cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Evo-Pc
Adept I

Ryzen 7 2700x high temps on idle and under load.

Hello there! I’m a bit new to the whole community so bear with me. 

Ive recently been noticing that my Ryzen 7 2700x has been throttling extremely hard and has had insanely high idle temps. I have not overclocked at all and have two front fans in my case providing plenty of air flow. I do not have a rear fan for exhaust but plan on installing one soon. I have had idle temps sitting at 70-85c depending on what is open. I’ve changed fan settings inside bios and set them to max speed with no difference. The throttling occurs whenever the temps go above 75c. The clock speeds have reached as low as 2.3gHz which does not seem right. Here are my specs listed below.

Evga RTX 3060 TI XC

AsRock B450m Pro4

Ryzen 7 2700x 8 cores 16 threads

Stock AMD Wraith Cooler

Ive tried updating the bios to see if that was the problem and still nothing. Thanks for your time and if I missed anything I will gladly answer or add the info.

0 Likes
1 Solution

seems like your AMD CPU Cooler is not cooling.

Check to see visually if the CPU Cooler fan is working at Maximum speed and check to see if by any chance you might have jarred the CPU Cooler loose from the Processor.

I suggest you remove the CPU Cooler and reapply the Themal Paste and reset the CPU Cooler on the processor. It should be fairly tight and making good contact with the surface of the processor.

Also check to see if the fan is extremely dirty or the fan blade turns easily or there is any obstruction hitting the Fan blade like a cable or wire.

The fan blade should turn very easily without any resistance or noise at low speeds or by turning manually.

Generally with your type of high temperatures at idle it has something to do with the CPU Cooler installation or operation.

According to AMD Specs on your processor the Maximum Operating Temperature is 85C and the TDP is 105 watts.

In another words you need a CPU Cooler rated at least 105 Watts TDP, in my opinion, which AMD Prism is rated at. 

Also set the AMD Prism Fan speed to maximum which is located on the side of the Prism. It is a tiny black switch.

NOTE: If by any chance the AMD Prism is defective and you purchased the AMD Processor bundled with the AMD Prism and it less than 3 years ago you might be able to open a AMD Warranty and see if they will replace it for you.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

seems like your AMD CPU Cooler is not cooling.

Check to see visually if the CPU Cooler fan is working at Maximum speed and check to see if by any chance you might have jarred the CPU Cooler loose from the Processor.

I suggest you remove the CPU Cooler and reapply the Themal Paste and reset the CPU Cooler on the processor. It should be fairly tight and making good contact with the surface of the processor.

Also check to see if the fan is extremely dirty or the fan blade turns easily or there is any obstruction hitting the Fan blade like a cable or wire.

The fan blade should turn very easily without any resistance or noise at low speeds or by turning manually.

Generally with your type of high temperatures at idle it has something to do with the CPU Cooler installation or operation.

According to AMD Specs on your processor the Maximum Operating Temperature is 85C and the TDP is 105 watts.

In another words you need a CPU Cooler rated at least 105 Watts TDP, in my opinion, which AMD Prism is rated at. 

Also set the AMD Prism Fan speed to maximum which is located on the side of the Prism. It is a tiny black switch.

NOTE: If by any chance the AMD Prism is defective and you purchased the AMD Processor bundled with the AMD Prism and it less than 3 years ago you might be able to open a AMD Warranty and see if they will replace it for you.

Wow thanks for the fast reply, I’m on my way home now to check it out. I’ve been stressed out and am looking forward to see if this works. Thanks.

0 Likes

So I turned the speed on the high mode with the switch and the idle temp with fan speeds still on max  hovers around 50c and jumps from 45-65c. I haven’t reapplied thermal paste and am waiting on some to arrive later this evening. Do those temps seem more normal when I had a few programs running such as steam/discord/ryzen master open? Thanks.

0 Likes

50C, in my opinion, for the Wraith Prism is fairly normal. Under heavy loads it will probably run hotter unless you had a better CPU Cooler.

As long as the temperature doesn't reach 75c under very heavy loads you are okay.

Use Ryzen Master to check your Processor's temperature. It was created for that purpose. Also if you poor Air Circulation will cause your Processor to run hotter. One way to find this out is by removing the Computer side panel and see if the processor's temperatures are slightly or more lower than usual.

Ryzen Master gives you a lot of information concerning your Processor and Motherboard in general.

You can always Stress test your processor with a Stress testing program to see how hot it will get with your Wraith Prism installed.

Maybe some other User with the same or similar processor can tell you what their CPU temperatures are like with their CPU Coolers install as a comparison.

Hey!

I can help you out, I still have the 2700X. Although I just recently upgraded to an AIO, but not because of lack of cooling, I actually  find the Wraith Prism a very good option. My main reason was noise, I wanted an ultra silent system so I'm only running Noctuas.

Temps are a sensitive issue, dust is a serious thing, a good airflow case will help a lot and ambient temps play a great deal too.

With the Prism at 1000-1200rpm I was idling around 40-45ºC Browsing at 50-55ºC Gaming at 60-70ºC and rendering at 75-80ºC

My conditions are a perfectly clean system, I dust it at least once a week
Corsair 450D Airflow Edition, front mesh will help a lot instead of a closed/glass front
2x 140 Intake Noctuas 600rpm
1x 120 Exhaust Noctua 800rpm
Temps of the GPU will affect the CPU temps, hot air will go straight up to the Wraith Prism fins.
Undervolting CPU/GPU will help, maybe offset by 0.1v on the board (PBO enabled though)
No air turbulence, like strange fan placements. Important!
Pick Airflow fans for case, beware the static pressure ones that are more useful for radiators
24ºC ambient temp.
I find positive pressure the best
And the last but not the least, re paste the CPU ASAP!

Some screen shots that I used in my video.

johnnyenglish_0-1635459384113.png

Suggested Airflow

johnnyenglish_2-1635460463332.png

If you are unhappy with the Prism, any 240 AIO is enough for the 2700X and can change things dramatically.

RoG Ryujin 240 with iPPC Noctuas

johnnyenglish_1-1635460213052.png

Undervolting Tips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVFjvizChrw&t=20s

A great way to clean the system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahqtSTkDwKo&t=107s

Wraith Prism VS 240 AIO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WdqRVyawEc&t=113s

The Englishman

Alright so indeed it was the cooler and the paste, reapplied both and now its idling at 35c. Appreciate all who helped and hope yall have a wonderful day!

Thomas_Horde_Media
Journeyman III

The guidance here was spot on! I cleaned my case then cleaned and repasted my AMD Ryzen 7 2700x cpu. My idles temps dropped from 47C to 38C.