cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

thunder_3
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 3700x chipset

I'm currently running a Ryzen 5 2400g processor on a Gigabyte AB350N - Gaming Wifi Motherboard. I'm looking to upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen 7 3700x. Minecraft is a more CPU-intensive game, and running shaders doesn't exactly help the cause (got an RX 5700 XT running for that). 

Anyway, I've got two questions. 

1. Are 3000 series processors compatible with my motherboard? (Gigabyte AB350N)

2. If so, does the Ryzen 7 3700x use the same chipset as the 2400g?

If they do, then I'm in the clear and I'll make the upgrade. If not, do you have any recommendations for a better processor under the range of about $300, using the same chipset?

I checked pcpartpicker.com and the AB350N was on the list as a compatible motherboard for a 3700x. Is this accurate information?

0 Likes
1 Reply

According to Gigabyte Support for your Motherboard's CPU Support list, yes it does support the Ryzen 7 3700X but you need to have BIOS Version F40 installed for the motherboard to recognize and boot your computer: GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A. 

The Motherboard Chipset drivers is related to the Motherboard and not the processor. Some Manufacturers advises to update the CHIPSET drivers BEFORE updating the BIOS version.

You can download either the Gigabytes Motherboard CHIPSET or AMD CHIPSET drivers. Whichever is the latest version for your motherboard.

So yes, the same CHIPSET will work for both the Ryzen 7 and  Ryzen 2400g.

The only difference is that the Ryzen 7 3700X doesn't have any integrated Graphics so no Graphics drivers are needed unlike the 2400G APU processor which does need Graphics driver installed if no GPU Card is installed.

0 Likes