cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

schoolofmonkey
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@K0NG95 

I'm using all the same hardware besides the motherboard and CPU in the new Intel 10900k, guess what it all works perfectly.
The constant hard reboots an WHEA errors I was getting with the now returned 5900x system was a joke, it was run at stock, like you said you can't gimp a car just to say "look its workings" anymore then you can with a cpu running defaults.

Now @mackbolan777 not to point out you're tooting your own horn, but if you've sold "mostly AMD systems" over 22 years you've done your customers a huge disservice, there was a time you should never of touched a AMD CPU due to Intel being more value for the money with greater performance, it wasn't until Ryzen 2 (while Ryzen 1 was a good comeback) you should of even considered AMD again.
I'm impressed with what AMD are doing, currently there is something seriously wrong with these CPU, turning off key DEFAULT features are not a fix.
Look we're all in the same boat, but you trying to make out you're something better than reddit is stupid, I post on reddit, here's my credentials:
I'm Apple Certified (word for Apple themselves), started in the Umax clone days, full degree in electronics, started board level repairs on C64's at 15, I hold  MCSE, CISICO and REDHAT certifications, work in many different Apple/PC service centres along with data recovery, sold what was good for the customer, again there was a time you couldn't recommend AMD, they had nothing to match the Q6600 builds.
I personally had a Athlon 64 X2 4800+, that was my last AMD machine, it was a beast.

What I am trying to point out don't through your weight around by posting what you may know, using it to try and prove everyone else is stupider than you and don't know what they are doing.

This downtime AMD is causing for some costs them real money, or downtime for their work, 56 pages of the same problem posted by many different people does indicate a problem, whether it's CPU hardware or bios, (motherboards are ruled out due to all of use have different brands/types).
Glad yours is working for you, but many aren't like myself, I can't afford the downtime waiting for a "maybe" AMD work out a fix in the near future, Intel for myself has been rock solid for many years, both time using AMD (Had a 3900x on launch) have worked out buggy, not bad, but unreliable.

Just tired of seeing people blaming the end users when it's clearly not their faults.

Raziels_Lament
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Currently waiting for my replacement CPU to get to me. Supposedly it has been shipped. Checking back in on this forum after a few weeks and it is saddening to see that people are still struggling with these CPUs and even RMA one's as well. This doesn't give me much hope that my computer will be stable with a replacement CPU. AMD really needs to step up and publicly address the issues with this line of processors and give all its customers some answers about what they are going to do about it.

5900x | Asus TUF X570-PRO | 32GB GSkill DDR4 | EVGA 3090 FTW
B_Junior
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hey again, update from me..

Some content from my 1st post:

I got my CPU Ryzen 5900X about 1 month ago. At start I had default settings in bios, only XPM was enabled. I start noticing in first week that my PC is restarting after it was in save Power Mode. Event ID 18.

WHEA-Logger
Processor Apic ID :0 (this one always shows)
Processor Apic ID :11 or 18 or 24...this is diferrent

Crashes happen about once a day or maybe once on 2 days.

A week ago I set in Bios Undervolting with PBO disabled. Since then I had only 2 restarts, its better but not gone. Restarts happen when PC is idle longer time (2-5 hours maybe). Never happened when CPU was under load. Really strange...

And now some new info about my cpu.

I didn't get any new WHEA-Loggers  (happy about it), but I had 1 restart, it happened only once (5 days ago).

Error in logs: BugCheck 1001 event (The computer restarted after a serious error. Error Code was:0x000000a0...)

Maybe important: 2 days ago I decided to reinstall W10 (anyway I had to make an image, so why not :). Only difference from previous install was that I disconnect from internet when installing windows and after I install all required drivers, then I connected Pc to internet. 

First thing I noticed are better temps CPU in Balanced mode. Until now my temps started with 30 and after some load it spiked to 60-65 and then it stayed there even at idle. Which was very strange to me, since with Intel CPU this never happened to me before. When gaming cpu temps were beetwen 70-80. 

Now temps of CPU are moving beetwen 30 (idle), 40-60 (under small load), 60-70 (under load), at longer loads maybe peaks to 80, but goes quickly back to 70. Main thing is that after I stoped playing or doing havy stuff and went back to idle , CPU temps returns to 30 degrees.  I think this is big difference that could also have influence on whea events restarts... any thought from you guys about temps?

I tried CB23 on stock settings (undervolted and xpm enabled as i had it from the start):

MC score:21508,  SC score:1611,1631 . Dont know if this is good, since many guys uses different ver of CB, maybe some of you can tell me.

Picture about temps:info.PNG

Anthos
Adept II

Jump to solution

People need to stop directly comparing Intel and AMD cpus as if they are built the exact same way. Zen cpus are by DESIGN meant to run hot. Temps even up to 90-95C are considered within specs.

0 Likes
B_Junior
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hi Anthos,

I guess you didnt understand my comparison well. I am not trying and I didint want to compare temps on generally , how hot can be amd od intel cpu. 

I am saying that at idle cpu temps were to high. If you would read my post well, you would understand what i was trying to explain about my situation . As I see at the moment, my temps on idle are quite similar as were on other processors until now. Ofcourse there are differences beetwen processors. 

This thread is about Whea errors.. so my reply is related to this ,not comparising!  I am just trying to understand if temps can make difference...

