cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@authorized_to_ill that information is nothing new, it's speculation at best. The only statement I've heard is B2 is to improve manufacturing effeciency.

If this was a widespread issue it would be all over the news.

I have to imagine that while many are affected it's probably not enough to land on anyones radar.

@eliotcole If you want my PC specs you can look a all my posts and scroll to the beginning, there's a good list on the first black screen resizable bars one but I usually post them when I first join a thread so there's more details later when I started noticing the WHEA errors.

If you have any specific questions about my hardware after that let me know.

The only way I've been able to reproduce it is to leave it on and wait, It used to happen within several days, but every now and then it'll be fixed for a couple of months.

I've looked in PSU, I've replaced the CPU and ruled out GFX card.

I'm now looking into the RAM situation, AMD 5000 series CPUs only support upto 3200Mhz memory. I'm used to Intel and previous AMD systems just supporting any memory on the QVL for the MOBO, but maybe it's not that simple with Infinity Fabric. It fails like it's a CPU not a RAM issue, I wonder if the CPU acts up with faster RAM.

Many of us have 3600Mhz memory and there's lots of reports on RAM issues with Ryzen. So I'm used to just checking the QVL and enabling XMP and the system being stable but maybe it's more complicated than that.

So I'm going to learn all about what makes RAM different on a Ryzen system and get back to you if I find any interesting results.

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@Cmdr-ZiN  The thread is fairly new, so I assumed it wasn't common knowledge. To be clear, I wasn't trying to help spread conspiracies or anything. I just wanted to spotlight the PBO and CO as the potential culprits to these issues. I have disabled both and I am now running my "Microsoft Store download test" to see what happens. As I mentioned before, downloading through there has consistently created the WHEA error/restarts. I would love to know if anyone else can recreate the error the same way. Sometimes I crash after 3-5 gigs are downloaded. Other times I can download 100 gigs before a crash. Either way, it's the only time I get the error.

As for the RAM theory. I considered this as well. That's why I brought my RAM speed down to 3200 and FCLK to 1600. I thought that was good enough for a while, but then the same WHEA errors started happening. I haven't tried going below 3000, but at that point I am 100% on the road to a return. Heck, I'm pretty much already out the door. I'm curious though. So I'm giving it one more night of testing.

EDIT: Alright, well that didn't take long. PBO and CO disabled.... still crashed. Same WHEA 18 error. I am completely out of ideas. Hope you guys can figure it out.... eventually.

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@authorized_to_ill I didn't mean to imply it's a conspiracy theory, just not to waste time assuming things that aren't definitely going to help.

Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) is over clocking, if your system is unstable then first bring it back to stock by disabling it. A lot of people confuse Precision Boost the normal CPU boosting with the Precision Boost Overdrive. PBO should be Auto by default which is off unless you have Ryzen Master installed from what I hear.

I can't reproduce the issue you have downloading from the Windows Store but my system might be more stable. I did have my first crash since replacing my CPU after copying over 100Gigs to my Gen 4 NVMe and then returning to idle, maybe data transfer can destabilise the system.

My PC then crashed a couple more times the next day. I haven't had it on since, until today, but I'm still trying to see if I can get it to crash again. If I could reproduce it realiably I would of been able to solve it several months ago.

Nobody who buys a PC should have to deal with this maybe it was too long since I last built an AMD PC and I missed something. Either way I'm determined to eventually get to the bottom of it.

For your RAM make sure you use the ram calculator for safe values otherwise it might become less stable lowering the frequency.

https://youtu.be/KOqhyVNPhaM

kodo28
Adept III

Jump to solution

@authorized_to_ill 

Was just giving my 2 cents explaining, how I fixed the issue and what was causing the Whea error even with PBO/CO to Auto on my side. I've since then not faced any crash anymore since 3 months with PBO and CO in Auto. Only CPB (default boost) is ON and it is running just fine.  Concerning the RAM, it shouldn't be the issue. I am running 3600Mhz CL14 64GB. 

