cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@Hurt not my guide it was AMD's although similar to what I had done. If you've done all that and it's still not working, then you have a hardware fault that not fixed by any BIOS or drivers yet.

(Definitely try the beta BIOS and reseat the parts)

Time to isolate which part is the issue by swapping them out and testing and get it replaced.

FirefoxNS
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Buenas, otra ves de nuevo.

Después de la ultima actualización de Windows 10 la 20H2 volví a tener los Whea Logger Event 19, después de esperar varios meses con los 'Whea' actualice a la segunda beta: AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch A aun así los WHEA no desaparecieron.

Revise algunos foros sugiriendo lo mismo de siempre, pero encontré algunos comentarios a decían subir el voltaje del CPU otros el CPU y SOC. Por desconocimiento no lo hice antes con la BIOS estable.
Así que subí el voltaje a +1, es decir:

- SOC: 1.025v, porque se aumenta en 0.0625 creo.

- CPU: 1.025v, porque se aumenta en 0.0625 creo.

- La RAM la modifique a 3000 MHZ(no esta demás decir que hice eso primero, pero seguía igual) al voltaje a: 1.25v

Antes de esto todo a fabrica, salvo la virtualizacion y para los discos 'no RAID'.

Reinicie y dejaron de mostrarse los whea-Logger, hasta ahora todo bien.

Mi PC

Tarjeta Madre: Asus TUF B550M - PLUS

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X

RAM: 16 GB 3200 Mhz Corsair Vengance

GPU: Nvidia GT 730

PSU o Fuente de Poder: 600 Watts

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@FirefoxNS I'm not raising my voltages, if it doesn't run stock I'm replacing something. Sure I could make more stable but maybe not perfectly stable, but I'd rather fix the dodgy part than reduce the life of a product unneccessarily.

It's quite probable your issue may return, it's become more stable with BIOS updates but still occurs for me. I guess if I had a more stable chip it probably wouldn't occur at all, some people have far less stable chips than me. Assuming it's the CPU and not something else.

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

I replaced my 5800X with a new one. I ran it for 17 days straight without any other changes from before. I had no issues during this time when before it would always show issues within 3 to 7 days.

I have also noticed my 3600Mhz memory has been taken off the QVL list. So a possible contributing factor.

I'm going to call my issue solved with a CPU replacement. If the issue does somehow return I'll definitely let you guys know in this thread but I think it's very unlikely I'll see this error again.

0 Likes
C64
Adept I

Jump to solution

@Cmdr-ZiN wrote:

I replaced my 5800X with a new one. I ran it for 17 days straight without any other changes from before. I had no issues during this time when before it would always show issues within 3 to 7 days.

I have also noticed my 3600Mhz memory has been taken off the QVL list. So a possible contributing factor.

I'm going to call my issue solved with a CPU replacement. If the issue does somehow return I'll definitely let you guys know in this thread but I think it's very unlikely I'll see this error again.

I was in the same boat, replaced the CPU, and it was good... For about 3-4 weeks.  Then it started doing the same thing again (WHEA errors).  A few days after that, my 3080 died.  So... It's very likely it was the GPU all along even though the WHEA error indicates CPU.  The chances of getting 2 bum CPUs seems fairly low.  I'm waiting on a warranty replacement for the GPU and we'll see what happens from there.

If I still end up with problems, then it's likely the MOBO or PSU frying stuff, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there I guess.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I'm really not convinced that this would have anything to do with PSU, Mobo, or GPU. 

We all have different hardware but the thing we all have in common is new gen Ryzen CPU. 

Either manufacturers weren't able to properly configure their hardware to match AMD CPUs requirements, or the CPU just fails to be stable when boosted, which it is by default.

Ultimately, both options point to the CPU being too wild, unpredictable, and unstable in most setups. 

Basically, AMD is to blame for these issues as they probably tried way too hard to create an overclocked CPU that is unstable by default and it would be up to the others to adapt their hardware to make up for the instability... Which is nonsense.

