Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

brnwshr
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 2700X Frequency & Vcore behavior

Hello Red community ! 

I have bought a Ryzen 7 2700X 2 months ago for my new computer and for the most of it, I'm really happy. But I have saw a weird behavior, and I hope you will help me to solve or understand what's going on.

I'm explaining myself but first configuration of my computer : 

- Gigabyte AORUS X470 Gaming 5 Wifi (latest BIOS)

- Ryzen 7 2700X cooled by Noctua NH-U14S (NF-A15 cooler chromax)

- 2x 8 Go DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance (in dual channel of course)

- EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 XC

- 3x SSD samsungs (1To (Game) - 512 Go (Development) -256 Go (OS))

- Creative Sound Blaster X-AE5 

- Power supply : Corsair RM850 (gold)

The issue I have right now is :

When my CPU is idle in windows, watching it in CPU-Z, I can observe my core speed oscillating between 4075MHz and 4150MHz with the multiplier switching obviously and the core Voltage oscillating between 1.3V and 1.32V. (due to XFR2 I think).

But when I began to do some work (rendering, benching with cinebench for example), my CPU core speed goes down to 3950MHz - 3975MHz with a Vcore voltage going down also to 1.27V - 1.28V.

What is causing that? What do you think can make this happen? Is it a thermal throttle ? Seems weird because my CPU is under 45°C idle (with better clock speed...) and never goes up to 65°C at work.

For information I have compared measures from CPU-Z with HWMonitor to be sure it is not a software related problem.

I have linked some images if you need more infos.

Cheers,

BRNWSHR

0 Likes
9 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

brnwshr, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  This is probably normal behavior but I'll take a look.  Lots of users are concerned about this.  You need to decide what you want to see and see if you can make changes to get close.  What power plan are you using?  If you do not have PBO enabled, then XFR2 is probably responsible for this.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
brnwshr
Journeyman III

Hello misterj,

Screenshot posted in my reply (first one idle and second one at work, stressed by cinebench). I'm in HIGH PERF power plan, and I have stopped cpu core parking btw. You will find every informations in the screens, don't hesitate if you need more.pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_3.pngpastedImage_4.png

0 Likes

Thanks, brnwshr.  Looks fairly normal to me, certainly no problems.  The RED on the EDC is saying you have reached the limit on the 140 Amperes.  If you enable PBO you will be able to increase this limit to 168 Amperes.  AMD (I am a user and do not work for AMD) will say you are OCing if you increase a limit which invalidates your warranty.  When a parameter is nearing a limit (PPT is YELLOW in the loaded one) the CPU lowers the CPU voltage and frequency.  If you use a Balanced power plan, I think the idle frequency will go down and the RED EDC will turn WHITE.  The RED and YELLOW will probably remain when your system is loaded.  You can chose to increase the limits of PPT and EDC to increase your performance and get rid of the YELLOW and RED.  This will require Enabling PBO.

A language question for you, please: In RM SMT is showing AR... and MA... I assume that is Off and On respectively and SMT is currently On.  Please tell me what AR... and MA... mean since Google does not know.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

My RM for Cenibench:

pastedImage_6.jpg

0 Likes

Hello misterj,

you are assuming right ! AR is french for ARRET which means OFF and MA for MARCHE which means ON. So if I understood correctly what you said, you suggest that I activate PBO to get rid of these kind of "limitations", which I understand of course is kinda OCing the processor but leaving the automatic overclocking algorithm will continue to do his job right? 

I have read that XFR2 and PBO are automatically OCing really well the processor for Ryzen especially 2nd gen, so a manual OC seems useless to me even if I know how to do it. I'm usually OCing using my motherboard BIOS, so I'm a little bit lost with RM... If you have any suggestion? Things I find really weird is that downclocking when my processor is working. If I'm right, this is because of PPT limitations? 

Btw, regarding the power plan, AMD have a power plan adapted to Ryzen now in windows as you can see in previous images. What's your advice about it? Should I stay with High Power plan or switch to AMD power plan? I will eventually test it after.

Also, I can see that you are in PBO instead of Auto. So I imagine that you have set your EDC and PPT manually? Can you confirme that you are not using a unique core clock ? (I see you are in 3Ghz in RM)

Best regards,

BRNWSHR

0 Likes

To complete my answer, I have done some tests using AMD power plan. Nothing changes if I don't park the cores. So I decided to park the core to see what's changing. As I could imagine, every cores are parked except the first and sometimes the second one, and when a work is launched then every cores wake up and work. I was thinking of that and telling me to myself : "if your cores are waking up when the work begins, they will automatically be slower than already wake up cores if core parking is disabled". 

Well !! xD I'm wrong, I'm having similar results (or even better lol) if core are parked and wakes up when needed (not everytime). Also EDC is following the number of cores waking up. When only one core is UP, then EDC is fairly low and when all cores are working, EDC is at 100% which is logical btw. And I understand why EDC is at 100% everytime when core are not parked because every cores needs to be supply with current.

The second thing I have found odd... New theory (which is false when I test it ) : 

- If my power plan park some cores, then if I launch a single core stress test, my unique core working may be have a better frequency and what's however better performance in single core calculation.

*Buzz sound* You guessed it, I'm WRONG again XD... 

I have a better frequency for single core work : climbing to 4.3, or even 4.35GHz when all other cores are parked. But after 5 tests in a row, I have a better MP Ratio, but also 7% worse performance...

Do you understand anything of that? XD

Anyway, in multi thread calculation, I can see the thing that is limiting my clocks and performances I guess, it's the PPT. But my processor never goes up than 63-65°C and my cooler is not even at 100% of spinning.

If you can clear my path xD... Please help me to find out what's going on ^^

0 Likes

Thanks, brnwshr. Here are your processor specifications:

pastedImage_1.jpg

So, your max boost is 4.3 GHz.  I assume by parking cores, you mean Disabling?  I am not really an OCer, but here is what I know about RM.  On the RM Download page is the QRG (Quick Reference Guide).  The manual is also there.  The QRG is the best I have found.  If you decide to OC, please read the warnings in RM about the Warranty.  I recommend you start with a Clear CMOS to get everything to factory settings.  Then decide to use BIOS OR RM to OC.  Using both will cause problems and conflicts.  To use RM, the easiest way is to Enable PBO which allows what you see in my screenshot.  You can then alter lots of things but nothing takes effect until Apply is clicked.  Apply and Test is also available which I recommend.  When your system is rebooted, all RM settings are lost and do not come back after starting your system.  This is a safety measure to prevent from getting stuck with a system that will not boot because of a bad RM OC.  I suggest you do try using Ryzen Balanced power plan and see how you like it.  You always can change the settings in the plan with Advance button.  W10 also has an Ultimate Performance plan - let me know if you want to try it and I'll show how to activate it.  In my screenshot, I did not modify anything but PPT and TDC.  EDC is broken on my processor (All 2xxx processors, I have complained and hopefully they are fixing).  If any of CPU Temperature, PPT, TDC or EDC gets to the limit, the core voltage and frequency is throttled to prevent going over.  If you disable core(s) and apply in RM, they never wake until you enable it/them.  Please ask any other questions you have.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Thank you very much, I will dive into it ! Thank you very much for the time you took to answer me, very instructive ! It is really nice to see people from the AMD community really concerned about the experience of other users  !

See you, 

BRNWSHR

0 Likes

You are very welcome, brnwshr.  I really enjoy doing this.  Please do not hesitant to tell me where I have gone wrong.  Enjoy ,John.

0 Likes

Put Windows to Balanced or Optimal power plan and frequencies will go down to 1550mhz in idle.

0 Likes