cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

j96j
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Yes, already tried Windows Update. Re-installed Windows and updated them too. Tried ALL BIOS versions. I troubleshooted with the CPU for 2 months, so I have tried almost all suggestions on all forums.

I'm pretty sure I have the lowest binned chip though, because even with PBO and CBP disabled, my pc still reboots.

Now my new 5800X is still running stable. Even with RAM's XMP enabled to 3600 mhz. Note the only part I swapped was the old 5800x to new 5800x.

0 Likes
root1308
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Last week I upgraded my system to Ryzen 9 5900X and a XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT, the Motherboard is still the same: MSI MPG 570 Gaming Plus. Unfortunately, I guess, there are some bugs with the hardware monitore software. Before I installed the new graphic cards, I replaces the CPU from Ryzen 7 2700X to 5900X and watched, what my system is doing... after a hour, clicking something in the Firefox browser, system is completely freezing. Via 7taskbar tweaker I set clock to showing the seconds at windows taskbar. Seconds are freezed to. Changed to the eventvwr, I saw critical messages Like kernel power and whea logger.

I thought, maybe something is wrong with windows or BIOS. So after install the the graphics card, I installed windows completely new and upated the UEFI/BIOS.

Actually I use AIDA64 with the sensor panel on a thirds little screen to monitor my hardware... After reinstall windows and restore my sensor panel via backup, everything works fine. But after a couple of hours, same problem with freezing system.

After than I decide to uninstall AIDA64 complete just for fun - no more issues from Thursday to Sunday.

Today (Sunday) I want to optimise and checking some temperatures on CPU, and decide to install HWinfo. No good idea. After installing and running the program, all was fine, but while I opening live monitoring, system crashed immediately with the famous symtoms.

Because of this reason, I point out, that something is going wrong with the hardware-monitor software... on both unindepented constellation with monitor software, my system crashes. And I suspect, it deals something with the hardware access from the software to the CPU sensors or something else.

For the next time, I won't use monitor software and hope, this will be solved in the next weeks via updates.

0 Likes
___jedi___
Adept I

Jump to solution

updated to 7C84v161(Beta version) wo my mobo

Description
- Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.1
- Improving Ryzen CPU performance

Reset BIOS to default settings, switched on XMA profile.

Still same crash - 5 minutes in Quake and WHEA-Logger ID 18:

"A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 9"

So no good news so far.
5900x | MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI | 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 | EVGA RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING | Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W
0 Likes
vishal9195
Adept I

Jump to solution

Update

Got a replacement for my 5600x and now its fixed.

flyxytk
Adept II

Jump to solution

@B_JuniorI have now reinstalled windows. The Ethernet was disconnected until I installed all necessary drivers, then connected my system to the internet. Now I'll test my pc and we'll see if the blackscreen of death whea error is gone.

0 Likes
Bobox
Adept I

Jump to solution
0 Likes
NanoExplorer
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hey Root1308!

Sorry you're experiencing these crashes. I'd say it's a glimmer of hope that it worked fine for a few days when aida and hwinfo were off. If you didn't already you might try uninstalling HWInfo and replacing it with the latest Beta version of HWInfo, since there was a bug in an older stable version of HWInfo that was triggering this error, and this problem is supposed to be fixed in the beta versions. (ref: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/is-hwinfo-causing-the-dreaded-whea-logger-event-id-xx-cache-hie... )

An update on my experience: it has now been 6 days since I received the warranty replacement CPU, and I have not had any crashes. I have done several of the activities that would have crashed my old CPU, so it's probably safe to say that there at least was a hardware defect in the old CPU

Raziels_Lament noted that their replacement 5900x was from batch BG 2104PGS and has worked fine. Just for completeness, my replacement 5900x was also from BG2104PGS. My old CPU was BG 2047PGS

marathonman
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I got one of the early CPUs BG 2946SUS and it was just evil - in my case it would crash randomly during games usually after 3--60 minutes or so.

I spent way too much money and time over a couple of months resisting the idea the CPU was defective:  new RAM, new PSU and about a million permutations of BIOS versions / settings, none of which made a difference.  The one thing that would stabilize the system was to disable core performance boost, but I couldn't live with that.

When I bit the bullet and finally RMA'ed the CPU, AMD were - to their credit - pretty efficient and sent a replacement within 2 weeks - maybe it was10 days.  The new one is BG 2103SUS and it works perfectly fine.

Looking back on it, I'd be less patient next time.  If you have an unstable 5000 series CPU from 2020, my recommendation would be to just send it back and be done with it

TVicars
Adept I

Jump to solution

I will add one more to the list on a 2 week old build of a 5600x

Mainboard: MSI x570 Tomahawk
Mainboard-BIOS: 7C84v161(Beta version) (Went to that from 7C84v15)
CPU: Ryzen 5600x
Cooler: Wraith Prism RGB (from a 3800X, but I don't have that CPU to test)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws - F4-3200C16-16GVK (2x16GB)
Drive: Boot M.2 XPG Gammix s50 Lite 1TB (also 2 SATA drives, and a WD Black M2 500GB)
Graphics: Gigabyte 1070GTX
PSU: Seasonic X-850
Chipset driver: 2.13.27.501 (Just went to this today as it was newer than MSI's version)

Disabled PCO,CBP, Disabled C-State switching, set power to typical voltage, swapped out: Ram (even tried different mem slots), M2 Boot Drive, Vid)

Ran Windows Driver Verifier (only once did it do a Memdump, and it was a WHEA error, the rest of the time it didn't even catch it)

All tests run stable AIDA64, MEMTEST, PRIME95, all run multiple times for multiple hours. Uninstalled AIDA64 to no effect (one thread said that was the issue)

Under stress testing didn't push more that 60c. (Good cooling, and ambient room temp is 16c)

Errors are:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date: 2021-03-07 8:17:58 PM
Event ID: 18
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Description:
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 9

Along with

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 2021-03-07 8:17:50 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Main
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

0 Likes
ivan-filippov
Adept III

Jump to solution

To anybody with crashes errors:

Try to run this script
https://www.overclock.net/threads/single-core-prime95-test-script-for-zen-3-curve-offset-tuning.1777...
on default CPU settings - if you get crashes to bsod\errors in console log - most probaly your CPU is not good enough on stock settings and requires additional voltage to work. 

Tags (1)
0 Likes