cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

BillAdama
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@Cmdr-ZiN Thanks, I did try those suggestions with no improvement unfortunately. Thank you for putting that list together

In fact MSI are aware of whea 18/19 errors as you can see here, and also the aforementioned RAM/FCLK instability above 3200: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/msi-x570-b550-beta-bios-update-bug-status.348919/

Now I am running b450 and the 3700x. However the problem appeared for me after new BIOS were released to account for 5000 series chips. I would bet the causes are the same regardless of cpu. In that thread MSI say to await a BIOS update which is forthcoming: https://wccftech.com/msi-amd-ryzen-agesa-1-2-0-2-bios-firmware-for-x570-b550-motherboards/

I could rollback to an old BIOS, but I am also ok running stable at 3200mhz for now...and waiting for that BIOS update to come that hopefully solves it, since I don't want to flash it any more than I need to. Plus the performance difference is very small.

Cmdr-ZiN
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@BillAdama wow awesome info, that brings a lot of light on the subject, I'll have a read. Yeah diffinitely wait for BIOS update or roll back in your case.

I have current latest update but I might need to try putting PSU idle control back to Auto after the next update sounds like they still have some work to do 😛

However I can't confirm but based of my calculations under 6W power draw may not be stable for my PSU. I have my eyes on a PSU that can handle a 12V 0A rail when I have time and money, but I might just wait until after the next BIOS update for curiosity 😛

0 Likes
Lukes
Adept I

Jump to solution

Using 5800x, MSI x570 tomahawk and had the same issue. All i did to fix was, set PSS to disabled. Now running stable even undervolted with single core boost ₊200. 

ace50k
Adept I

Jump to solution

@Lukes, I've done the same thing on my ASUS X570-F and it seems to have fixed it.  No WHEA/BSOD for the last couple of days.  Not had a chance to fire-up some games but hope to do so this weekend.  Will post again if the issue comes back when gaming.

Lukes
Adept I

Jump to solution

Happy to help. Weird that i discovered it randomly and havent find any additional info related to this PSS topic. 

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Adept III

Jump to solution

@Lukes @ace50k Disabling PSS would be akin to disabling C-States. It might work around the issue but your machine is meant to work with this enabled you shouldn't have to disable a feature to get it to work.

If it's a new system you might need to replace something, if it's old maybe a firmware roll back or a future firmware might help.

Have you tried AMDs troubleshooting I posted a few pages back? It probably won't make your system work any better than it is now, it's fine to leave PSS disabled, but you might gain insight into wether to need to roll back a bios or swap a component.

0 Likes
Lukes
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thank you, I will try that. However I didnt mention, that my system si perfectly stable in stock settings. I probably only pushed undervolting + overclocking too far. I am getting much better benchmark results and all is stable however i get random restarts at idle twice a week. Dissabling PSS seems to help my system stabilized. I havent seen any side effects like rising temps. 

Cmdr-ZiN
Adept III

Jump to solution

@Lukes thanks for letting us know it's not occurring during stock settings. I assumed everyone was using stock settings.

If it's due to undervolting there's some curves you can adjust but it's probably easier just sticking with what you have. If this doesn't work for you try disabling C-States entirely or tweaking your undervolting.

0 Likes
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Hi Ivan,

Could you tell me what solution worked for you?
I'm experiencing the same issues with my 5950X. 
I did not overlock my set-up with the RT 6900 XT.

Errors have been shown ID 18, 30, 4, 24, 12, 2, 6, 0...

0 Likes
TrapoSAMA
Adept II

Jump to solution

Hi!

In this moment dont exist a specific solution. Only try some tips here.

Sometime work change(RMA) CPU, sometime changing GPU in other Mobo or PSU. In other case BIOS upgrade.

Please read and try in your case.