cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

thirteenth
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 7 3700x PBO doesnt boost to 4.4Ghz

I just updated bios to 5220 AGESA ABBA, after bios update one thing that I change in bios was I enabled XMP profile of my RAM 3200Mhz 16CL. All else i didnt change (all bios configurations are by default). After I booted and made some CPU stresstest, my RyzenMaster showd me boost to 3.99Ghz on all cores with 1.28-1.29V and temps under 68C. After this I changed and forced PBO in bios in Tweak and Andvanced tabs (enablaed both PBO). After this I got in stresstest boost to 4.175Mhz all cores, voltage 1.45 - 1.47 and temps near 90C. 
Basicaly this ABBA bios dindt change anything, or I got some problems with CPU, right now I got back to my manual OC to 4.3Ghz with 1.325V under stress 76-78C.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

The advertised boost frequency is single core loads. if you weren't seeing 4.4 in something like Cenebench R15 or R20 single core run before, or AMD recommended PCmark10 for verifying single core boost speeds (i prefer cenebench...), you should be seeing it now. All core loads wont see much of a change with this update, and AMD likes to overvolt then and now. PBO temperature and voltage is normal. It will push the processor up to the thermal limit before throttling or the hard safe voltage limit regardless of temperature, whichever comes first. Everyone will still be able to get more out of a manual overclock based on their own cooling capability, but often give up on the processors max frequency in the process. But if your temps were only near 90C with that 1.45-1.47 they were applying for an all core stress test you may be able to just set 4.4ghz manual yourself.

I would, myself, like to personally tell AMD that they could be running the processors faster with the voltage they are applying, and for 3900x's they could be running CCD0 cores much faster than CCD1 cores. But, they are playing it extremely safe for guaranteed stability.

0 Likes
thirteenth
Adept I

I think I have some problems with CPU, because then i manual OC processor to 4.4Ghz, it reboots on full-load tests. I tested and rise voltage from 1.35 till 1.45 but no stable work, I didnt try to rise voltage to 1.4625 or higher.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Interesting. I guess even 3800x and below are special binned in some way. CCX1 Might be the culprit. Have you tried CCX overclocking? put 4.4 in CCX0 and 4.3 in CCX1

But, since the processor max is 4.4, its probably really not doable without going 1.4625 or higher.

0 Likes