Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

olddog523
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 2700x Wraith Prism Cooler Noise

Hi all,

I recently put together a PC Build and used the Ryzen 7 2700x the CPU. The attached stock cooler (Wraith Prism Cooler) is unbearably loud (giving headaches if I have the PC on too long) and I'm not sure if it's just a bad part of some other issue.

Here is the sound when I start up and load into the BIOS; the temperature isn't high at all, around 31 degrees Celsius and the fan appears to be rotating at a little under 1100 RPMs. When starting up it sounds like there may be a wire interfering, but I cannot see one as the attached wires to the fan are still affixed to the plastic casing behind and no other wires are running near it. This is how it sounds when Windows running; in this clip I'm not doing anything to overwork the CPU, I'm just sitting at the sign-in screen and it's louder than prior video.

I've tried setting the Fan Mode in BIOS to 'Silent' and it made a marginal difference (the sound you currently here is it on 'Silent' mode). 

So, is this just a bad part? Should I try and get a replacement for it? I'm considering just going with a little upgrade and purchasing a water cooler to install.

Is there something else that's causing it to make so much noise?

All help is appreciated, thanks!

0 Likes
1 Reply

Sound like the bearings are bad. If you turn off power and physically move the CPU fan by hand, Do you feel any type of resistance or noise? It should spin without any resistance and completely silent when turned physically by hand.

Try opening a AMD Warranty Request from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form 

Upload those two videos and see if they believe it needs to be replaced under Warranty if it came bundled with the processor.

0 Likes