cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

chukeer
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5xxx Series RMA Question

After a 20 year run with Intel, the newest release of AMD CPUs has me pretty excited.  my last AMD CPU was Anthon Thunderbird.  I was lucky enough to be able to order a 5950x directly from the AMD website on Thursday.  It shipped from Digital River (AMD reseller) and I had it Friday afternoon (yesterday).  

Now I am unfortunately wondering what to expect when attempting to RMA the new Zen 3 5xxx series processors.  When I received the package it looked like the packaging had a little bit of damage, but it honestly did not seem that bad.  I then opened the box and this is what the retail packaging for the processor looked like (see attached).  Either the package had been stepped on, or something heavy fell on my box in transport thus crushing it.

I called Customer Support immediately because it appears that there are some bent pins.  I looked into the side of the box with a flashlight.  I did not want to break the seal on the box and pull the chip out to further inspect as the Warranty page suggests that bent pins are grounds for voiding of warranty.  Last thing I need is to be blamed for ruining the processor and then having to deal with all that goes with that.  I also don't want to have to deal with trying to bend pins back hoping/praying that a brand new $800 CPU works. 

I created an RMA, received the automated email with a ticket number, but there is no information of what the expected turnaround is going to be to get the next response to further process the RMA.  I also wondering what the process is going to look like since these CPUs sold out in minutes.  Does AMD set aside some of these new CPUs for warranty claims, or once the RMA gets approved is it a waiting game for the new shipment to come in?

0 Likes
2 Replies

If you purchased the processor directly from AMD then it has a 3 year Warranty for a AMD Retail Box purchase.

Normally the Warranty starts AFTER the Retailer/Vendor's Warranty expires which isn't in your case.

So you already opened an AMD RMA Ticket to replace the processor. Now it is a guessing game to find out how long it will take AMD to replace it since it is such a new processor recently released to the public.

Personally I wouldn't have accepted the shipment if the Shipping box was damaged and tell the shipper to send you another one.  But it was smart of you not to break open the plastic clam shell that shows bent pins. Plus you took photos of the damaged processor packaging.

You are quite correct that AMD voids the Warranty on any bent or broken pins on the processor (Customer Error, normally).

But since you didn't break open the plastic clam shell that proves to AMD that it was the shipper's fault for damaging your processor.

I would believe you either have to open a claim with Digital Rivers (Shipper) or AMD would have to open a claim with their shipper to have your processor replaced as DOA or replace it under Warranty. 

Either way you should receive a replacement. Possibly one of the Moderators can inquire about the turn around on the RMA process for the new Zen 3 processors.

0 Likes
rahevarkajal
Journeyman III

Should I return bad ryzen 3600 cpu to amazon or rma from amd? ... of AMD 400 Series Motherboards Will Support Ryzen 5000 Series Processors.
0 Likes