Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

MeTTz
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 3700x frequency and fan speed

Hello to all.
I get to the point immediately, for about a year I have been the owner of a ryzen 3700x (complete configuration below), I immediately noticed an anomalous behavior in the ventilation.
Let me explain better, during the normal use of the PC, the rotation speed of the fans varied suddenly, slowing down and increasing the speed regardless of a more or less intensive use of the CPU.
Going to investigate, I realized that this depended on a bizarre management of the frequencies on the different cores that were continuously raised and lowered, thus giving temperature peaks and consequent rpm increase.
To "buffer" the problem the only solution found was to set clock the CPU, from the BIOS I set the base clock speed to 100 and the "multiplier" to 40 (I don't know if it's still called that, I did school on an old AMD Athlon Xp) and disabled the Core performance boost.
By doing so I get all the cores locked around 4 Ghz stable (remember that it has a base frequency of 3.6 Ghz) without going to set different voltages.
In this way I get stable rpm on the fans and a more than satisfactory silence.
Now, I wanted to understand if I am the only one affected by this anomalous behavior and if there is a possibility of solving the problem without losing frequencies (with CPB active the different cores reach up to 4.4 Ghz).
I have the latest chipset version installed.

my configuration:

CPU: Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO \ BIOS: F31e
Heatsink: Enermax Liqmax II 240
RAM: G.skill Trident Z NEO-3600 2x 8gb
HD M.2 .: Samsung 970 EVO plus
HD SSD: Crucial MX 300

GPU: Xfx AMD Rx480 4 gb

Power supply: CoolerMaster Silent Pro 850W

I hope someone can come to my rescue, open to any suggestions and comparisons.

Thank you all!!

0 Likes
5 Replies

When was the last time you cleaned your computer, especially the radiator?
Did you install and BIOS updates which would have increased performance, and therefore heat and fan speed?
Have you used Enermax's software to customize a fan speed curve?
0 Likes

the last time I cleaned the heatsink radiator was when I assembled it, but the problem showed up right away.
as soon as I assembled I had the F11 version of the BIOS, I then updated to the F20 version, which however had given me other problems.
for a couple of weeks updated to version F31e with persistence of frequency problem.
for fan management I use the motherboard software through AAP center.

Thanks

0 Likes

You can set a delay in the bios for the fan curve so it doesn't keep ramping up and down as the different core clocks boost up and down.

I have mine set to 2s because my 3600X was experiencing the same issue.

It stops the fans constantly ramping up and down at idle.

You could also adjust your fan curve to flatten it over the ranges the CPU sits at during idle.

0 Likes

thanks for the tips, I'll try this way
Now my questions are:
this is a problem that is found only on some units of the 3700x?
is there an option to fix it without manually setting a fan curve?
could it be a problem related to motherboard partial incompatibility?

thank you so much!!

0 Likes
Swowflake
Journeyman III

I had similar problem where if I Enabled CPB my computer crashes during idle. When gaming or high load the system is stable which I can conclude it has nothing to do with thermal. But know i am just stuck with my processor running at 3.6ghz and enabling precision boost overdrive does nothing to my CPU clocK

System Info

AMD RYZEN 3700x
Asrock B550 Extreme4
8gb Corsair 3600Mhz ram  

0 Likes