cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@crayraven hard to say what the error means, when the system fails it might spit out whatever it was working on at the time and that might not be the cause.

Have you tried the ram calculator to get safe timings?

Mine is still stable for some reason.

0 Likes
crayraven
Elite

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@Cmdr-ZiN 

I have, but it didn't work for me.

You could be right, but I've always been doing something when I get the whea 18 when my pc isn't idle. So why didn't I get a different bsod then? 

0 Likes
Optimalnz
Adept I

Jump to solution

I have been getting whea incorrectable error, yesterday I removed my ssd m.2 and installed clean window on a regular ssd no whea error for 24hrs, strange af, I had nearly orded my 10850k an tho il give it one last shot, I recommend trying a non m.2 ssd

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@crayraven I found it would mostly occur during idle for me but once or twice it occured during a game. It's pretty random.

I get very few WHEA errors now, I believe they mostly point to a GFX card error. However my previous GFX card was Nvidia and it gave a different generic windows GFX error. I my case it was something other than the GFX card causing that error. However a few DDU's later, some drive, chipset and BIOS updates and WHEA errors became pretty rare.

I don't get BSODs so it's hard to narrow down, that's why it seems like a power, mobo/ram or CPU issue. If you're getting real BSODs you might want to take a closer look are your GFX card.

I mostly check in event viewer after coming back up and look for even ID 6008, the error was more comon, every WHEA error also had a ID 6008 error too but not every 6008 error had WHEA errors. It would be nice to have a BSODs to go on, all I know is it's a hardware issue.

Yours seems very unstable I'm not sure what next to try, depends on what you've done previously.

@Optimalnz I've also wondered it was a NVME Gen4 issue, I've had the crash occurs a couple of times installing stuff and once after a 100 gig file transfer. I was wondering if it puts instability on the bus but not sure. I've had the crash occur outside Windows so I kind of haven't paid a lot of attention to this aspect now.

Let us know how you go it could take a 3 months to reoccur.

koguma
Adept II

Jump to solution

Little update... I'm trying the 2t with gear down mode disabled.  Switching to 2t, gear down mode is greyed out on 'Auto'.  I also disabled "power down mode'.  Bumped FCLK to 1833 and set uclk==fclk in the bios, and set delayed latency mode to 'msi' setting. Everything else is on 'Auto'.

My ram now seems to be running at around 1772 with matching uncore.  No WHEA errors so far.  I've been running ok for a few days now.  Keeping fingers crossed, because I can live with this ram speed.

FYI:

ZenTimings_Screenshot_27170110.4620878.png

schoolofmonkey
Adept I

Jump to solution

I've still been following this thread since having the same issue and ditching the 5900x for a 10900k in the hopes this maybe fixed so I could revisit a AMD setup.
What's concerning me the most is the issues are still there and AMD or any other media outlet have never addressed them publicly.

There's a clear ongoing issue that seems to be ignored.
My overpriced 5900x/Dark Hero ran perfectly for 2 weeks, then started to hard reboot on idle constantly with WHEA errors, no overclocking beside setting the 2x16GB 16-16-16-36 3600Mhz ram's speed, but even running it at stock wouldn't stop the problem.

For someone looking to just run the CPU pretty much stock out of the box with no issues, this is really bad and I hope the next gen Ryzen doesn't have this problem because when they work they are impressive CPU's.

koguma
Adept II

Jump to solution

Have some new info I want to share.   Was running ok at the previous sub-optimal speed using the G.Skill F4-3600C17-8GTZR.   But I ran out of ram, so decided to upgrade.

I bought 4 sticks of Kingston HyperX HX432C16FB3/32.  It was pretty cheap, and had "AMD Ready" on it.  Cleared the cmos, plopped them in, booted into the bios, enabled XMP-1 (3200) and away it went without a hitch.  After about a day, I decided to test my luck.  Used the Try-It! and went up to 3600.  Running like that the past few days with zero problems, all settings on auto.

I feel like I could push it even more, but I'm happy as-is and I'd rather have stability.   So imho it's definitely a ram compatibility issue.  With the G.Skill, I couldn't push it to even XMP ratings.   After some Googling, it seems the Kingston ram is Hynix c-die, and people have been overclocking the crap out of them.

Of note, the G.Skill ram had a JDEC setting of 1000Mhz, while the Kingston is 1200.  That tells me that at least, the ram is definitely of a better quality on the Kingston:

koguma_1-1631374584772.png

koguma_0-1631374353073.png

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@koguma cool that's good to hear I hope it stays fixed for you.

I still think there's a combo of issues but RAM instability seems to be a big factor. A lot of people struggle to get speeds higher than 3200Mhz and I was feeling the 'AMD ready' RAM might be the safer option.

For myself though with my first CPU lowering the RAM speeds made no difference, however this was on much earlier BIOSes and drivers. My RAM wasn't marked AMD ready but was on the QVL but then removed for the 5000 series by ASUS but then added later by G.Skill on their site, so definitely questionable ram.

My 3rd CPU crashed twice when I first installed it, However since another round of updates I think the August ones for BIOS and chipset I have only had one crash. I think that crash was a bit different and maybe was a software issue.

I'm now unable to reproduce any instability. According to CTR 2.1 I have a Golden Sample CPU, I don't know if I believe that but I do think some CPUs can handle a greater range of memory than others.

If this issue returns I think my next step will be to get some 3200Mhz AMD Ready RAM, but it looks like for now my current CPU is happy with my original RAM. It really might of been only my first CPU with the instability issue, my 2nd CPU got unstable after something died inside. Since then I've been checking every crash, when if it was a brand new build I wouldn't of care until it happened more.

Good luck.

0 Likes
kneel420
Adept I

Jump to solution

Stayed fixed for me too -- I've been running for almost 2 months now rock-solid and completely stable. No more WHEA logger errors.  Hope everyone else finds a similar resolution.

Notable from my solution was a BIOS update which seemed to set my Gskillz Tridentz memory timings at 1333mhz as opposed to the 3200mhz which they are labeled as

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@kneel420 that is interesting, it really is starting to look like a RAM/CPU combo.

The lowest mine went was 2133Mhz, this I think is stock on a 5800X. A different CPU might be lower. I wonder if I lowered my RAM more back then if it would of helped.

If this setting is below default spec then you probably are entitled to replace the CPU if that's the part holding you back.

You could try CTR 2.1 and hit diagnose, it'll tell you the quality of your CPU, but don't know how accurate it is, it's more how good your chip is for overclocking or undervolting. Also it may not tell you how good the memory controller on the CPU package is. However maybe worth a shot if you're curious.

It looks like the fix might be higher quality CPU and RAM, and a good test would be to keep lowering the RAM speed until it's stable. As well as the usual BIOS and chipset updates, I'm sure they help. I'd love to see if this helps others too.

Anyway if you're happy with it then I hope it stays stable for many years for you

0 Likes