cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@kneel420 man don't be so direspectful to tell me what's what about my own situation when you have very little insight into my situation.

I've been working with computers since the 90's I'm not a noob at this I know how to update a BIOS. I've been troubleshooting this issue since Feb and it's annoying enough to have to replace 2 processors let a lone have someone tell you that you missed an update.

My local brick and mortar tested my CPU and got the same results on a completely separate system, it could no longer boot Windows or Linux. They replaced it on the spot. My first CPU AMD gave the store a refund after they tested my CPU.

If my first 2 CPUs weren't duds I would of gotten the CPU sent back.

Keep in mind I'm only giving the important details in the updates not every little detail and test I've gone through.

Don't claim there's not real issues people are dealing with because there are.

koguma
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@kneel420

A Major part of the problem is everyone's issue is "just slightly" different.  I had no problem running a 3700X with XMP2 at 3600.  Doesn't seem to work with the 5950X.  I've updated my bios.  I've reverted my bios, then updated again.   The only thing that's helped me so far are reduced memory timings.   I'm still waiting on G.Skill to help me diagnose the issue.  They've responded for more information and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Using the Ram calculator as you suggested, did nothing for me, if anything, it made things worse.   Other people have said NOT to use the "Try It!" feature on my MSI board, but that seems to be keeping me stable at 3333.  It's quite possible that the memory controller on the 5xxxx series is just way more finicky than the 3xxxx series and memory latency and timings may be a big factor.  AMD won't tell us, but they might tell the ram manufacturers... hence why I'm hoping G.Skill may offer some insight...

Jump to solution

@kneel420   If you've read a fraction of the conversation in this thread, you would know that there is no "simple" catch all solution to this problem. And if you're aware of that fact then surely you recognize THAT is the problem. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if people claiming they've found a solution are suddenly facing the same problem later down the line. That has happened several times in all of the discussions I've seen relating to this issue.

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

3rd CPU crashed again, a little over 24hrs after being installed. Seems just as unstable as the last one.
I have a feeling the latest BIOS is less stable than previous ones but can't say for sure.

Well at least it's not dead, I can go back to troubleshooting the stability issues and hope this one doesn't die too.

Never had so much trouble with a platform before.

I have 3600Mhz CL16 memory, my PC store says that should be fine.
AMD says supports up to 3200Mhz.
ASUS and G.Skill used to have it on the QVL but now ASUS only has it on the QVL for 3000 series CPUs.

I'm used to just getting memory available on the QVL for a socket type and enabling XMP and it just works.
I can't recall a time when a CPU had s max spec it could handle.

My last CPU made no difference lowering speeds but that one was dying anyway.
I can't find any quality 3200Mhz sticks anymore it seems, everything is 3600Mhz or higher these days.

Does anyone know if this is a memory issue?
Has anyone had success lowering speeds?

0 Likes
tokuro
Adept I

Jump to solution

try bumping VDDG IOD and/or vsoc.

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@tokuro I'd rather not have to bump voltages etc, I don't want to mess with overclocking. I just want to run it stable at stock settings. I'd probably down clock it first.

Does anyone know if running 3600Mhz CL16 with DOCP is considered a normal stock config?

Should this config work fine or should I get different RAM, there seems to be a bit of debate online?

I could answer this question easy if it was Intel but maybe I'm missing something when it comes to modern AMD?

0 Likes
tokuro
Adept I

Jump to solution

@Cmdr-ZiN technically, 3600 on DRAM is overclock on ryzen.  3200 is the "spec" max.  Your BIOS/Firmware will bump voltage when you select anything higher than 3200 (most cases).  Also, if you have 4 sticks, it may take more to make that stable on many motherboards.

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@tokuro thanks for that, good to know. I can't find any quality 3200Mhz sticks so I'll try calculating the timings for my memory at 3200Mhz and see if that helps.

I only have 2 of 4 Dimms populated.

Both previous CPUs I tried running them at 2133Mhz when DOCP wasn't enabled and it still crashed, should it of been stable then? Would that rule out a ram issue or not sure?

0 Likes
kodo28
Adept II

Jump to solution

@Cmdr-ZiN 

I would definitely test the ram with good tester like Memtest86 if you didn't already tested it and if u are crashing at 2133mhz. 

Did u tried with only 1 stick of ram? test one then the other. 

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@kodo28 I ran memtest through several loops without issue.

The ram is functioning normally, I just don't know if it's too fast for the CPU.

It's a worthwhile test but I'll prolly try different memory if it comes to that.

0 Likes