Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

thirteenth
Adept I

Ryzen 7 3700x PBO doesnt boost to 4.4Ghz

Hi,

Sorry I was unable to post this typewritten as I kept getting an error message saying "Discussion blocked due to potentially offensive language", so I post an attached image of the question instead.

0 Likes
23 Replies
shinkojiro
Miniboss

The bios you are using doesn't contain the AGESA ABBA that fixes boost speed deficits caused by AB and ABB.

Oh I see, thankyou very much, I guess I'll wait then Asus will update to new bios.

0 Likes

If you dont want to wait for an official one, here is a beta bios here:

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f248/agesa-1-0-0-3-abba-fuer-b350-boards-1245439.html#post2713... 

Flash at your own risk  but if you do, be sure to reset CMOS prior to, and use bios flashback and not the ezflash utility in bios.

I also got my Crosshair VIII formulas beta 1001 1.0.0.3ABBA bios from here.

0 Likes

These 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU s are struggling to reach their maximum boost speeds.

AMD are releasing BIOS updates on the 30th of September to address boosting issues.

Also the 4.4 GHZ is only the single core boost speed and not all cores.

My 3700x boosts to 4225 MHZ during gaming on all cores.

Andy

0 Likes

What is your voltage and temps? What cooler do you got?

0 Likes

I use the stock Wraith Prism cooler.

My gaming temperatures are around 65c although I do use a negative voltage offset of - .100 volts.

Prior to this I was getting around 78c during gaming which was the same case with my 2700x before I upgraded to the 3700x.

The offset has no adverse effect on performance either but really does reduce temperatures.

Andy

0 Likes

Wut? They sent out the fixed AGESA to board partners around the 10th of September already. Some Boards have new bios out already, some do not.

0 Likes

Yes so owners of existing boards, like myself, will be able to download the updated BIOS on 30th September to improve boost speeds.

0 Likes

Youre giving misinformation. On September 30th there will be an SDK for monitoring software so software developers can make their monitoring software, such as HWInfo, function to the same level as Ryzen Master. That has nothing to do with boost clocks. Boost clock fix was issued September 10th, before then in actuality, to Board partners, and the time they release their bios is dependent on their own testing and validation time. Some of which already had it available within a day for select boards.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2019/09/10/ryzen-community-update-bios-updates-for-b... 

I've already shared a link to a beta bios for his particular board. They cannot make a "One Bios fits all" so they are released as they come.

0 Likes

It wasn't misinformation from me - the manufacturers are releasing final BIOSes at the end of this month to address boost speeds.

Quote from the link you sent - 'These improvements will be available in final BIOSes starting in about three weeks’ time.'

0 Likes

you havent been paying much attention nor read the post correctly. BIOS are already out. theyve been out. AMD doesnt determine when board partners will release beta or final bios based on their AGESA fixes. they come when they come and theyve already come. You just havent even looked. 

0 Likes

So basically vendors must release updated bios, and in this case, I should write and ask ASUS when they will release update?

0 Likes

No need to contact them. They are working on them from new to old. Every board vendor has had X570 bios out for over a week now. There are a few X470 available including a beta for yours (Crosshair VII coming first for ASUS). There is a test bios for B450 availiable for one ASUS Strix model, and they'll come as they finish them up. X570 was just a priority and X470 a secondary.

ROG Crosshair VIII Formula BIOS & FIRMWARE | Motherboards | ASUS USA 

Boost clock fix bios released on the 12th, not the 30th.

0 Likes

Can I use bios from ROG Crosshair VIII Formula on my ASUS PRIME X470-pro?

0 Likes

no, the link to yours is in my reply to you 2 days ago. Your boards bios has been available since the 13th.

0 Likes

incase you didnt see that its in a post:

ASUSTreiber.de - Cloud your bios.

0 Likes

I just updated bios to 5220 AGESA ABBA, after bios update one thing that I change in bios was I enabled XMP profile of my RAM 3200Mhz 16CL. All else i didnt change (all bios configurations are by default). After I booted and made some CPU stresstest, my RyzenMaster showd me boost to 3.99Ghz on all cores with 1.28-1.29V and temps under 68C. After this I changed and forced PBO in bios in Tweak and Andvanced tabs (enablaed both PBO). After this I got in stresstest boost to 4.175Mhz all cores, voltage 1.45 - 1.47 and temps near 90C. 
Basicaly this ABBA bios dindt change anything, or I got some problems with CPU, right now I got back to my manual OC to 4.3Ghz with 1.325V under stress 76-78C.

0 Likes

The advertised boost frequency is single core loads. if you weren't seeing 4.4 in something like Cenebench R15 or R20 single core run before, or AMD recommended PCmark10 for verifying single core boost speeds (i prefer cenebench...), you should be seeing it now. All core loads wont see much of a change with this update, and AMD likes to overvolt then and now. PBO temperature and voltage is normal. It will push the processor up to the thermal limit before throttling or the hard safe voltage limit regardless of temperature, whichever comes first. Everyone will still be able to get more out of a manual overclock based on their own cooling capability, but often give up on the processors max frequency in the process. But if your temps were only near 90C with that 1.45-1.47 they were applying for an all core stress test you may be able to just set 4.4ghz manual yourself.

I would, myself, like to personally tell AMD that they could be running the processors faster with the voltage they are applying, and for 3900x's they could be running CCD0 cores much faster than CCD1 cores. But, they are playing it extremely safe for guaranteed stability.

0 Likes

I think I have some problems with CPU, because then i manual OC processor to 4.4Ghz, it reboots on full-load tests. I tested and rise voltage from 1.35 till 1.45 but no stable work, I didnt try to rise voltage to 1.4625 or higher.

0 Likes

Interesting. I guess even 3800x and below are special binned in some way. CCX1 Might be the culprit. Have you tried CCX overclocking? put 4.4 in CCX0 and 4.3 in CCX1

But, since the processor max is 4.4, its probably really not doable without going 1.4625 or higher.

0 Likes