cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ryzen 5950x Stock Frequency Lower Than Rated

Hi friends,

I am using the Ryzen 5950x since November. In first place I was using the motherboard Asus Rog Strix X570 E Gaming that was a defective one at last. The temps of the CPU in BIOS Auto Settings were going like a joke in idle to 75c. So I changed to the MSI MEG X570 Ace in the last 2 weeks and everything was fine. With Auto Settings in BIOS and running benchmark, the max temp I got was 73-75c while in idle I have days that I reach 29-32 or 37-38c. So until now everything was fine.

The reason I created this thread here is because something weird happening now. I had read here in the forums that having the PBO in Auto setting, means Disabled. So I went to the BIOS and I change PBO to Enabled and I also tried the options Enhance Mode 1 and Enhance Mode 2. There is a 3 and 4 option but I didn't use them.

Of course I have change the XMP to XMP1 so my Trident Z Neo RAM will run at their out of the box frequency that is the 3600MHz. So after I did that I didn't notice any significant difference and then I went to the BIOS and loaded optimized defaults. Now while I was watching the CPU frequency on idle in some cores, the lowest value they had was 3.4GHz that is the stock out of the box frequency.

Now suddenly some cores running at 2.9GHz, 3GHz, 3.1GHz while some others to 3.6GHz etc. Also I noticed that while running benchmark while the most of the cores were jumping to 4.6-4.7GHz, now they jump to 4.4-4.5GHz and the single core frequency that was about 4.9-5GHz now it is 4.8 and something in the last tests I ran.

I don't use any Windows 10 power plan of power saving but the Ultimate Performance. Also I tried to clear CMOS and nothing changed. Things are the same. Also in one moment that I was running the Virtual DJ software the cores were running at 2.3GHz that is crazy.

I am using the latest MSI stable BIOS. I don't want to use the beta BIOS they released that supports AGESA ComboV 1.2.0.0 because I don't trust the beta BIOS that much.

Any idea what's going on here? I also created a ticket to the AMD Customer Support today. Thanks however and sorry for the tl;dr but I had to explain somehow what's happening.

default_idle_5950x.pngdefault_idle_5950x_b.jpgvirtual_dj_software_running_5950x.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution

And update here:

MSI released today the stable BIOS that supports AGESA ComboV 1.2.0.0 and Re-Size BAR function. I flashed them and I have the in BIOS all in stock settings and only enabled the Re-Size BAR and XMP for my RAM. Now all cores in idle mode goes from 3.6 and higher and at random times only 1 of the 16 cores showing for a second that is at 2.8GHz. So do you think everything is normal now and I have not to worry? However I still waiting further update from AMD support.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply

And update here:

MSI released today the stable BIOS that supports AGESA ComboV 1.2.0.0 and Re-Size BAR function. I flashed them and I have the in BIOS all in stock settings and only enabled the Re-Size BAR and XMP for my RAM. Now all cores in idle mode goes from 3.6 and higher and at random times only 1 of the 16 cores showing for a second that is at 2.8GHz. So do you think everything is normal now and I have not to worry? However I still waiting further update from AMD support.

0 Likes