cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

savenx
Adept I

Ryzen 7 3700x high voltage and temps (tried everything)

Hi people! Im using a Ryzern 7 3700x with a b450 tomahawk....

Im using WINDOWS BALANCED PLAN and i have DISABLED all PBO in Mobo settings...

Im using lastest bio and chipset update from amd.

But i my idle voltage is always above 1.4v, and this is getting me crazy, because even on normal tasks (like navigate on browser, the FAN speed go to like 100%, and the noise is annoying me.)

How i can fix that? Thanks

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
13 Replies
xlox
Forerunner

hi, fan speed is linked to temps , not to voltage

for the moment the first thing you can do is using power saver plan if browsing

than tell us you cooling method , your temps .. maybe your fan profile is too much aggressive

if you have a basic cooling fan like the basic one from amd , you can try to set offset to -0.1V in bios , this should make you gain 10° ...

0 Likes
savenx
Adept I

Hi. I am using the default cooler box, and even on power saving plan this problem is happing... Is offset safe to use? Do I have any other solution ? And how I can reduce idle voltage?

0 Likes
savenx
Adept I

I have a b450 tomahawk. I have disabled PBO and set the Core Voltage profile to OFFSET [-], and disabled core boost, and seems to work... but this is a temporary fix

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

did you do "offset - 0.1V" or just "offset -" and let the value at "auto" ?

a negative offset is safe , it reduces the voltage(but you ve got to test if your system is still stable , if not just put a offset - 0.05V)

the fact is default voltage are ok , amd says it , so believe it , don't believe people that think they know better than amd... they just base their thought on what they knew before ... negative offset is just the trick "like undervolting" to gain some temperature degrees, as you have the default stock cooler

don't forget that these cpu are 8 cores that overclocks (not a simple little "boost", it's overclock) so the heat and the voltage are normal .. the default vcore is 1.1V without OC ..

you say "it 's happening on power saving plan" ... what's happening? if on powersaving, you should be at 0.9V and 22200mhz or there is a probleme with your windows power saving plan

if you don't wan't a temporary fix , just upgrade your cooler, you can't expect a default stock fan to make a great solution for an overclocked cpu (depending on the cpu itself too)

again , what's important is not voltage it's temperatures .. as your voltage is the same as every one elses

savenx
Adept I

Hey Xlox, on my BIOS i found only the offset [-], i didnt change the value....

I enabled the "AMD COOL N QUIET" option on bios, and my Voltage on idle its on 0.9, even with the AMD Ryzen Balanced, i think i fixed it...

So, i think im good for now, and another question:

Is 40 - 45 degrees normal for common tasks? like browsing...

And those voltages are normal? Like 1.4v, and 1.5v? Thanks for the answer!

0 Likes
savenx
Adept I

So, its normal to get 70 - 75 degrees while playing? Those voltages are normal too? Thanks

0 Likes

it's not abnormal to have 75° with the type of cooler you have , and as i said, with the fact that you're cpu overclocks

try to find the negative offset value to change to - 0.1V and tell us if it's a little bit cooler

anyway if cpu gets too hot over a defined limit it will throttle... you can maximize the limit by changing your cooling system or just go with throttling or find a way to limit overclocking !

0 Likes

Its the default cooler im using, i just want to know if its safe this temp, since i dont have money rn to upgrade the cooler...

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Try installing the new chipset drivers and switch to they Ryzen Balanced power plan if you have not already

B450 Drivers & Support | AMD 

That wont change the idle voltage however, as that is ok. But it looks like something is doing something in the background anyway since its showing 37% of watt limit and 10% of amperage limits in use.

0 Likes

I have the lastest  driver...

"But it looks like something is doing something in the background anyway since its showing 37% of watt limit and 10% of amperage limits in use."

what about this?

0 Likes

If the processor is actually doing something then it will cause temperature to rise. Try closing background processes to see which may be the culprit. Can also check task manager to see what has the most CPU activity.

Other than all that, activity spikes will cause spikes in temperature, which AMD has said is normal already. To avoid sudden fan speed increases you would have to customize your fan curves to speed up at higher temperatures.

Thanks for the answer, i was worried, but u said its normal, then im ok now, thank u

0 Likes
salle
Journeyman III

Thing is that everything worked fine until the windows 1903 was installed. This happened to both my 2700x and now my 3700x. These cpu:s at default settings should lay about 2200mhz, the 2700x on 0.800ish volts,.and the 3700x at 0.900ish volts. When they are boosting 1,3- 1,45volts non stop, it is not their "normal" behavior. As for some of the AMD gurus saying "it's fully normal", no it's not! Maybe the cpu can take it, but why are people  then saying "No, you shouldn't overclock it om a daily 24/7 1.4 volts"? Like I Said, this happened to both of my Ryzen cpu:s after the 1903 update. I uninstalled it and now the 3700x goes down to idle exactly as it was built to do. Exactly this happened to my 2700x as well.

0 Likes