cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

thunk_stuff
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution
 

@mackbolan777 wrote:

Not sure if it will help, but AMD released a chipset driver for all boards on 10/19/2020. You need to go to the driver site, select chipset not GPU there and download it. I found I needed to reinstall my OS in order to update that driver before, but, maybe not. I just put that driver in yesterday since I needed to reinstall Windows thanks to the update failing in the middle! But the good part is I went to the driver site and found this updated chipset driver: 2.10.13.408 10/19/2020

Windows Update nor Adrenaline will ever update that driver. Always need to check every so often.


I tried that but it did not fix WHEA crash problem, whereas if I increase voltage on curve optimizer to +8 it remains stable. 

I made sure the 10/19/2020 driver installed properly by going to "Device Manager" -> "System devices" -> Right click "AMD PCI" Properties -> Details Tab -> Select "Driver version" from drop down .

Value 1.0.0.81 matches version in AMD release notes:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-chipset-2-10-13-408

 

0 Kudos
j96j
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@imraneo wrote:

OK guys. I've had some progress.

Im using Asus Strix X570-F BIOS 3001. Stock settings, didn't solve my reboots. So I finally narrowed down to these 2 settings which worked:

1) Disable Global C-state control

2) Vcore at 1.1V

All this while I've been over-volting. In fact I should be under-volting. In auto settings, the default voltage is 1.44V.

I have narrowed down the above 2 settings to be relevant for this fix. I've had other changes slowly removed as they're not needed.

More info:

  • Idle temp: 44 deg (3.6Ghz)
  • Single core boost: ~51 deg (max boost 4.82Ghz)
  • All core boost: ~71 deg (max boost 4.52Ghz)
  • XMP 3600 turned ON

Idled for about 10hrs straight (this is where reboots happen almost immediately, so this gives me huge confidence). Also ran some CineBench stably.

Still keeping my fingers crossed tightly. I think I'm getting what I paid for. Please share if this helped.
Also, is there any issue if I disable C-state control? I read this is a power saving feature, but I'm pretty new to this.

Cheers.



Using 5800x, MSI x570 tomahawk (latest chipset driver and BIOS). At stock settings, PC reboots at idle or when applications are running. Tried disabling RAM's XMP, CBP, PBO, global cstate control. However, pc still crashed with same error.

My only temporary fix is to set my CPU core voltage to 1.3v. Tried 1.25v and I can finish RDR2 without any crashes. But when I play cyberpunk, it crashes. So I use the 1.3v.

However with this setting of CPU core voltage (offset mode 1.3v), my CPU clock speed is running at base clock (3800 MHz).
Is there any way to set CPU core voltage to 1.3v and run CPU clock speed to auto?

0 Kudos
thunk_stuff
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@j96j wrote:


My only temporary fix is to set my CPU core voltage to 1.3v. Tried 1.25v and I can finish RDR2 without any crashes. But when I play cyberpunk, it crashes. So I use the 1.3v.

However with this setting of CPU core voltage (offset mode 1.3v), my CPU clock speed is running at base clock (3800 MHz).
Is there any way to set CPU core voltage to 1.3v and run CPU clock speed to auto?


Do you have curve optimizer in your BIOS? Have you tried setting it to a positive voltage setting for all core, somewhere bewteen +2 and +10? This would be with all other voltages/overclock at default.

This is what has made my system stable. I know it has worked for one other person. I am still waiting to hear from someone in this thread that it doesn't work for, to know how similar the problem is between me and everything else with these WHEA errors that seem affected by voltage.

imraneo
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@j96j wrote:

@imraneo wrote:

OK guys. I've had some progress.

Im using Asus Strix X570-F BIOS 3001. Stock settings, didn't solve my reboots. So I finally narrowed down to these 2 settings which worked:

1) Disable Global C-state control

2) Vcore at 1.1V

All this while I've been over-volting. In fact I should be under-volting. In auto settings, the default voltage is 1.44V.

I have narrowed down the above 2 settings to be relevant for this fix. I've had other changes slowly removed as they're not needed.

More info:

  • Idle temp: 44 deg (3.6Ghz)
  • Single core boost: ~51 deg (max boost 4.82Ghz)
  • All core boost: ~71 deg (max boost 4.52Ghz)
  • XMP 3600 turned ON

Idled for about 10hrs straight (this is where reboots happen almost immediately, so this gives me huge confidence). Also ran some CineBench stably.

Still keeping my fingers crossed tightly. I think I'm getting what I paid for. Please share if this helped.
Also, is there any issue if I disable C-state control? I read this is a power saving feature, but I'm pretty new to this.

Cheers.



Using 5800x, MSI x570 tomahawk (latest chipset driver and BIOS). At stock settings, PC reboots at idle or when applications are running. Tried disabling RAM's XMP, CBP, PBO, global cstate control. However, pc still crashed with same error.

My only temporary fix is to set my CPU core voltage to 1.3v. Tried 1.25v and I can finish RDR2 without any crashes. But when I play cyberpunk, it crashes. So I use the 1.3v.

However with this setting of CPU core voltage (offset mode 1.3v), my CPU clock speed is running at base clock (3800 MHz).
Is there any way to set CPU core voltage to 1.3v and run CPU clock speed to auto?



Did you try just disabling C states and playing around with Vcore? Try it.

With CPB off, your CPU is gonna remain at base clock. I believe the Vcore is something which needs to be experimented with various values... and my guess if you should go lower than stock. My stock at Auto was 1.44V and I'm running at 1.1V for stability.

