cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

kushie0
Adept I

Ryzen 7 2700X single thread awful benchmark/performance?

Hello, I've been on a long quest to figure out why Elden Ring isn't running well on my computer. It should run well with a 2700X and 1070 Ti but I've had incredibly bad performance at all graphics settings and resolutions. Some other newer games have issues too.

I downloaded CPU-Z and ran its benchmark, which shows 89% multithread performance vs. reference benchmark, but only 14% single thread performance. It's abysmal.

Could someone help me figure out why? Is there another benchmark I should try? Anything I should troubleshoot?

Edit: here is the CPU-Z benchmark:

cpu-z benchmarkcpu-z benchmark

0 Likes
5 Replies

Run Cinebench r23 and compare your results to others processor to determine if your processor is working up to speed: https://www.maxon.net/en/downloads/cinebench-r23-downloads

Also go to gaming sites where you can see if your hardware meets the minimum requirements and at what level like:

System Requirements Lab.com - Can I Run It 

PC Game Benchmark.com - Can I Run It

PC Builds - Can I Run It

Hi, you should be getting the maximum fps available at 1080p high, as I believe this game is capped at 60fps. 

Try other bench tools as Elstaci said.
Have a look at real deal scores with others with same hardware as you do, reach out to them and see their configs.

I do have a 2700Xbut I did not tried benchmnarking it with synthetic tools, normally I prefer to compare game performance.

Check if you have DOCP (XMP) enabled it can really make a difference in games. Check if the CPU is boosting its clock too, you should see at least some cores reach 4,3Ghz even on Wraith Cooler.

As for the game, Ive only tested, i didnt game for long periods.
I get 50 to 60fps, 1080p high on a 2700X plus a RoG Strix RX480 OCed at 1400mhz, you should be getting more on a 1070ti

Good luck

The Englishman

So I just reapplied thermal paste and used canned air to get rid of dust... had some weird possibly-PSU-related problems booting back up so I'm going to get a spare PSU to try in the next week. What ended up getting the computer to post and boot was a few minutes without the CMOS battery.

I just ran CineBench and the scores are pretty good, 984 single core and 8984 multi core and I didn't really close background stuff. Reference scores are 1071/9971. A score 10% below is weird but shouldn't be bad enough to hurt Elden Ring performance that much. It's all so strange.

0 Likes

I have solved the issue and am happily gaming, but the root cause is still a mystery. 

I did a quick and dirty PSU replacement and everything was fixed. Booting up, the computer immediately just felt different in a great way. Single core benchmark scores in CPU-Z were matching reference. Then I booted Elden Ring and it ran wonderfully with maximum settings at 1080p.

Then I realized that I forgot to hook up my two HDDs to the new PSU (OS and most games are on an SSD), so I shut down, hooked up SATA power, and booted up again - and all of a sudden the performance issues were back. Low single core benchmark scores in CPU-Z and awful performance in Elden Ring.  I unplugged the SATA power and it's back to working fine again.

I haven't yet tried the old PSU without powering the HDDs. And I'm grateful that I can play the game normally now. But what on earth could be going on?

0 Likes

That's strange.  had to download and run it out of curiosity.  Just ran mine and got 425.6 for single and 4282.1 while running win media player. 

I'm running a gigabyte x570 aorus master mb 64 gb mem doubt video card would matter but it's a rtx 3050 1250w power supply.

I would think bios may be issue.  Can you update bios, reset to defaults then run it again?  You shouldn't see a good multi thread and poor single unless there is something wonky in bios or CPU but that isn't likely a core would fail without crashing the machine, would it? 

I posted after reading your initial post power supply would do it, but I would be worried if the HDD caused power issues because that's a small load compared to other loads in a system.  Your either right at the load limit of your power supply or there are issues with the SATA drives.  Untitled.jpg

0 Likes