cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Bestgamer104
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 2700x clock speed high than normal

My cpu for some reason now has been going up to 3.9 to 4.2 ghz with no overclock. I’ve recently turned on msi game mode and turned it off because my cpu was over heating on idle but ever since this has been happening I’ve turned off pbo that kinda helped. I cleared cmos and reseted my bios which didn’t seem to work.

specs:

Ryzen 7 2700x

msi x570 wireless WiFi mobo 

rx 580 8gb

16gb Corsair vengeance 

16gb g.skill 

500w Corsair power supply

0 Likes
9 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hej,

that's pretty normal, don't worry.

Even with PBO disabled and no overclocking. As long as thermal headroom is available, it will push some cores up high.

The Englishman
0 Likes

But how if the base clock is 3.7ghz

0 Likes

But the Boost clock is 4.3

Quote from AMD website:

Max boost for AMD processors is the maximum frequency achievable by a single core on the processor running a bursty single-threaded workload. Max boost will vary based on several factors, including, but not limited to: thermal paste; system cooling; motherboard design and BIOS; the latest AMD chipset driver; and the latest OS updates. GD-150. Learn More.

The Englishman
0 Likes

So is my cpu being boosted?

0 Likes

As part of its normal operation

The Englishman
0 Likes

but the speed of my cpu would never go that high until I had turned on msi game mode and turned it off

0 Likes

I'm sorry, I do not have MSI parts to have a look.

You did that change in BIOS, right? Have you enabled PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) for a chance?
Could be a setting for that "MSI Game Mode" that activates PBO and/or other things. ASUS RoG boards do have some modes/profiles that do this.

In the meanwhile.

Some mid to high end boards should have a lot of tweak options for disabling boost or limiting it if you so please. If you are not facing any problem with thermals or stability, I would leave it on.

The Englishman
0 Likes

I have pbo disabled and reseted bios and cleared cmos that kinda helped but when I switch to high performance power plan my cpu speed tends to go higher which makes my cpu temps go up to 50-56 with an aio

0 Likes

Hej,

50-56 is good, assuming its not idling. And if its at its peak, then its great!

At this very time of writing I'm getting 45-50 ºC on a Wraith with 22ºC room temp. Peaking at 70-74ºC on DaVinci Resolve and sub 65ºC gaming.

johnnyenglish_0-1624674879393.png

Cheers

The Englishman
0 Likes