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Jump to solution

@schoolofmonkey 

Fitting name btw. You respond like a troll and talking about "tooting your own horn", yours is super "tooted" with dinosaur degrees. This isn't an Apple forum and if you want to go there, Apple first stole the idea from the original inventor and gave him nothing in return. The original maker of Macintosh wanted to give the idea away for free, like Linux. Apple also used and now went back to using proprietary parts, so you can only get them from Apple or eBay for older stuff. Apple had plenty of problems as well, however with not many people able to afford one for the longest of times, their customer base was a million time smaller than Intel, AMD, or IBM. 

You say I did a disservice to my customers at a time when my customers couldn't afford an Intel and all of my new builds were in the AM3/AM3+ era where AMD did have something to compete against Intel with. A family member, also US Government contractor, had me build 3 AMD machines for "back up", they wound up using all 3 and closeting their Intel counterparts because they ran so well for 1/4 the cost of a Dell. They remained in service for 6 years until they were ready to sell the business. Also in this time frame I sold roughly 200 or so units with FX 6350's, 8150's, 8350's, and 8370's. 2 came back out of all, from the same customer that insisted on using a poor model MSI board simply because it had a serial port connection. I couldn't change his mind and he ran a commercial real-estate firm and a commercial farm with these. I did manage to get his to run properly in the end, with one board needing an RMA.

The Q6600 was before those and my FX 8150 beat the pants off my Q6600 when I built that in ~2009 and used it until 2018. I built an 8700K with an Nvidia MSI Duke 1080i and my both my 3600X and current 5600X build (same board) run total circles around that. Benchmarks have mine beating the latest Intel's until the multicore tests where some Intel's have a core advantage. AMD has a clear advantage, however, as I've said before I admit they are not for a normal user to slap together at this time.

With all this education, you never learned to spell either. You have more spelling mistakes than Sydney Powell. I'm not " through your weight around " or trying to prove anyone is stupid. In that sentence you imply that I am stupid as well. You are a troll. Accept that and move on to your Apple, Intel, whatever makes you happy.

FYI, people are on here for help, so that means they do not know it all. Some do not know what they are doing, like one posting to set your vcore to 1.375v and call it a day. That's beyond any Ryzen's FIT and one should not run at FIT 24/7 or over it, ever. Mine is set well below the FIT of 1.31v. My recommendations are for those that want to continue to push their CPU's or find basic stability rather than simply go run to Intel, spend ~$800-1000 to switch, if they reuse some parts and to have less performance.

The "key" defaults you refer to are things like PBO, which are flawed and the "curve optimizer" is a band aid for uneven core quality. Using the CPU's out of box defaults there shouldn't be any issue as there wasn't with my 5600X. They come with simple CPB enabled which gives the user the max advertised box speed, although AMD says not all will hit that exact number. Intel has the same language. 

The end user should never need to enable a thing that voids the warranty to attain the box advertised speed. I've never said to disable a regular out of box default unless the OP has done so already or is really bent on fixing the problem. Certain BIOS settings can eliminate the low power shutdown issue, not 100% of the time but those who are willing to try it might not need an RMA. With PBO the chip runs hotter, albeit slightly less power use, I have found it not worth my time on Zen 3. My results are proof that my concept works, you can look back at those results and compare your Intel to that.

56 pages of the same thing means there's a problem? Read all the posts, not everyone is posting the exact same thing, in fact they really ought to go by forum rules and make a new post. Easier to find and less confusing. This thread has nearly every CPU in it and a lot of off topic stuff. If you're worried about AMD's profit to loss ratio and downtime, etc. you should contact the AMD corporate office.

I haven't seen posts blaming end users for any AMD issues. If one builds their own PC and they set something wrong or whatever, corrections may be suggested. Most asking questions on here want to keep their product and then there the few that want to troll, degrade, insult, those that volunteer their free time to help others. Have a super Intel day!

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
flyxytk
Adept II

Jump to solution

@B_JuniorSo would you say reinstalling windows wihtout connecting to the internet and manually installing drivers helps? It would be great to know because im encountering the same issue with my 3600 and 5700XT. Did everything to fix the issue and reinstalling would be the only thing left before a RMA of the Hardware. I tried to fix the issue for 1 year(!) and no new driver helped.

0 Likes
Saaam-chan
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I did that a few weeks ago...

Reinstalled windows and everything and and and.... still getting those black screens..

5600x here.

Got newest drivers, newest BIOS

0 Likes
B_Junior
Adept I

Jump to solution

@flyxytk I dont think it helps with errors directly, but you can try it ofcourse, it cant be worse Also Windows will not only automatically detect the model of your CPU, but will also download and install the newest drivers for your CPU once you begin the update process, thats why I reinstall W10 once again without internet connection and install chipset driver before connecting to internet. I didnt actually investigate further...but my stability of cpu is better atm. Yesterday I run chess analysis for 4h and I use all cores, which means that processor was at 100% load all the time and I had no issues. I  still didn¸¸'t receive any restarts...I also found out what triggers higher temps of cpu in idle state. In my case this was software (G.SKILL Trident Z Lighting Control v1.00.22). After uninstalling it, my temps in idle are again very good. 

I still believe in most cases errors (restarts) are bios - driver related and in some small % are ofcourse reason bad chips.

I read some other forums on same topic and many said that after RMA and new processor still have crashes and whea events, so lets wait if AMD will say something about...!?

We are waiting...

0 Likes
NanoExplorer
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hey there,

I'd like to provide an update on my RMA. I have received a replacement CPU and installed it. I posted a while ago that I would see crashes most consistently (~every 10-15 minutes) when I ran a Unigine benchmark such as Heaven or Superposition. I started Superposition 45 minutes ago, and so far no crashes.

I'll post again once I have more data and certainty.

0 Likes