Ive posted over 2 months ago about my issue and haven't had any BSOD ever since I disabled CPB & PBO. Clearly the CPU is unable to handle the boost and no manufacturers in their right mind would try and adapt their hardware to this instability. 

AMD tried way too hard to release a very performant CPU but it basically became a custom built "engine". 

We can try replacing every **bleep** parts in our PC to try to fix the issue, but in most cases I doubt anything can be done except get a different CPU or hope that a replacement Ryzen will be more stable. 

Big **bleep**in welp

0 Likes
C64
Adept I

Jump to solution

I was running stable for about 3 weeks on a replacement 5900x before getting WHEA errors again.  Then I was stable for about another week after disabling CPB & PBO.  But then the GPU starting turning itself off as soon as it had to render any 3D engines (DWM errors).  Confirmed that the card was dead by running it in my old reliable i7 system. 

I've read that a faulty GPU can give these same WHEA errors, but who knows.  You may be right as well.  At this point, I'm questioning every piece of this build.  I've never had this many issues before.

0 Likes
TrapoSAMA
Adept II

Jump to solution

HI!

faulty GPU can give these same WHEA errors, i replace a 5600XT for a 6700XT and dont have any whea and reboot after that.

5600XT testing in other system have the same error, reboot and black screen.

0 Likes
m0haz
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I don't believe the CPU to necessarily be the issue here.  In some cases it may be, but I believe it's more of a motherboard/bios/AGESA issue.  If I set my LLC to max on auto voltage or if I use a LLC that keeps my voltage steady or greater, I do not see these issues.  I've seen several people saying that setting their LLC higher fixed their issues as well.  My BIOS settings have had to change with each new AGESA release as well, making me feel stronger that this is the case.  5900x user here btw.  

If I set all of my settings to auto and enable PBO in any form or fashion, I will get this error within an hour of using my PC in anyway.  Sometimes it looks like the voltage dips too low and the CPU will error, while others it looks like a short boost will  make it error.  The boost happens before the voltage can adjust on auto settings and it errors out because the voltage is too high.  If I set my voltage to override + offset 1.35v offset -.1125 with LLC @ max and PBO settings @max, my CPU sits at around 1.26v Constant, boosts to 4.55ghz +, and never ever errors.  If I set everything to auto, enable PBO in any way, i get the errors.  I would recommend playing around with your LLC and/or voltage to find a nice low voltage, that is stable, and does not droop much if at all.  I bet  most peoples issues will be solved.  The ones this does not work for probably have another issue such as some kind of bad hardware or settings. Could be the CPU, RAM, or some other vital piece of hardware...Chipset or chipset voltages as well, RAM timings...all sorts of possible issues here.  Sometimes even stock timings, especially if XMP is enabled, can be very wrong and make your system completely unstable.  

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

Go back an read what I've previously written if you want more info on my case. I've been troubleshooting this for over 6 months. It does the same thing on a Nvidia 780 GTX, I've ruled out everything but the CPU, MOBO and RAM combination.

I agree it's probably LLC related and it has improved a lot with the BIOS update releases but it was never solved until I replaced the CPU.

As for the issue returning possibly in the future, I ran it straight for 17 days, I've always been able to reproduce the issue in 3 to 7 days in the past. However when not running my old CPU straight it would take few months to reproduce, I'm going back to typical use now and I don't expect I'll see the issue again.

I can also see it tends to load the cores differently, more evenly, It used not touch some cores for the most part. This more a gut feel than any impirical data but the new CPU seems better.

My current 5800X was made in Malaysia the original was made in China. While I could of tweaked my MOBO settings, my old CPU was never 100% stable at stock settings. Bad batches can happen, also I'm sure in a system with slower ram or less PCI Gen 4 components it might put less risk of instability on the CPU. I'd say many people would be unaffected by these issues, but for me the only solution was to swap out the CPU for a more stable one.

BTW the same thing happened for Ryzen 3000 owners and eventually was fixed with BIOS patches but many fixed with CPU replacements.

This is just what happens sometimes when you're an early adopter.

0 Likes