6 Replies
Pixzul
Adept I

Hi I run a razen 7 3800 and don't have these issues but have a corsair aio liquid cooler this might be your only solution but even running max clock speeds 4.2ghz its stable at around 60-70 when pushed. Daft question what thermal compound are you using or did you put the stock cooler on with the pre applied paste.

0 Likes

I am using the stock cooler with stock paste. If I find no solutions liquid cooler will be installed 

0 Likes

The stock cooler that came with that 3700x should be fine while often the Stealth that comes with the 3600 is pretty anemic the wraith prism that comes with the 3700x is really pretty good on that 65w processor. That doesn't mean it can't be defective or that maybe you have a mounting issue. I would take it off and clean off the thermal paste assuming you have some replacement paste you can use. There have been reports in these forums of some of the coolers having issues with the base heatpipes not being flush as they should be and not making good contact. Or even a fan could be defetive and not running as fast as it should. Even though your 2600 cooler is a lesser cooler you could also just test your old cooler on there to see if by chance it is any better. If it is, it may be a good indicator that you also have a cooler issue. Anyway if you suspect a cooler issue or just a bum CPU and are in the first 30 days exchange it with the retailer and try another. All that being said, yes even a cheap aftermarket cooler would be generally better than what comes with it. I use a Coolermaster 212 evo with my 3700x and it is much better than the stock cooler. 

Before doing any of the above I would reset your bios to defaults. Don't change anything and retest. Use AMD ryzen ballanced for your power plan and see what Ryzen Master reports for you temps. Then try the above if that does not help and see where you are now in Ryzen Master. 

If you are past your 30 days and need to RMA that cooler and CPU you can start that process here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

0 Likes

I think it might be a cooling issue. So you say the cooler master hyper 212 evo is a good option for the 3700x?

0 Likes

Keeps mine cool about 37 at idle and never over 76 under full load. 

0 Likes

Go into the motherboard bios and reset all the overclock settings to default. Boot into windows and close down all of you applications including apps that run in the background. Install ryzen master AMD Ryzen™ Master Utility for Overclocking Control | AMD.  With only ryzen master running check your temps and volts. You should get around 30-40c at idle with under 1v.

Then turn on your apps or adjust the bios settings one by one and continue to monitor ryzen master and see which app is making it spike. You can turn on the graph in settings to the the temp history. I found corsair icue and having a mouse with 1000hz will run the cpu hot even when idling.

Took me up almost 3 days to get mine set up. Background apps are usually the culprit along with mother overclock settings that are too high. 

P.S. also make sure to install the latest chipset drivers and use ryzen balanced power plan.

0 Likes