cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jamesx380fx
Elite

Re: Ryzen 7 3700X high temperatures

Its wallpaper engine that's preventing your CPU voltage from lowering at idle, I know this cause I also use wallpaper engine and noticed my 3900x would not drop voltages if its running in the background, even if you enable Cool'n'Quiet results would be the same (also be aware that even though Cool'n'Quiet will drop your idle voltage it will for some reason increase your voltages under load).

If your still seeing constant CPU usage on your processor in ryzen master at idle (also encountered something similar), I would suggest doing a windows refresh using windows 10s 'Reset this PC' feature and opt to not backup existing files (only way to make sure it's a fresh install) and only install chipset driver and drivers you need, as I've also had problems recently with dragon center & StoreMI also preventing CPU voltages from dropping at idle.

Would also advice you first try to reset to defaults your bios and only enable xmp for your ram, also use AHCI and disable CSM and test if you see your idle voltages and temps go down at idle in windows with Ryzen Balanced power plan before you try enabling other stuff in the bios or adding offset voltages. And do note that it normally takes about a minute at first boot into windows before you start seeing voltages dropping at idle with nothing running, you would usually only see your voltages start rising when you have anything open in the foreground, watching videos in chrome in particular does that.

As for the temps, that looks about normal seeing that even with my 240 AIO with Push/Pull fan setup I'm still reaching late 70s under load (room temp of 29c) with the radiator mounted as intake to best cool it with Idle temps going 31-35c+ with voltages as low as 1.06v then jumps to 40-50c+ with voltages increasing upto 1.46v whenever i open any app.

cheezeartz
Adept I

You are actually right with WE, when closing it it goes down to just under 1v.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I won't do a fresh install because it is a brand new system and without wallpaper engine it seems like it goes down just fine.

that still does not explain my boost issues, but I guess that is up to AMD / MSI to fix.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Yea depending on what wallpaper you are using it could be either using more CPU or GPU resources. Pausing tends to negate all that though. Its good to set application rules to have it pause or stop for certain applications.

0 Likes
vinders
Adept I

You are absolutely right, mate. I have miss my old quite system also, i5-3570k with RX480 was perfect as performance/silence. But for now, welcome to amd with performance and loudness...

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI | Ryzen 9 5900X | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 280R | F4-3600C16Q-64GTZR | Seasonic B12 BC-850 | MSI RX 6900 XT GAMING X TRIO.
0 Likes
rodrox
Adept III

Its been a few weeks now since I instaled AGESA 1003ABB + new AMD chipset drivers on my Ryzen 5 3600, as long as I have the PBO options OFF in BIOS everything is quite good, yeah stock fan gets louder but temp and vcore are way better.

A week ago I went and got my self a Deep Cool Gammaxx GTE air cooler (don't care about LED, I just wanted a screwed mounting system). Temps went down and noise too, and overall my CPU now boost higher (with only  PB enable) probably cause of the better temps headroom.

On the other hand boosting higher means temps, on some scenarios, didn't go as low as I wish. For example on Blender complete test (took about hour and 13 mins to finish, no crushes), temps reading on hwinfo were 76.3° C MAX (a lot less than on stock cooler anyways, was about 86°C I believe for the short test).CPU now boost all cores to 4050 MHz most of the time while rendering, thats about 100~125MHz higher than with stock cooler.

In any case with this new cooler I never seen temps over those 76.3°C which is great. With stock one temps were always above 86°C (Cinebench R20) and sometimes above 93°C (prime95).

Cheers!

0 Likes
vinders
Adept I

On cinebench with scythe mugen 5 rev.b, I have 80 degrees C, but boost for test is 4250 MHz.

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI | Ryzen 9 5900X | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 280R | F4-3600C16Q-64GTZR | Seasonic B12 BC-850 | MSI RX 6900 XT GAMING X TRIO.
rodrox
Adept III

Hi, I don't have CR20 numbers here at work, but I did a consecutive 30 mins test (you can set this on preferences), but I do remember it was about 73°C boosting about 4080Mhz all core.

rodrox
Adept III

OK, I got back home, so with the new cooler:

- CR20, 30 mins of consecutive runs, MAX reading temps I got was: 72.8°C

- Prime 95 small packages, 37 mins (then I got bored) 79.8°C, used to be 93,3°C after 10 mins running with stock cooler.

- Shadow of The Tomb Raider (got an RTX 2070, 1920x1080 and graphic details are on highest), 70°C after 18 mins (I believe the poor result here is due to the GPU dropping a lot of heat inside the case). In any case this is better than 78.4° C with stock cooler.

Cheers

0 Likes
deamhan
Adept I

I'm using Thermalright Macho Rev B cooler, max temperature in aida64 stress test is 85 C, average is 75 (ambient is 28 C), CPU  power is around 90 W, voltage up to 1.38 V, frequency >=4.1  GHz (gigabyte aorus elite, bios F5b).

0 Likes
gavas13
Journeyman III

I have the kraken x72 ..... one of the best 360 aio coolers, and i used Arctic mx4 thermal paste. the temps remained almost the same(stress test around 80C, idle 40-50C. ambient temp 22C). That doesn't make any sense to me. I paid 170€ for about 2 degrees difference.

0 Likes