cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

CrispyCrunch
Adept II

Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-Power

Mainboard: MSI x570 Unify
Mainboard-BIOS: 7C35vA82 (Beta version)
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
RAM: Crucial Ballistix BL2K32G36C16U4B 3600 MHz, 64GB (32GB x2)
Drive: M.2 Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB SSD
Graphics: SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
PSU: be quiet straight power 11 750w Platinum
Chipset driver: 2.9.28.509 (released 2020-11-09)

I first assembled the PC with a Ryzen 3800x a week ago because it was unclear if and when I would get the Ryzen 5900x I ordered. Worked with the included AMD Prism Wrath CPU cooler for one week without any problems.

- Today I installed a Ryzen 5900x and a Scythe Fuma 2 CPU cooler.
- After 20 min the first crash/restart with the following entries in the Event Viewer: WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-Power ID 41.
- Happens irregularly again and again, sometimes after minutes, sometimes longer: Windows freezes for a few seconds and then the PC reboots. Doesn't matter if load or not.
- CPU temperature between 30 and 40 °C
- Updated to BIOS and chipset driver mentioned above: Problem still exists
- XMP Profile disabled (RAM on 2600 MHz): problem still exists
- CMOS Reset: Problem still exists

Either there is a compatibility problem of something with the CPU, or the CPU is defective?
What to do? Really frustrating.

2 Solutions

Im having a similar issue, x570 aorus and 5600x. Have same errors on windows. 

Disable CBP and PBO and run it at default settings (3.7 ghz and xmp on). That works for me. 

View solution in original post

I got a new angle on this. So deactivating PBO and CBS definetely works, PC was running stable for a week now. But you'll loose performance.

So I wrote to the MSI support and the AMD support.

MSI suggested to try increasing the DRAM Voltage by 0.05 V, which I did. System seems to be stable, no crashes so far - neither in idle or while gaming.

View solution in original post

947 Replies

Update

Got a replacement for my 5600x and now its fixed.

Or.... just learn more about how it works properly... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU5qLJqTSAc

also from GN https://youtu.be/B7NzNi1xX_4

PBO is overclocking.

PB2 is Precision Boost and is stock boost behaviour, not to be confused with PBO.

Precision Boost should work. This ain't the thread for overclocking, this is about getting your machine running stock or RMA'ing. I'm sure there's better forums for overclocking and undervolting.

Mine just crashed again today, Typical idle control solved it for a while, today was very cold I don't know if that was a factor but I hadn't left it on idle for a while either since the initial week troubleshooting.

Looks like RMA is likely for me too, I'll contact AMD again.

Of course, Im aware.

PBO have not been working for the majority of people in this thread including me.

However I have an update finally on this matter.

I tried a beta bios version that seems to have updated the algorithm on PBO idle power saving that causes crashes for people. This is what everyone been waiting for, and for me it seems to work actually.

Finally with same settings like I did before on latest stable bios version things always crashed just as for anyone else.

So latest bios stable that majority uses for instance crosshair viii hero is 3402 using AGESA V2 1.2.0.1 A Crashing nonstop no matter what setting using PBO enabled.

I found out there is a beta version thats been in beta since 04/08 which uses AGESA 1.2.0.2 and this one works for me. Finally I can enable PBO and havnt crashed since, 3 days of full testing gaming and doing idle.

I urge anyone with similar problem to use this AGESA version as it did solve everything for me, I hope I dont jinx it, but really it went from crashing 1min to 4 hours constantly. To not a single one even with XMP settings and negative pbo curves.

Finally can make use of the settings it was promoted for.

Anyone else that can try this out by using this AGESA version that crashed before to confirm if you have the same case?

@Deocrone there is some risk with Loadline calibration if you go too far but it's probably fine but you do want to double check it, so you don't kill the cpu.

@Henrik2k thanks for that, I only just realised I wasn't actually on that BIOS yet, I am still on 1.2.0.1 I got mixed up with the release dates. I'll update and see how I go.

however it's pretty far between issues since setting to typical idle. I updated to 1.2.0.1 before setting it to power supply typical idle, it did make it more stable went from occurring once or twice most days to once or twice a week. With Typical idle and not a lot of use it was months until I had issue again.

I was waiting for this BIOS too and just completely missed it

0 Likes

Well there is a bios version F33H.. (instead of the F32 i'm at now). That has AGESA 1.2.0.2.

So after reading:

So latest bios stable ...... using AGESA V2 1.2.0.1 A Crashing nonstop no matter what setting using PBO enabled. I found out there is a beta version thats been in beta since 04/08 which uses AGESA 1.2.0.2 and this one works for me. Finally I can enable PBO and havnt crashed since, 3 days of full testing gaming and doing idle. I urge anyone with similar problem to use this AGESA version as it did solve everything for me.

