Did you mean: 

Processors

RYounes
Adept I

Ryzen 7 3700X Freezing + 100% Load in Idle

Hello , Eveyone 

Recently i got an issue on My PC FirstOfAll Here is My Configuration : 

Computer Type: PC, Custom BuildWA
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2060 SUPER ( Latest Update Driver )
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X 
WaterCooling: MSI MAG 240R 
Motherboard: MSI B550M BAZOOKA (Running latest BIOS)
RAM: 2x TFORCE GROUP DDR4-3200MHz (16GB TOTAL)
PSU: AEROCOOL 650W 
Case: coolerMaster NR400 Without ODD
Operating System & Version: Windows 11 Pro
Chipset Drivers: Latest Update
Background Applications: Regular Windows applications

Description of Original Problem:  This has been occurring since I've put this PC together in 2020 When idling or doing non-intensive CPU tasks, Windows will BSOD or just 'freeze'.

Troubleshooting:  

1. At first I thought it was a RAM or Os Update issue , i ran MemTest64 all night, no errors. i thoutgh it would be the speed i apply the xmp profile on the ram to 3200mhz did not solve the problem. i update The OS To Latest Still the same 

2. Reset BIOS back to factory defaults, by pulling the battery. Also didn't work.

3. Set the CPU voltage to 'Override' and manually set it to 1.3500v, and set all Core to 4.0ghz  BINGO, this solved the problem. Absolutely no crashes, no issues, 100% stable, but last week once i start playing games Like Forza Horizon i get an msg Error "Low CPU Bandwidth"  I stayed like this for a few days to absolutely make sure it was stable. Absolutely 0 BSOD's Except The Gaming part

4. After establishing there were no more blue screens, I went back into the BIOS and set the CPU voltage back to AUTO. Freeze and BSOD city again when doing absolutely nothing (just browsing web pages etc).   

It seems to me, that there could be some issue with the CPU under-volting itself too much while at idle, causing these crashes? Or the motherboard not regulating the CPU voltage properly, seeing as the crashes ONLY happen when idle, never under load. Once again, when you set the voltage to OVERRIDE, and increase the volts manually on the CPU, there are no issues, no crashes. 

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it, as I'm stuck and not sure what the next steps to take are. Short of RMA'ing the CPU. 

9 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I know you cleared CMOS but have you flashed the BIOS? I personally have not encountered this with my 3700x. I did have an issue where my XMP was causing BSODs on my media PC which runs a 2600x but once I disabled XMP it ran fine. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Try running a Clean Windows Desktop to eliminate any 3rd party startups or services.

Put the CPU settings in BIOS back to the way it was and then enter into a Clean Windows Desktop to see if the problem occurs.

Here is how to do it. It is very easy to do and undo: How to perform a clean boot in Windows 

If the problem persists than open a AMD Support ticket - Warranty and see if they believe your CPU needs to be RMAed to be checked from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

That is if your CPU is under 3 years old since your purchased it.

i did also scan with Malwarebytes and antirootkit license but no virus detected everything is Clean it's still same problem i even try with another M.2 with fresh install windows same thing

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Is there another PC you can try the CPU in to verify its not a faulty CPU? Longshot but it could be. Reading all you have tried it seems to be hardware. Either your CPU or motherboard seem to me to be faulty.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

Try setting everything in the UEFI back to default.  Then disable "Core Performance Boost" and boot into Windows.  Is the system stable without any boosting and no XMP profile on the RAM?  If so, then you can try to put your RAM profile back in place.  Still stable?  Try to add the core performance boost (no precision boost overdrive) back in.

0 Likes

Yeah i did Flashed the Bios With The Last Update But the problem still appear 

0 Likes
jftasse
Adept I

Maybe take a look at your power settings; is it on Normal, Power Saving or AMD Ryzen Balanced, High Performance etc ...  There is the option of limiting the cpu power by percentage, you could give it a look.

jftasse
Adept I

Forgot to say, can you test or have your power supply tested.  Can you ask a friend if you can borrow one to try it out to see if it's power related.  One last thing, I bought my Ryzen 3700x last year with a MSI B550 Tomahank and the manufacturer recommended memory to go with it. I flashed the bios and installed windows 10 pro with the latest drivers at that moment.  I have never flashed the bios or updated the drivers of my motherboard since then because it never froze, BSOD etc  So if you end up making an update that fix everything, do not update anything else after that unless it's for a very critical security thing.

Be safe, and be of good courage

Could very well be the low voltage, although, its very strange.

Since you've tried the manual voltage and worked to some extent, do this:

Set voltage by offset.

Not all bios have it but take a look around, it should be in the same drop down as AUTO and MANUAL.

Then apply something like +0.1v or more till you get it stable.

tutorial on how to do it (its for undervolting so do the opposite)

The Englishman