cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

imraneo
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

I was going crazy for hours trying to figure out something. I stumbled upon this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/jzfgj1/ryzen_9_5900x_random_crashes_with_whea/

Spread Spectrum Control-->Disabled 

VCORE SOC--> 1.1V

CPU VDD18--> 1.96V

AMD Quiet Cool-->Disabled

Global C-state Control-->Disabled

CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration--> Turbo

Vcore SOC Loadline Calibration--> Turbo

Precision Boost Overdrive--> Manual

PPT Limit--> 666

TDC Limit--> 666

EDC Limit--> 666

Precision Boost Overdrive Scaler-->Manual

Customized Precision Boost Overdrive Scaler-->10x

Pasted the settings which I meddled with and removed those unavailable to Asus mobos.

It finally worked! CPB is on, XMP is on with RAM running at 3600. Ran Cinebench and all-core frequencies went up to 4Ghz (probably not the best?) but single core boost  goes up at 4.7-4.8Ghz as expected.

Now really what is the problem? I'm thinking some mobos aren't "strong enough" to provide enough power for some CPUs, thus the manual voltage settings required. Pardon my layman thoughts...

So far, I've ran multiple Conebench multi & single core tests at about 30mins at a go with max temps at 76 deg. I know.. it may not be convincing, but without this tweak, I could not even install Windows. I will continue to monitor this..
Please do continue to share. Cheers.

0 Likes
imraneo
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Sorry guys.

Just ignore my previous rant. Tested the PC enough till the reboots came back. And it doesnt happen during benchmarking. Only during trivial tasks.

I'm just gonna disable boost for now and find time to bring it to my retailer :(

0 Likes
cashby
Adept II

Jump to solution

AMD has today released a new Bios so check your manufacturers website for support. 

ASRock has it now available called: Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0 patch D. bios 3.80. I'm too afraid to try it as my PC is still running extremely well since I flashed back to 3.40 and clean installed windows. 

it does mention stability issues resolved but you dont find a lot of information as to what they have done. Twitter says:

AMD has released AGESA 1.1.0.0 Patch D to motherboard partners for the Ryzen 5000 Series. BIOSes begin in January.

Updates

New Curve Optimizer OC feature enabled
Support for Ryzen 5000 Series on 400 Series mobos

System stability improvements

0 Likes
mrsense
Adept II

Jump to solution

Gigabyte already released  1.1.0.0 D this past weeked.  So far so good.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

It is probably CPU frequency boost and variation causing enough noise to cause DRAM errors and PC Crash. 
I find it better and more stable to run my PCs with a fixed manual CPU overclock and BIOS voltages adjusted.
I run the DRAM at the fastest rated speed possible for the motherboard. 
I  turn all of that AMD "CPU Boost" nonsense off, because of the crashing it caused. 
That is my experience with it all. 

0 Likes
jpee80
Adept II

Jump to solution

For ASUS X570  MB owners, they just released a new non BETA BIOS (version 3001). This could be the solution. 

Unfortunately, I had to return the CPU due to my frustration and loss of hours before I can try this. So far, few users in Reddit have some positive results after the update.

0 Likes
jaydeejoy
Elite

Jump to solution

@jpee80 wrote:

For ASUS X570  MB owners, they just released a new non BETA BIOS (version 3001). This could be the solution. 

Unfortunately, I had to return the CPU due to my frustration and loss of hours before I can try this. So far, few users in Reddit have some positive results after the update.

Unfortunately, 3001 bios is still has random restart 5 times in a 1 hour. (XMP ON)
and after update 3001. i cant rollBack 2607 (stabile) bios.
3001 bios says, ''its Not Proper Bios file'' for 2607 stabile bios (tryed others 2812/2816 and same)
mailed to ASUS
i think we have to wait for that.

Asus Tuf x570
3900x
4*8 (3600)

now i am on Default bios settings
xmp disable (:

0 Likes
jaydeejoy
Elite

Jump to solution

@cashby wrote:

AMD has today released a new Bios so check your manufacturers website for support. 

ASRock has it now available called: Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0 patch D. bios 3.80. I'm too afraid to try it as my PC is still running extremely well since I flashed back to 3.40 and clean installed windows. 

it does mention stability issues resolved but you dont find a lot of information as to what they have done. Twitter says:

AMD has released AGESA 1.1.0.0 Patch D to motherboard partners for the Ryzen 5000 Series. BIOSes begin in January.

Updates

New Curve Optimizer OC feature enabled
Support for Ryzen 5000 Series on 400 Series mobos

System stability improvements

Updated new bios (Asus 3001 / x570/3900x/4*8 3600 XMP on) and RANDOM RESTART still exist.
AND NEW BIOS DONT ALLOWED TO ROLLBACK old bios.
DO NOT UPDATE

0 Likes
thunk_stuff
Adept II

Jump to solution

I posted this in another thread and found a temporary solution that gives me a completely stable system with no constant WHEA crashes. It uses the BIOS curve optimizer and I would be curious if this helps other people. I know for sure it has worked great so far for one other person.

I am now able to run my 5900x with XMP enabled and 3800 RAM and 1900 Fabric. My performance is pretty good, if slightly less than review benchmarks. I can hit 4300Mhz all core and 4700Mhz single core, slightly less than promised. But this is at least better than having to disable PBO and getting $100 budget CPU performance.

I see this as a temporary fix, since I still don't have a stable system at default BIOS settings which is not acceptable long term. However, I think it's helpful to know if this works for others and would show that we are all having the same problem (or not).

Note: This fix relies on the new BIOS feature in PBO2 called Curve Optimizer. Only recent BIOS releases in the last month will have this, and it may not be out for all motherboards.  It's supposed to be a "smart" overclock that allows you to bump up or down voltage, but based on power needs.  It's easier to use than figuring out specific voltage settings to use, as you set a relative offset number compared to default, and not an absolute value. 

Fix:

1. Set all overclock features to default.

2. Google curve optimizer for your motherboard to see how to enable it in your BIOS. For me I had to go into AMD Overclocking and enabled "advanced" PBO mode.

3. Set curve to apply to all cores

4. Start at a conservative value, like positive 2, and go up from there.  The scale goes up to +30. Each step up in interval (AMD calls it magnitude) is equivalent to around 3-7mV at the lower end, but this scale range changes the higher you go up. That's why AMD calls this a "magnitude" step and doesn't give voltage values.

I was able to have a mostly stable system at +6. It did crash after a day. At +8, it has been stable for almost a week now without one crash in a variety of tasks (gaming, idle, web browser, all core benchmark, single core benchmark). I also set it to +10, which was also stable but you want to stay at the minimum voltage that gives you a stable system. If you don't have ANY improvements at all in stability as you go higher from +2 to +8, then you may be having a different problem than me and I wouldn't go higher.

0 Likes
imraneo
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thank you for your info on the new Asus BIOS.

Are you saying that you can run CPB but its the XMP which causes reboots? I feel thats a different issue and I realise that you have a 3900X, not a 5900X.
I think we'll have to wait for Asus to integrate PatchD into the BIOS before we see some results..

0 Likes