cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@rumple I'm used to things running fine at stock settings and not having to tweak things unless I want to. Things should always run stock.

All the ram timings are stock, same as on the packet with DOCP on.

PB is on but PBO is off.

It also crashed a 2nd time yesterday that's 3 in total, I have no idea why it went from stable to unstable. The only thing that would of changed is automatic update things and I doubt that's it.

I'm tempted to buy another stick of ram or a PSU next however maybe it's the MOBO or Gen 4 NVME that's the problem. At first the new CPU was far more stable, It's weird. Maybe nothing can fix it.

Soulsa
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

I was getting the same errors and had always thought it was GPU problems until I came across a similar story to mine from black screen restart while watching Youtube....

I don't know if you have tried these settings as this is a now 85 page forum post but could be low load restart issue.

As quoted.....
1. Disable C-stage power
2. Set PCIE to 3.0
3. Power supply set to Typical Idle.
SOC and Vcore all auto, XMP enable at default for you ram, CPB and PBO enable.

I don't have PBO on though myself, the power ramp for the minor speed rewarded isn't worth the hassle imo

0 Likes
gontos
Adept I

Jump to solution

My solution was replacing the cpu, after that, no problems whatsoever...

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@Soulsa It's all been covered many times. It works for some, not everyone. However it's a work around not a fix.

Ryzen with infinity cache just can be unstable with various combination of components and narrowing them down is difficult because for most of the time it's stable.

I heard a story of 2 friends they built identical systems, one had the issue the other didn't. They swap CPU's with each other to see if the issue followed the CPU. However after they swapped CPU's, neither of them had the issue again.

I also heard Ryzen 3800X's had the issue and it was eventually fixed for most by a BIOS update.

For others it could be fixed by a CPU, GPU, PSU, MOBO or RAM swap, I've even heard of a sound card causing it.

I've thought I've had it fixed multiple times only to have it reappear months later. I still want to get to the bottom of it, however in all the systems I've ever owned, both AMD and Intel, I've never had an issue like this.

Soulsa
Adept I

Jump to solution

It sucks, I'm over the moon AMD are doing fairly well BUT whenever I have had Intel they always just worked....NVIDIA also.... My 5700xt has had DRIVER problems for over 6 months, AMD KNOW also and we bombard them about it all.

I can't help but think it's always the driver team letting down the products...

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@Soulsa they have a vastly smaller team so it's hard to compete but their software is maturing.

Infinity fabric is new tech, never really been done before on a home PC. Intel is getting into similar tech maybe things will be less stable these days.

Maybe they're just pushing it too far. Maybe they made an assumption about the combos of rigs people would make.

Without knowing the cause it would be hard to say. I do suspect it's a combination of issues though.

kneel420
Adept I

Jump to solution

So....

After all the hoop jumping.....  It looks like once I upgraded my BIOS for my Gigabyte X570 Aorus motherboard from F30 to F34, no more reboots and WHEA-Logger 18 errors.   Mostly this issue I think is a combination of hardware and firmware version incompatibility.  

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@kneel420 After replacing my CPU I couldn't reproduce the issue as much as tried. A couple of months later it returned. Everything was fully updated when I replaced the CPU a couple of months ago and because it was working I didn't change anything except auto updates in Windows.

My current BIOS is 2401 the lastest is 2420 - AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C this is a few revisions later, I'm gonna try it next and see if it helps too. It probably is a combination of few things for most people. Maybe the chipset driver changed and needs a BIOS update or something.

Maybe it's my RAM G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC, I could of sworn it was on the ASUS Mobo QVL before I bought it, but after noticing the MOBO wasn't on G.Skills QVL page, I  noticed on the ASUS MOBO page it was now only showing for the 3000 series. The MOBO is now back on the G.Skill QVL page, I was hoping this is because the latest BIOS. Still not on ASUS' page yet.

Anyway it's weird that RAM is going off and on the QVL lists.

kneel420
Adept I

Jump to solution

Yeah its definitely combinations of hardware and firmware version incompatibilities.   Really comes down to ensuring all your drivers are up to to date.  

My system is rock solid now and was about to replace the processor or worse. 

Would have found out sooner but Gigabyte's site was broken due to alleged ransomware attack so many of their files (bios, drivers) are 404ing still.  

Be careful with the advice online, just go through ALL your hardware make sure drivers updated it should solve any issues.  I thought I had done that but Gigabytes BIOS tool kept telling me it was updating the bios firmware but it wasn't, probably due to that issue.  I had to do it manually

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@kneel420 I've always kept my system fully upnto date, except for the time after I swapped my CPU. While testing my new CPU that was the only change I made, I ran the PC constantly for 17 days straight trying to make it fail and couldn't.

The issue returned a couple of months later however.

If this was just software related It would of been fixed the whole time during the 6 months I was trying to fix it.

The instabilities in Ryzen are just not acceptable.

0 Likes