cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ace50k
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

I managed to resolve the issue temporarily by adjusting all cores by +1 in the Curve Optimizer settings but shortly after upgrading to an RTX 3090 I was getting a different issue in certain games (mostly Control) where the screen went blank and the PC would not reboot (there was a constant white LED on the motherboard), requiring a full power-off.

It turns out the PSU was not able to handle the system properly as I swapped it out for an old 2008 (!) Corsair HX1000 I had in a spare PC and the system has been rock-solid since.  I've disabled PBO/Curve Optimizer for now and am running Cinebench's stability test as that used to cause WHEA errors/BSODs before.

koguma
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

I've had that black screen before with the Vega 56.  I thought it might be the PSU, but my PSU is 1kw.  It can handle pretty much anything AMD can throw at it.

ace50k
Adept II

Jump to solution

Agreed a 1kw supply should deal with pretty much anything.  Researching a few articles suggests that the previous PSU might have developed a fault or some of the protection measures might have become over-sensitive to sudden fluctations in power draw.

I've run the Cinebench stability test several times, and have been gaming for several hours and no signs of any instability nor any WHEA BSODs since changing the PSU.  I'll post again if this changes.

kneel420
Adept I

Jump to solution

I'd be surprised if it was anyones GPU as people with both AMD and Nvidia GPUs had this issue.  Also someone fixed it with a new PSU?   I am at a loss with these reboots and its pretty frustrating.  Going to try the curve thing, then will try to replace the 3080 TI (good luck, they prob wont find one) then will try to replace the CPU.  I honestly thought it was the gigabyute X570 Aorus Master motherboard but peoiple in threads saying they had it on multiple boards including MSI and Asus.  Others claimed they RMA'd their 5950X's with AMD 3x and all of them still had the issue.   Not sure which to believe anymore!  Meanwhiile my PC is liable to reboot at anytime and these sys crashes are NOT graceful.

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

My issue has returned.

No issues for a couple of months after replacing my 5800X with a new one.

However out of the blue it crashed again on the 8th and again on the 10th.

I'm a bit tired of this now, I've never had this much issue with a platform ever before.

PSU was fine in my old system that drew more power, however maybe the new system needs something more sensitive. However there's no recommendations or specifications saying so.

The issues is most likely something to do with the MOBO, CPU, Gen4 NVME or 3600 MHz ram which I got at the same time.

The ram is no longer on the QVL list so maybe that's it but I would not of thought that would cause power cuts. The PC power light and RGB remain on but everything else power cuts which is strange.

Strange how this issues seems to follow infinity fabric. It's just so hard to narrow down.

Maybe the issue is just super random and rare but affecting all infinity fabric systems to some degree.

C64
Adept I

Jump to solution

@kneel420 wrote:

I'd be surprised if it was anyones GPU as people with both AMD and Nvidia GPUs had this issue.  Also someone fixed it with a new PSU?  

It's any number of hardware faults that can cause this issue.  There's not a magic fix-all.  In my case, even though all of my windows dump files indicated an AMD issue, it was 100% the video card.  Even a bad PSU makes more sense to me than the bad GPU, but here we are.  I confirmed my card was bad in another rig after the crashing escalated, got the replacement, and I've been good ever since (knock on wood).

PS - And in my case, that was after getting baited into a 5900x warranty replacement by the event log / memory dump references to AMD.

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

My issue started when I still had a 780 GTX installed, I only started noticing it more after I installed the 6900XT. The first couple of times I noticed it I just passed it off as random when I had a 780 in the system. Back then when it happened the system would reboot and when I came back I didn't notice the issue as Windows was back one desktop. I've turned off auto rebooting.

Once I checked the event logs when I had the 6900XT I saw multiple events back to the day I installed the CPU, MOBO etc. There was nothing before then.

So in my case I don't think it's the GPU. I also don't get any dump logs, it's a hardware failure and it's unable to create a dump. At least none that I'm aware off.

koguma
Adept II

Jump to solution

I've been ok for nearing the past two weeks by setting my Ram speed down to 3333 via the "Try It" MSI bios option.   Most likely it's an issue of really tight timings and/or specific timings.   My ram's XMP was specifically for Intel (I bought Intel certified ram, not AMD) so XMP always fails.  That means I can't run my ram at the specified 3600 speed.  I should probably reach out to G.Skill and ask them about this...

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

I'd love to hear what they say. I checked the QVL before I bought but maybe I messed up and bought the wrong stick or maybe they removed them from the list.

Still you'd think it wouldn't be that difficult, a quality stick of ram should be on the QVL list.

rumple
Adept II

Jump to solution

Every timing has to be right in RAM for the system to work, and you can get WHEA errors from incorrect RAM parameters.  A lot of people probably haven't tried to set the timings to go along with their FCLK - specifically TwtrL might go from 8 to 9, and TWrwrScL & TrdrdScL might need to go from 3 to 4 or 5.  Might also increase Twr and TCWL by one. 

On top of this, if a a core's neighbor is boosting too much while a primary core is handling certain tasks, you can get a reboot during power state transitions to idle. Make sure in PBO2 you didn't put in a scalar over 2 or an undervolt too high on ANY core. Particularly a neighbor of a primary core.   Also check your VCCD and VIOD to make sure they are high enough to support the speed you run. But don't just increase voltages for VSOC, VIOD, VCCD VDDP without consideration for your system, and the voltages and temps on the CPU.  I think it's safe to run soc 1.19, vddp 1.05, vccd 1.14, viod 1.14,  

You might try to increase your cadbus ClkDrvStr from default (20 ohm) to about 30 ohms. 30 ohm seems to work better for voltages between 1.4 and 1.45, in my experience. Even 40 is fine if you run higher voltages on ram, like, over 1.45.  You'll get better timings and performance with a coorectly set ClkDrvStr and such. This and dual rank ram or more modules means you might also need higher ProcODT, slightly.  I can't say the dram Ryzen calc is perfect, I wish AMD would provide their own DRAM calc and core cycler benchmark/test suite... sigh

You want your cores running from 1.25v under thermal scenarios up to 1.425v under pbo max boost condition.  Generally anything that's a heavy load shouldn't push more than 1.375v sustained.  This info will help you use like, hwinfo or whatever to double check your procODT and stuff.