alexandr82
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 7 3700X high temperatures

In high temperature readings or poor heat removal from a small processor chip

0 Likes
rodrox
Adept III

Hi, after reading all this and since doing what Im about to tell you + setting MS Balanced Power Plan got my insane/high vcore, temp and fan noise issue way better I will share it here:

Go to BIOS, and try disable every PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) option you can find (in my case 3 dif options). PBO is an AMD automatic overclock, which realy doesn't give you a huge avantage today, but it does give you a huge increase in vcore, temps, and fan noise. In my motherboard was enable even when using the "load default settings", so I have to turn it off manually.

Cheers

0 Likes
winwiz
Journeyman III

PBO can increase performance on the smaller Ryzen 3000 models: 3600 and 3600X, but it does use more power and generates more heat.

PBO doesn't really help 3700 and above Ryzens.

If you enter AMDs values for PBO it should not generate much more heat.

Most Ryzen motherboards can deliver a lot of power to the CPU, and the manufactors are allowed to increase the PBO values if their boards can deliver more power than AMDs minimum requirements.

So if you want your 3600/3600 to perform a little better, without generating to much heat, try AMDs watt and amp values for PBO.

Regarding windows power plan. AMDs latest chipset driver (with fix for the game devision 2) includes an updated Balanced power plan for Ryzen 3000. This new power plan is less trigger happy, so it generates less heat at idle/low usage. So you don't have to use Microsoft generic power plans.

The fix for divisions decrease performance, so if you don't play devisions you can choose only the new power plan when you install the new chipset driver.

BIOS versions with AGESA 1.0.0.1 boost higher and generates more heat than AGESA 1.0.0.2 and 1.0.0.3 so update your bios if you Ryzen 3000 gets to hot.

I hope someone find the above useful.

0 Likes
rodrox
Adept III

Yeah, thanks for the advice, I already have all the lastest BIOS and Drivers installed (also the latest Windows update).

Honestly, I already have the performance I need with my Ryzen 5 3600, so PBO is not a must for me.

What I need is a quiet room, specially when Im not doing anything intense (basic low load) like scrolling down a PDF, watching a video on youtube, or opening a new tab on firefox and loading my web mail (and with PBO enable the Ryzen 5 3600 was going crazy, to max speed, max temp, max voltage, wihtout making any sense at all).

Now when I disable PBO  and set MS Balanced Plan (or the new Ryzen Balanced Plan) is not like is all good and quiet (not as it was with my old core i5), but is way better, and more quiet.

But yeah, when gaming, I don't mind a little bit of noise, and the performance is more than enough when paired with an RTX 2070 and 16 GB of DDR4 3200 CL16.

I hope they can find a fix to all this issues soon, a real one, cause honestly I miss the almost absolut "silence" I had when using my old PC.

Cheers.

0 Likes
ctjithinkrishna
Journeyman III

Any update regarding the AMD support ticket you opened? Are the temps down now??

0 Likes
saiyuki
Journeyman III

@winwiz....Disabling PBO dropped my idle temps to 43*c. Good call mate.

Regards

0 Likes
martaszla
Adept I

Please do you know where I can find it on msi b450 tomahawk with newest bios? I checked bios, manual too but i cant find it

0 Likes
saiyuki
Journeyman III

0 Likes
rodrox
Adept III

I can't really said where are the options on your MSI mobo, in my Gigabyte, I found one under AMD CBS menu, and the other two PBO options were found under AMD Overclocking menu.

Both AMD options were under the PERIPHERALS upper menu. So yeah they are not soo easy to find. (Maybe someone in MSI forum can give you a hint, or someone who owns the same motherboard you do since all BIOS are diferent from one mobo to another).

0 Likes
martaszla
Adept I

Yea I find it in Overclocking menu but does not help me.

0 Likes