cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

imraneo
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@cashby wrote:

I Decided to start over again. When I first built my system I used a SSD with the OS on it from my old PC and then tried to reinstall windows to my new M.2 SSD. it encountered some issues but eventually got it to work however I was noticing it was not showing as the first boot option in bios and every time I tried to change it - was causing issues. 

So I used the X570 Taichi mobo tools to wipe and format the M.2 drive which had my current OS on it. I then did a clean install of windows 10 and it fixed the boot drive issues. Somehow my samsung evo game drive got wiped but that's another story... 

I then started installing very minimal things - started off with epic games and played fortnite as this would cause my issues. didn't have any at all. It's been 4 days and I have not encountered any issues at all. started installing more things and still going well. 

I have not touched bios - everything is left on auto. I've run PCmark, 3Dmark and stress tests. It's the best I've had this run since I built it. still on the 3.40 bios from ASRock. 

Not sure if this would help others though but at least I still have everything still enabled and getting full use of CPU. 

Are you saying that a simple Windows re-install solved the problem for you?

Honestly I'm a bit confused. My system was initially stable right after I build it last week. Only yesterday it started rebooting randomly. As I kept testing throughout the day, it got worse - it rebooted even before it loaded Windows! Now it's in a pretty unusable state unless I disable CPB.

Also intially with CPB on, I felt it was boosting sporadically, causing higher temps (50s) even during idle. Now.. is it a program which is causing all this? Even if it is boosting, there's no reason for reboots. So, again, this is an AMD forum. Are they reading this? I think we need an acknowledgement from them so at least we have a peace of mind. I'm ok waiting for a BIOS fix but I need to know that it is being looked at.

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

If you're using a BIOS with AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.1.0.0 Patch C, try re-flashing to the one before the "C" patch. The one with a "C" is a "Beta".  @cashby is using a BIOS that is a non "C" patch: AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0

Between reinstalling Windows from scratch and using that version of Agesa, most likely solved his issue.

The other "beta" BIOS out that can be problematic is: Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.0.8.0

This is on X570 chipset boards. Agesa is AMD's code that applies to all BIOS's for the Ryzen series.

Other chipsets like the B550 have a similar "Beta" BIOS, I forget that version, but if you have a B550 board and a "Beta" version BIOS, try the previous release.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
cashby
Adept II

Jump to solution

@imraneo wrote:

@cashby wrote:

I Decided to start over again. When I first built my system I used a SSD with the OS on it from my old PC and then tried to reinstall windows to my new M.2 SSD. it encountered some issues but eventually got it to work however I was noticing it was not showing as the first boot option in bios and every time I tried to change it - was causing issues. 

So I used the X570 Taichi mobo tools to wipe and format the M.2 drive which had my current OS on it. I then did a clean install of windows 10 and it fixed the boot drive issues. Somehow my samsung evo game drive got wiped but that's another story... 

I then started installing very minimal things - started off with epic games and played fortnite as this would cause my issues. didn't have any at all. It's been 4 days and I have not encountered any issues at all. started installing more things and still going well. 

I have not touched bios - everything is left on auto. I've run PCmark, 3Dmark and stress tests. It's the best I've had this run since I built it. still on the 3.40 bios from ASRock. 

Not sure if this would help others though but at least I still have everything still enabled and getting full use of CPU. 

Are you saying that a simple Windows re-install solved the problem for you?

Honestly I'm a bit confused. My system was initially stable right after I build it last week. Only yesterday it started rebooting randomly. As I kept testing throughout the day, it got worse - it rebooted even before it loaded Windows! Now it's in a pretty unusable state unless I disable CPB.

Also intially with CPB on, I felt it was boosting sporadically, causing higher temps (50s) even during idle. Now.. is it a program which is causing all this? Even if it is boosting, there's no reason for reboots. So, again, this is an AMD forum. Are they reading this? I think we need an acknowledgement from them so at least we have a peace of mind. I'm ok waiting for a BIOS fix but I need to know that it is being looked at.

i had flashed bios back as per discussions on here but it didnt work. i then tried voltage changes with dram but i was like another user caused even more issues. SO in the end still on the flashed back bios. non beta - i used the motherboard tools to format my m.2 SSD and then reinstalled windows straight to the m.2 - fixed my boot start up issues and i havent had any issues now with the WHEA or Kernel - P errors for at least 4 days. fingers crossed that was it. Didnt have to change anything in bios at all. 

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Jump to solution

That BIOS is the 3.40: Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0 ? Correct? Because that Agesa version is what this OP needs to know. When I started posting to this topic, knowing that you were not installing directly to the M.2 would have been handy info.:smileyhappy:

"It worked before you broke it!"
imraneo
Adept I

Jump to solution

I have flashed back to Patch B non beta BIOS.

Windows still reboots.

Did an erase via BIOS. Now running Windows installer. The issue is so bad that I get reboots right after entering the installer :(

I tried running at both default 2133 and 3600 ram speed. I don't even remember it being this bad right after I build this PC. Has it degraded somehow? Should I connect the optional 4pin CPU power?

0 Likes
CrispyCrunch
Adept II

Jump to solution

@imraneo wrote:

I have flashed back to Patch B non beta BIOS.

Windows still reboots.

Did an erase via BIOS. Now running Windows installer. The issue is so bad that I get reboots right after entering the installer :(

I tried running at both default 2133 and 3600 ram speed. I don't even remember it being this bad right after I build this PC. Has it degraded somehow? Should I connect the optional 4pin CPU power?

I don't think the 4pin CPU power is optional :-)

0 Likes
jpee80
Adept II

Jump to solution

The solutions provided in this thread did not solve my problem. I requested RMA last week but have not heard so far. So I switched back to 3600XT and everything is stable.

I eventually  returned the CPU since it has been time consuming for me trying to fix it. I will reconsider this when BIOS and/or chipset drivers get better. 

0 Likes
cashby
Adept II

Jump to solution

@mackbolan777 wrote:

That BIOS is the 3.40: Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0 ? Correct? Because that Agesa version is what this OP needs to know. When I started posting to this topic, knowing that you were not installing directly to the M.2 would have been handy info.:smileyhappy:

so im using 3.40: AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.0.8.0. The on you have listed is 3.60. which is also a non beta one. im too scared now to try anything else.... hahahaha like you say in your sign off. it worked before i broke it!

Yeah the m.2 installation was new to me so i thought it would be kinda like a normal install. first time ive owned one. sorted that out quickly enough though. :)

0 Likes
imraneo
Adept I

Jump to solution

Well, I went back way back till the very first  1.0.8.0.. and a few others after.

I'm pretty screwed. I've ran out of ideas. It's either the mobo or the CPU. Will be bringing it to my retailer for further troubleshooting :(

0 Likes
Ownz
Adept I

Jump to solution

What i can say is i have swaped a b550e from asus to a x570 hero viii and the pc keeps rebooting. So i sent the cpu back for a refund, and bought another 5900x. The new one should arrive today and i will give an update.

0 Likes