Disabling C states will prevent it from "sleeping" and going into ultra low clocks. This helps too, but I'm guessing I'm using more power when using the PC.

As for XMP.. I never really made a difference in stability to me. So I keep it on.

0 Kudos
tim716
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

 



Do you have curve optimizer in your BIOS? Have you tried setting it to a positive voltage setting for all core, somewhere bewteen +2 and +10? This would be with all other voltages/overclock at default.

This is what has made my system stable. 


 

Actually, this. Thank you for this info. 

EDC limit = 200A.

Curve optimizer = +8. 

Looks like it works for me too. Of course your CPU might need more or less curve.

If this works for many people, I can even give a conspiracy  theory, explaining this.

Looks like the AMD casino took the silicon lottery to a new level. 

The usual gambling used to be - how well you can overclock your CPU, but the base specified peroformance was guaranteed to you. Not anymore. Now, to make the Ryzen great again, the performance AMD specifies is the performance of an AVERAGE CPU. But of course that doesn't mean AMD is going to put a half of the CPU yield which is below that average down the trash and lose profits. That means a half of the buyers downvolts their CPUs to overclock them (the "awesome" new feature much advertised by AMD), and another half OVERvolts their CPUs to UNDERclock  them to make them work somehow.  This thread is the home of this second half losers. And, miraculously, these attempts to make this crap work voids the warranty, so AMD doesn't even have to take their crap back. Casinos never lose!

Of course this can be corrected by BIOSes (and will be, when AMD is tired of RMAs) by just raising the default voltages and/or cutting the turboboost (together with the performance).

Also it can be easily explained why the systems mostly BSOD or reboot at idle or some plain low load tasks, and remain stable under burn-in. The problem is not overheating, the problem is inability of a given crappy CPU to work stable at a given frequency with a given voltage. (just the same as if you undervolt it too much). The larger the frequency, the more chance of a BSOD to occur. The fully all-core loaded CPU works at LESSER frequences to stay within the TDP. But when you stop your burn-in and start to watch a video, just one or two cores (pre-heated by the previous burn-in) work, but they work at the MAXIMUM frequences. And - say Hi to a BSOD or reboot.

If the above turns out true, I'd advise everyone having a similar problem th RMA their CPUs ASAP.

Podersen
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Hey man I have the exact same problem with the same hardware except a 5900x and now lately it has escalated to a point where I get maybe 3 seconds in the bios before it freezes and I have to reboot.

Have you figured anything out? 


@Carrinthe wrote:

Oké count me in :(

Since a few days I have 5950X with an MSI x570 Unify and constant reboots in idle. In my event viewer I see I've had 8 critical errors in the last 24 hours event-id 41 source: Kernel-Power. I've tried Bios A70, A81 and A82 (the last two are beta) with no effect. I've increased voltage tot my mem (4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C16Q-64GTZRC)  to 1.39v, still rebooting. I've now disabled  XMP to see if that works. But I see that disabling PBO and CBP should help.  Well for now I'm happy with just a stable system while they work on fixing the problem. But with PBO an CBP disabled I can run XMP? 


 

0 Kudos
Podersen
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Thanks for mentioning the 1.1vcore. Helped me on a 5900x and X570 Unify. Do you have any other tricks you could share?. Also do you run xmp while downclocking your cpu?

 

0 Kudos
thunk_stuff
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@tim716 wrote:

 


Actually, this. Thank you for this info. 

EDC limit = 200A.

Curve optimizer = +8. 

Looks like it works for me too. Of course your CPU might need more or less curve.

If this works for many people, I can even give a conspiracy  theory, explaining this.

Looks like the AMD casino took the silicon lottery to a new level. 

Glad it helped. One thing I am curious as hopefully more people test it out, is how many can get it stable at +2, +4, or do people need to raise it higher. +6 almost worked for me, but crashed after a day. +8 is the lowest I can get and be stable. Maybe +7 would work, but I'm just not in the mood to deal with bluescreens right now.

I was kind of thinking along the same lines that we are on the losing end of silicon lottery. It would make sense given how a simple voltage tweak fixes the problem and makes it 100% stable. I am on day 11 of this fix working for me using my computer daily at all hours. This fix also manifest as me having a low quality binned chip running at lower frequency: I can run stable but my clocks are 100-200Mhz less than at default, and my chip runs hotter.

If this is the case, AMD should have discovered this in the testing phase and put them aside for a lower end chip.

But we may have a clearer idea when AGESA 1.1.8.0 gets released this month and PBO2 is official. The 5000 series was designed to run best with PBO2. Maybe AMD had our chips in mind but couldn't get a fix out in time. Crossing finger that this is the case.

If not, we have full reason to RMA this chip as we are not able to run stable at default or get expected clocks.

 

mackbolan777
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

I found AMD updated the chipset driver on 10/20, it specifically addresses fixes for the 5000 series CPU's, support for the 6000 GPU's and some other things. Might be worth a try.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Kudos
Carrinthe
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Well, that sounds like a different problem, I would clear CMOS if you have that option or pull out the battery and try again or otherwise flash the bios again to try to resolve it. 

It look like I have a stable system with the suggestion here: disable PBO and CBP with XMP on. To claw back some performance I've got an all core overclock @4.3Ghz with 1.25v. For the last 24 hours it looks stable. 

0 Kudos