cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ajlara09
Adept I

Ryzen 7 3700x died after less than 2 months

I built a brand new machine from the ground up back in late January 2021. I was doing some web browsing this past Sunday and my machine just blanked out. Screens turned black but the PC was still on. I did a hard power down and attempted to turn it back on and the same thing happened, black screens but the PC was powered. I had the white CPU diagnostic light on my motherboard so that is where I started. I removed the RAM to make sure that it wasn't stuck on that light and it did change over to a RAM diagnostic light. I installed one of the sticks and it returned to the CPU diagnostic light. It was either going to be the CPU socket on the MB or the CPU itself. Ran down to BestBuy the day after and purchased a Ryzen 5 and it worked without a hitch. Anyone else experience this after less than 2 months of running it?

MB: B550 Gaming Plus

RAM: G Skillz Trident Z 2x8GB

PSU: 850 gold 

HS: AIO Cooler master 240mm

0 Likes
1 Solution

With highly technical electronics anything can happen including going bad at any time.

If you purchased the Processor from Best Buy or another Retailer and the Return Date or Warranty from the Retailer has expired you still have AMD Warranty which is still effective for 3 years to the original Owner and from the date purchased.

You can RMA the CPU from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

View solution in original post

4 Replies

With highly technical electronics anything can happen including going bad at any time.

If you purchased the Processor from Best Buy or another Retailer and the Return Date or Warranty from the Retailer has expired you still have AMD Warranty which is still effective for 3 years to the original Owner and from the date purchased.

You can RMA the CPU from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

I appreciate the reply, Yeah I'm not an elite member so the return window has closed and I will have to go through AMD's warranty service. I put in the request on Sunday but I have not heard anything back from them. Is there usually a long delay for RMA requests? I'm trying to return the one I used for testing before the return window closes lol

There does seem to be a delay according to other Users threads that are RMAing their AMD hardware.

Could be several factors like the Pandemic affecting the work site, Heavy demands for RMAs being handled, shipping issues, etc.

So basically you will need to be patient. If after a week you don't get a reply form AMD Warranty, resubmit the Warranty ticket again.

0 Likes

I actually got the RMA approved early early yesterday morning and I sent out the bad processor yesterday as well. Crappy part is that the give you a prepaid label for ground shipping to Florida via Fedex.