Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

geoffreynm
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 3700X not boosting past 4050MHz

Hi

So I did some testing and monitoring with Ryzen Master and my CPU doesn't boost past 4050MHz on all cores when doing prime95.

I did some searching and all post are old by at least 5 months when everyone was saying Chipset drivers and BIOS updates were coming out to fix or had just come out, it also seems to be a common factor on the Asus motherboards which is what i have as well.

Is some one able to advise how I can remedy this and get my boost to what they are meant to be, I dont have experience overclocking and tinkering with any setting, everything I know is from watching youtube or reading articles, and only found the bottleneck due to building the PC myself and testing for Stability with parts.

I wont be looking to manually overclock as don't rely need to, so just want my standard boost speed resolved and maybe once I learn a bit more over the next year I will look to overclock the system if I require the performance then.

I have done testing on Cinebench for multi and single core and for all cores still only hits 4050MHz for 4551pts and also did single core test and still single core only hits max 4050MHz with 468pts

Changing the power plans have no effect other than higher Idle time temp and speeds.

I have attached Snip of a start of a run where you see all the cores bottle at 4050Mhz, I have also checked Bios and it seems Max speed is set to 4050Mhz by default 

Both test are run at Ryzen High performance power plan.

below are my PC specks

X570 Asus TUF gaming PLUS wifi

Ryzen 7 3700x

2 x 8 gig 3600mhz C16 RAM

1TB PCIe 4 NVMe Corsair MP600

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW

Lian li Air RGA 8 x PWN fans

Deepcool Castle 360 RGB

Riotoro Enigma G2 750W

AMD Chipset 1.11.22.454

Bios version: 1405

Any help will be much appreciated thanks

0 Likes
5 Replies
geoffreynm
Journeyman III

Hi

So I did some testing today and found that my CPU Ratio was locked at 40.50 = 4050MHz which is why none of my boosts or any type of auto boosting or auto overclocking was going past 4050MHz.

I manually changed my Ratio to 44.00 = 4400MHz and still just kept my power settings on auto. when running my test now single core now hits 4400MHz good temps and power and when running Multi core test all cores hit 4400MHz at same but power increases to over 100 but from test my temps did go over 75 degress.

As mentioned before I dont have experience with overclocking so not sure if this going to be detrimental to my PC or not and is a correct solution so if any can advise back on this will be much appropriated.

Kind Regards

0 Likes

geoffreynm,  I am not an OCer, but you should know it voids you warranty.  AMD offers Ryzen Master to do your OCing.  I strongly recommend you stop manually OCing and tell us what you want to do.  Please see my other post.  For real OCing I recommend you go to an OC Forum, like Overclock.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

geoffreynm, maximum boost applies to single core only.  Please stop running Hwinfo, stop manual OCing, open Settings and uninstall any junk applications like HWinfo and Command Centers.  Do a Clear CMOS, run Cinebench R20 Single Core and post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Make sure NOTHING except CB is running - no browsers etc.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi John

So I have done as requested, cleared CMOS. uninstalled Hwinfo,(didnt have anything else installed other than Ryzen Master and Hwinfo to begin with). see screen shot of Ryzen master now. single cores now boost almost to 4400mhz, highest I saw was 4372MHz, which for me is good enough for stock and auto boost.

I think I figured out what the problem was, it was the Asus Bios OC tuning setting, their optional auto OC mode you can switch on which i did, as it gives the option to switch on and off but when switch it off it didn't change settings back to normal even when you click default reset, it seems it tunes and changes settings in the bios to put stable at 4050MHz for all Cores setting CPU Ratio at 40.50. it seems the CMOS clear has now actually reset the setting to default.

Should I be concerned now about my Multi core Test as it really is worse compared to the OC tuning settings at 40.50?  

pastedImage_1.png

Multi core test 

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

Thanks, geoffreynm.  I would advise all users to stay away from MB Vendor OC junk.  Either use RM or do it yourself with help from an good OC forum.  I think your single core run would be maybe much better if you will stop whatever else is running.  Cores C04 and C07 have something running.  Please make sure nothing else (No browsers etc) other than CB are running.  For my education, please post a screenshot of CPU-Z, MB tab-BIOS/AGESA versions.

As for your all core CB, PPT and TDC are RED indicating throttling.  EDC is yellow indicating close to throttling.  If you are willing to OC, you can raise the limits using RM.  Please DL the RM Quick Reference Guide (QRG) and see how.  It is somewhat confusing, do ask for help it need.  Thanks and enjoy, John.