Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

aestralle
Adept I

Ryzen 7 3700x Core Speed Jumps

Hey guys,

I'm writing this cause after looking for a while I still haven't found a possible solution for the problem I have with my boy Ryzen 7 3700X. The CPU seems to be behaving very weirdly with inconsistant voltage and unstable core speed which is very odd at the whole beginning, but it gets even worse.

Whenever I'm trying to render out anything in Premiere/AE or run a benchmark on i.e. Cinebench the values rise & instantly drop to 2.1 MHz and stay low throught the entire rendering process. The PPT gets to 100% of 88W and drops as well.

I can't cope with this thing anymore, I tried setting up everything manually but it behaved the same way it does on Auto.

The CPU is running on the Auto PBO OC with the XML profile on my CL18 3600 Corsair Vengeance & ASUS Prime X570 Pro. I tried disabling the PBO which did nothing.

I tried all power plans, that changed nothing. Right now it's set on the Ryzen Balanced.

It's cooled by the Wraith Prism cooler that came with it in the package.

HW Monitor Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/XBobPeV

Thanks in advance,

0 Likes
7 Replies

In Ryzen Master at the top where there are several Icons. If any are showing RED that will cause your processor to throttle or slow down.

Unless your processor is overheating, going above 95c, then it shouldn't be throttling unless it due to the motherboard itself.

Here is my Ryzen Master with the same R7-3700x processor while using both Firefox and Kodi at the same time:

Screenshot 2022-04-19 070908.png

If you notice at the top all my icons are in the GREEN and none are RED. I do know that Windows Power Plans affects EDC, PPT, & TDC ratings which concerns the Motherboard.

0 Likes

I have noticed that whenever turning on a benchmark or rendering something, the PPT gets up to 100% of 88W. I have just reset the BIOS and got rid of the 2.100 MHz drop but it's still locked at 3.822 instead of boosting it higher. I have set up the DOCP and enabled the Core Performance Boost, tried it with all power plans, nothing seems to unlock it.

Picture during CR20 benchmark

RYZEN2.PNG

0 Likes

Have a look at your power plan..

I have mine on Ryzen Balanced..

Processor Power Management: minimum 99% - Max 100%..

Mine did the same as yours at first, as both were at 100%..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

Just ran Cinebanc R23 with Ryzen Master monitoring. Quite surprised that PPT, TDC, & EDC were all red during the testing. The maximum speed from the processor was 3.908 & 3.889Mhz.

So I will see what I need to do to increase the Motherboard's PPT, TDC, & EDC so that it won't throttle my processor while being under heavy stress like Cinebench R23.

Screenshot 2022-04-19 070908.png

by the way I am using an old CoolerMaster Hyper212 EVO Air CPU Cooler which kept my processor below 74c the entire time.

EDIT: This User on Reddit gives a good explanation of the above RED icons:

Screenshot 2022-05-02 155505.png

0 Likes

Change to Ryzen Power Plan 'Balanced" with the same results. The only Power setting I am going to make now is change the Minimum Processor State from 99% to 5%.

I read you can change the PPT. TDC, & EDC in BIOS under PBO Manual Settings. 

This User was able to find the proper way in BIOS to increase TDC & EDC in a Asus Motherboard BIOS:

I figured out that EDC & TDC are locked to 190 and 160 respectively in the Advanced\AMD Overclocking\AMD Overclocking\Precision Boost Overdrive\PBO Limits setting. I changed it back to auto.

Ai Tweaker\Precision Boost Overdrive\Precision Boost Overdrive set to manual and now the EDC & TDC limits can be raised above 190 and 160 respectively. I'm currently using 220 EDC 160 TDC and performance has improved! It shows this in Ryzen master and HWiNFO.

Asus bios is so fubar and confusing.

Thanks!

What I need to find out if I can damage my Motherboard by increasing the PPT, TDC, & EDC Maximum Limits under PBO in BIOS.

0 Likes

Okay in Ryzen Master under Basic View I changed it from "Default" to "Auto OC".  According to AMD Help from Ryzen Master this raises the Maximum PPT, TDC, & EDC to the Maximum supported by the Motherboard in BIOS Settings.

With "AutoOC" enabled in Ryzen Master:

PPT: 395 Watts

TDC: 160 Amps

EDC: 190 Amps

Plus in BIOS Setting I changed the Processor's Maximum Operating Temperature from 95c to 85c in the past. This means when the processor reaches 85c it will automatically start to throttle instead of 95c. This gives me a 10c safe range in case my CPU Cooler starts going bad (Dirty or clogged fins or defective fans).

My Cinebench went up almost 1000 points from "Default" settings from around 10400 to 11367.

Plus the Processor's speed went from 3901Mhz to 4026Mhz which caused the processor to run much hotter.

Here are my two Ryzen Master before and after changing the Default settings to AutoOC and running Cinebench 23R:

Screenshot 2022-04-19 070908.pngScreenshot 2022-05-02 155505.png

For the time being I am going to leave it on "AutoOC" and keep an eye on my Processor's temps. My temperature did increase by 10c from around 73c to 83c from Default setting.

0 Likes

I've played around the BIOS again and ended up putting the Performance Bias onto LV 3 (OC) which seems to have fixed the problem as well. Although high temperatures on boost, it still gets up to almost 4.1GHz during Cinebench and sustains the clockboost. The only thing left for me is getting a better cooler, so I decrease the 85 celsius at the highest peak.

Thanks for the tips!