cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

C64
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Never mind, I found it:  "AMD CBS" - Not sure how I missed opening that menu, but none of it comes up with the bios search function either.  Weird, but found it either way.

BNITRO
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

I would check the motherboard, I love MSI dont get me wrong, but I have a B450 that could of died because the VRM heatsinks were loose...

MSI B550 Nitro owner.

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

Mine died again after a week running AGESA 1.2.0.3a. Yeah it's far more stable than in the past but it's still not stable.

0 Likes
Hurt
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hi there!

I have a similar problem with "Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi" and Ryzen 5 5600X:

PC is running fine for many hours, even with "heavy" games, except:

* Can't start Elite Dangerous
* Can't start Star Citizen
* DISK WRITE ERROR in Steam
* INVALID DEPOT CONFIGURATION error in Steam
* Unable to extract 7z files with password (with 7zip)

All issues are suddenly gone when I disable Core Performance Boost (CPB) in my BIOS settings ...

But CPU stays at 3.7GHz then of course.

Playing around with enabled CPB, but disabled PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) didn't help either.

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@Hurt check page 68, I posted some basic troubleshooting from AMD. I'd already done most of it myself but it was written up better than I would write it. It's a good place to start but it didn't fix it for me.

If that doesn't work then you're looking at a hardware issue or a BIOS or driver fix that doesn't exist yet.

You'll then need to swap out your hardware and test it separate to determine the cause. If you can reproduce the issue quickly it shouldn't take long to narrow it down.

0 Likes
Fastbreak
Adept I

Jump to solution

Already written in another topic about my issue but no one responded, and in the meantime i have further updates that could provide useful information for the community so im typing here as well. Last week I'have experienced random reboots triggered by Whea LOGGER 18 error as well (preceded by a whea logger 19 warning, corrected hw error).
I remember  I first got this error when I changed CPU, I had a R5 3600 and got a 5600X. After disabling PBO and set manual cpu multiplier at stock boost frequency and auto voltages my cpu ran fine (not exceeding 1,28V) for some months, even when i changed GPU (from a 5700xt to a 6700xt) and PSU (from a Corsair 600W 80+bronze to a full modular seasonic fx 750W).  So when new gpu driver released 21.5.2 i installed it and one day the PC fell into the windows auto repair loop. After restoring my system I only lost programs on C that I quickly reinstalled and everything seemed to run pretty fine, i did the same for the bios settings (including ram and cpu ones). After some days I had again whea logger 18 crashes preceded by whea  19 warnings (with the same RAM + CPU config that was running fine before windows restoring). Reading ALL of the comments onreddit and on this forum I did the following:

-Uninstalled and reinstalled latest Chipset drivers

-Updated graphic drivers

-Undervolted GPU

-Uninstalled Soundblaster drivers (i hear a crackling sound in my headphone sometimes when the system is about to randomly reboot)

-Uninstalled Afterburner, Hwinfo and rivaturner (noticed sometimes crashed when i tried to launch these programs while gaming)

-Changed Windows power plan

-Tried again PBO with curve optimizer negative 20.

-disabled spread spectrum feature in BIOS

-ehanced memory and cpu voltage by few mV

-Set typical current idle in BIOS

-Disabled Resize Bar and above 4g decoding (SAM )

-Set PCI_E to gen3

I still had WHEAs  warning and then whea 18 restarting pc. 

So I turned PBO OFF again and (this one thing had some impact) change RAM settings. Were running 3800 mhz CL16 FCLK 1800 now 3733Mhz with the same timings (even subtimings) and same voltages. 

WHAT HAPPENED IS , whea 19 warnings COMPLETELY disappeared but now i still have whea 18 coming randomly and causing pc to restart. 

At this moment the only things left to do are  disable  CPB (now on Auto) and maybe another windows clean install.  Maybe iI can also change a CPU power cable on the mobo in the process (just to be sure).

I  really don't know what else to do at this time.

Any help?

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

@Fastbreak I saw your response before in a previous thread. Same advice as above.

I gave my CPU back to the store today, the person I spoke to thought they knew a lot more than they did. Wrote down eveything I said completely opposite. Thought I was completely daft for saying it happens more at idle. Well I hope they still manage to reproduce it.

Anyway this is probably the most difficult issue I've had to narrow down in over 20 years. Mainly because It got a far more stable after a BIOS update and became hard to reproduce. If you can reproduce it then just have to swap each piece of hardware out one at a time and test it. It's likely the CPU but it could be several other things.

Fastbreak
Adept I

Jump to solution

What's strange is.... The same Gpu-Cpu-Ram-Bios-Chipset/graphics driver settings that gave me stability for MONTHS reproduce this error after i restored windows 10 (had to do that because of the autorepair loop that i wasnt able to fix with troubleshooting and command prompt). Was thinking about getting new CPU and new MOBO. I am sure that my CPU and my MOBO would work fine in another build :D. it's just that i am so f**king unlucky

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Jump to solution

Back up your OS with Macrium Reflect or somwthing or just use a spare drive and try a fresh install of Windows.

I found it seems more unstable when Windows has updates available. However I was getting the issue even when I wasn't in Windows.

I found the issue was so random, I didn't see it for a few months so you just might not of encountered it for a while.

0 Likes
Hurt
Adept I

Jump to solution

@Cmdr-ZiN 

About your guide from page 68:

* Update the system BIOS to latest version available from motherboard manufacturer (refer to motherboard user manual for instructions on updating the BIOS).
-> Already done before (latest non-beta BIOS)

* Set the BIOS to use factory default settings / optimized default settings (refer to motherboard user manual for instructions on restoring BIOS default settings).
-> Already done before (amongst trying other settings)

* In the BIOS, locate the Power Supply Idle Control option and set it to Typical (this option should be available in the Advanced section of the BIOS).
-> Not done before, set it to that value now.

* Update Windows to the latest version and build via Windows Update. For instructions, refer to article.
-> Already done before

* Update to latest chipset driver from AMD. For instructions, refer to article.
-> Already done before

* In Windows Control Panel, select Power Options and choose the Balanced (recommended) power plan. In Windows Settings, select Power & sleep and set the Performance and Energy slider to the middle.
-> Not done before, set it to that value now.

* Disable non-Microsoft services and startup items using the System Configuration Tool.
-> Already done before ("Clean Boot")

* Reseat CPU, RAM, and all PSU power connections (end-to-end for modular PSUs). For more instructions, refer the product’s user manual.
-> Not done so far

* Verify RAM sticks are installed in the correct DIMM slots (for socket AM4 motherboards with 4 DIMM slots, use A2 & B2).
-> Already done before

Issues stay the same - only when I disable CPB, everything works fine.

0 Likes