cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Trigun1220
Adept I

Ryzen 7 2700x potential motherboard short

I have a ryzen 7 2700x I have been using for awhile now. The other day I decided to clean my pc so I power it off and I’m hooked all the cables and blew it out with air. I also unhooked the ram before I cleaned it. After I was done I hooked everything back up and turned it on. At first it power cycled about 3 times before if just turned off for good. So I checked everything and made sure all was good before trying again. The second time I turned it on it worked so I thought all was well. But after about 30 mins of gaming my screen went black and the CPU led was lite up on my motherboard. I powered back down and turned it back on again to check master. Everything looks normal and temps are good while running a benchmark. But I noticed that the edc in master was 140-150% of 140A limit 168A. I don’t know what’s going on. 

0 Likes
2 Solutions

There is a slight possibility of a static charge buildup but with the way newer PC hardware is made that's doubtful.

If you were using a CO2 canned air to blow out the dust it could just be some slight moisture buildup and the system is detecting a possible short circuit event and preventing full power up till it dries to prevent damage.

I'm running the exact same CPU and I clean my rig once a month.

I have found that using a cheap soft bristled tooth brush is really good at getting out those stubborn dust bunny clumps. Be very gentle if you use this method though.

Also they make special handheld dust vacuums to clean out PC's. I have one and it works great. No pun intended they can be set to suck or blow. 

Check the connections on your power supply and all your PC hardware don't forget to check the SATA cables if you have SATA devices. You may have a connection that just isn't seated properly.

View solution in original post

I would start by re-seating components again.

Did you re paste the CPU in the process?
Did you used canned air tilted in anyway?
Have you unplugged the power connectors to the board?
Did you took out the Ram modules?

Have you got any OC in Ryzen Master? Any profile accidentally selected by any chance?

The power cycling suggests that something is not right from POST, do you use XMP profile, try using at default speed values and do a stability test.

I anyway, also try what some users already wrote before, Clearing CMOS can fix many things.

For cleaning the PC, canned air is perfectly fine as long as you don't tilt the can and take out the power cord completely from your PSU.

Since I'm a cleaning freak, I clean the computer like 3-4 times a month, let me give you this suggestion:

A battery operated air duster with a brush included, I use it for everything, either PC or around the house.

The Englishman

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Try resetting your BIOS settings to default.

Except your BOOT drive make sure it remains at the top of your BOOT list.

A CMOS or RAM clear may also fix the issue.

Also try pausing windows update for 7 days. Microsoft has been causing interference by downloading outdated drivers for AMD hardware. One other thing check your MOBO manufacturer website for the latest CPU chipset drivers.

Check the BIOS update list for your MOBO and see if any on them mention support for gen 2 Ryzen 7 CPU's.

Lots of trial and error especially since windows 10 came out.

Don't worry my friend this community will help you find a solution to this issue. 

0 Likes

Thank you for the response. I’ll try the what you mentioned above. Do you think that I might of messed something up on the MB while blowing the dust out? 

There is a slight possibility of a static charge buildup but with the way newer PC hardware is made that's doubtful.

If you were using a CO2 canned air to blow out the dust it could just be some slight moisture buildup and the system is detecting a possible short circuit event and preventing full power up till it dries to prevent damage.

I'm running the exact same CPU and I clean my rig once a month.

I have found that using a cheap soft bristled tooth brush is really good at getting out those stubborn dust bunny clumps. Be very gentle if you use this method though.

Also they make special handheld dust vacuums to clean out PC's. I have one and it works great. No pun intended they can be set to suck or blow. 

Check the connections on your power supply and all your PC hardware don't forget to check the SATA cables if you have SATA devices. You may have a connection that just isn't seated properly.

I would start by re-seating components again.

Did you re paste the CPU in the process?
Did you used canned air tilted in anyway?
Have you unplugged the power connectors to the board?
Did you took out the Ram modules?

Have you got any OC in Ryzen Master? Any profile accidentally selected by any chance?

The power cycling suggests that something is not right from POST, do you use XMP profile, try using at default speed values and do a stability test.

I anyway, also try what some users already wrote before, Clearing CMOS can fix many things.

For cleaning the PC, canned air is perfectly fine as long as you don't tilt the can and take out the power cord completely from your PSU.

Since I'm a cleaning freak, I clean the computer like 3-4 times a month, let me give you this suggestion:

A battery operated air duster with a brush included, I use it for everything, either PC or around the house.

The Englishman

thank you for the response! To clear the cmos I had to remove my gpu so I decided to go ahead and remove the cpu fan and cpu and clean the old thermal paste off and apply new. I have changed the paste on this chip a few times already once about 4 months ago but this time I noticed the paste was little darker and cracked real bad. Is this from the cpu getting to hot? I don’t remember  it looking like that before but at the same time I wasn’t looking for problems then. Anyway after clearing the cmos and putting it back together everything looks to be fine. I did have the “game boost” enabled before which its disabled now. I was clocking at 4.3 but now it’s capped at 3.8. What do you think I can do or not do at this point? Should I not go back to the oc profile I was using before?

Thermal compound paste normally gets putty like or just dry and flakey.

Sounds like that particular thermal compound wasn't mixed properly.

I generally use arctic silver compound due to its longevity. I've pulled up both CPU and GPU coolers that I've used this compound on a year after application and it was still gooey like it just came out of the tube. There's also the new ultra thin carbon thermal pads but I have no experience with them.

Glad your rig is back up happy gaming and welcome to the community.

0 Likes