cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

smgjohn
Adept III

Ryzen 7 1700 freezes Chrome

Of the strangest issues I ever seen, on my Ryzen 7 1700 I have Chrome freezing with just one tab of YouTube open at certain videos, if I add more than two or more tabs it will also cause Chrome to freeze for sure.

This is strangest issue I ever seen on a system before.

My 7 1700 is OC to 3.9GHz on all cores with 1,375 vcore and I tested it extensively in CPU hard tasks and it fares very well without locking up.

My 2400MHz C16 memory runs at around 2666MHz OC the terrible motherboard B350 wont let me OC it anymore.

I have tried turning my memory OC to normal and it still causes same issue, I tried increasing vcore and still wont solve the issue at hand.

I am running Windows 8.1 with the latest updates including the Spectre patches with the chipset drivers installed, its an issue that is annoying me to no end.

I even tried memtest just to find faults with my memory, passed 7 times, system runs fine in games too except Civilization V then it freezes my entire system after hours of gameplay, its the only game out of 27 games tested that actually causes problems.

What could this issue be?? My complete system spec:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.9GHz OC 1,375vcore

AMD Radeon Rx Vega 56

Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz C16 OC to 2666MHz

Crucal MX300 525GB

Windows 8.1 Pro

0 Likes
1 Solution

First try turning off Chrome "Hardware acceleration" and see if the freezes stops or improves in the Chrome Bowser.

Second, you can disable all of Chrome's extensions in case one of them is causing the problem.

In BIOS disable "Fast Start" if it is enabled. This causes many issues with Users.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

First try turning off Chrome "Hardware acceleration" and see if the freezes stops or improves in the Chrome Bowser.

Second, you can disable all of Chrome's extensions in case one of them is causing the problem.

In BIOS disable "Fast Start" if it is enabled. This causes many issues with Users.

smgjohn
Adept III

It appears hardware acceleration is indeed at fault whether it is my Vega drivers causing it or my CPU is beyond me, I tested both of them without OC and issue went away, then I tried either one but either one caused the issue to return, turning off hardware acceleration solved everything with Chrome.

Fast Start also was disabled from the very beginning I built the system.

Anyway thanks for your input I actually did not think about hardware acceleration in Chrome at all.

Hope anyone else who has similar issue as me sees this and finds a solution.

0 Likes