The solution for me to avoid it to crash after setting it back it to Auto, was to clear CMOS or reinstall the bios firmware. Making sure that when going to PBO tab and when clicking on Advanced again the values shown, would be by default ones and not with values from previous settings that I've set which caused the crashes. 

I can reproduce this easily on my side. Turning ON PBO and setting higher CO then let windows idle or just watching Youtube video it will crash soon or later. Then I go back to bios set back PBO and CO to Auto it will keep crashing for the reason explained. Only when reinstalling bios or force a clear CMOS it will stop with Whea errors. 

Maybe on your case, then it is another root cause. 

Jump to solution

@Cmdr-ZiN   No worries. I didn't think you were implying anything, I just wanted to be clear about where my post was coming from.

As for PBO, I've left it on Auto and I crash. I disable it and I crash. I leave my bios on stock settings I simply crash. I don't see a solution to my particular issue so I am going the refund route. After a decade away I was looking forward to trying AMD again. Oh well.

@kodo28   I appreciate the suggestions either way. I'm glad you got yours figured. My issue could be the result of the specific combination of parts. I don't know.

0 Likes
ryzen_type_r
Elite

Jump to solution

@authorized_to_ill  You mentioned above you said you were running BiOS 3401.  According to ASUS's web site, they're already up to 3801.  Try updating your BIOS.

Never mind, saw a later post saying you updated to the latest one.

0 Likes
milmil
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

All I want to say is a big thank you to the people who mentioned the change of the Power Supply Idle Control in the BIOS, from Auto to Typical Current Idle.

I recently built a new system with the 5950x and it kept crashing randomly, I could hardly complete a Windows installation on the new system:

• AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X
  • 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Dominator Platinum RGB, PC4-25600 (3200), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16, XMP 2.0, 1.35V
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, AMD X570, AM4, DDR4,
  • 850W ASUS ROG STRIX 850G, Full Modular, 80PLUS Gold, SLI/CrossFire, Single Rail, 70A, 135mm Fan, PSU 70A0X

I tried the 3801, it made no difference…the only thing that made the difference was the PSU Idle control option.

Everything is new including the power supply, but it seems it could not deal with the low voltage. Now is there an issue with the motherboard, PSU or CPU around this problem? I have no idea... all I know is that since I made that change my system never crashed for this or any other reason.

Great system btw, although I lost come of my hair during the long installation night.

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@authorized_to_ill I can understand you wanting to return it, Intel has gotten better than when I bought AMD in November last year.

If you kept trying to solve it you could be doing so for several months and no closer to solving it like me.

I believe there's a solution, otherwise everyone would have this issue and all the news would know about it. I know many that are happy with their Ryzen systems.

I could return mine but curiosity won't let me, I want to get to the bottom of it.

Jump to solution

@Cmdr-ZiN  Good luck, man. Keep us posted. I may be moving way from AMD for the moment but I'm still going to keep my eye on this situation.

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

I updated to the latest BIOS for my ASUS B550M plus WiFi v2423 release on the 17th, it's patch C of the latest AGESA. It's already crashed, it appears far less stable.

I went out for 20mins after booting, came back everything was asleep but appeared to still be running I hit CTRL to wake the screen and it died the second I hit the button, a bit of a coincidence.

One thing I noticed, is my memory was at 2133Mhz not 3600Mhz in the BIOS even after applying DOCP. I thought this was weird, I usually check this stuff. I don't know if this was set right when I got my new CPU, I imagine I would of noticed then too however can't confirm.

I have an image from the 13th after it started crashing again, I didn't notice then but the image shows it was on 2133Mhz then.

My CPU was replaced around 21st of June, I don't think I have a record of the RAM Mhz from back then but I probably would of noticed if it wasn't set right.

I have an image showing it was correctly 3600Mhz on 1st of April with my old CPU. Not sure the BIOS version maybe 2006 back then.

Very strange, however on the bright side with it crashing so often I should be able to identify the cause easier.

0 Likes