So here goes nothing,.. F33H installed.. just went to dinner (with V-core loadline on auto)... Hasn't crashed for an hour now. Will leave on tonight and see if it can go without crashing.

@Deocrone  that's cool to hear, although keep and eye on it, It might return.

I'll be trying it today but I haven't been able to reproduce it happening for 3 days at idle with my current settings. Last time I tested for over a week in March with no occurance but the issue still occurred again recently once, might be hard to confirm gone but I'll set typical idle control back to Auto and see if that helps it occur more often, everything else default plus DOCP enabled.

Edit: Scratch that I have been able to reproduce after 3 days, it had the power light on this morning no fans spinning or display output, needed a power drain to post.

Edit2: Scratch that, no longer posting. no time to. look at it now. I think it's completely dead.

0 Likes

Got it running again. I suspect BIOS had reverted to stock and my CPU was no longer supported. Flashed current BIOS back tested ok, then updated to TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) BIOS 2201 beta which is AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.2, we'll see how that goes.

0 Likes

Ever since I deactivated PBO / CPB, I ran into 0 problems and everything is stable with amazingly low temperature. 

TBH I am considering keeping things this way as: 

1) I have no use for any faster CPU / boost. 
2) Considering that these CPUs run quite hot overall on stock settings (boosted), I think that having it boosted at all time might be detrimental to the CPU / silicon in the long run. I want to keep this CPU for 8-10 years and I doubt it would ever be able to achieve that with stock settings and high temps. 

Of course, I now somewhat regret not going with something a bit cheaper, but there is still the RMA option down the road if I ever feel like it. 

Bottom line: lesson learned. No need to go with AMD's latest crazy tech... even though they claim it beats intel in term of performance, the hassle of making it work is just not worth it and we all ended up with subpar quality CPUs due to (most likely) a lack of QA. 

0 Likes

Hello folks!!!

today replace finally the GPU from 5600XT to 6700XT and problem resolv for me. All parameters in the bios are in stock mode. Now need check the old GPU if is ok then sell and done.

@TrapoSAMA it could be your GPU, I do doubt it though, I got graphics errors with my old graphics card too just because the system was crashing at the time. I also got event ID 6008 without any graphics error at all.

Give a bit of time see how you go, good luck.

0 Likes

Hi!

In others post i can see the same problem but if replace GPU the problem gone. In my case replace Mobo, PSU, CPU, check ram with stock and XMP. Finally replace GPU, i need test the old GPU in other system but is possible work fine.

In the event viewer you can see the same error.

I request support to old mobo and gpu, both tellme send to RMA lol

now the question why?

0 Likes

@TrapoSAMA yeah it's hard to narrow down, it could be anything. Without a error message pointing to what the issue is it could be any critical hardware causing the failure. It could also be software triggering the hardware issue.

Make sure you're searching for event id 6008 because that will show any time Windows didn't shut down correctly. WHEA errors will only occur if you have an AMD graphics card, when I had Nvidia cards I got a generic Windows graphics driver error. I don't always get graphics errors though, just everything is failing and sometimes you get reports from different components, may not neccessarily be the cause.

The only way to identify the issue is to rule out things one at a time, by either taking it out and putting it in a known good system or replacing it with a known good part into your PC.

Most manufacturers will RMA not knowing if the issue is theirs or not, they might return the part back to you if they can't confirm the issue, but if they're not sure they'll usually replace it. Could also be a combination of parts that don't work well together and any one of them might work fine on their own.

I'm also looking into a Chrome issue and possible paging file error as it's only occurred when Chrome was open but then that's probably just coincidence. It has been getting more stable with each BIOS update it feels, I've not been able to reproduce since last BIOS update so I've opened more Chrome tabs

0 Likes

In the end, I have stayed with BIOS 3001 (AGESA 1.1.8.0) with my X570-F as I've had no WHEA errors running for the last 3 weeks whether office-work or playing games.  Anything AGESA 1.2.0.x does not seem to play nicely with my 5950X and luckily, I don't seem to suffer the USB issues that AGESA 1.2.0.2 is meant to resolve.

Well I was stable for 6 days nothing I did could make it crash after updating to AGESA 1.2.0.2 on the 27th.

Today it power cut over and over again today about 10 times in a row. Couldn't keep it on for more than 30 second to a few mins. I pulled out my network cable and I was able to boot for longer. Plugged back in the nextwork cable, seems stable again, restarted, razer updates managed to complete this time computer wasn't power cutting.

Still no idea what's causing it, if removing the network cable was just a coincedence.

I feel like if it was the CPU it would be more consitantly reproducible.

0 Likes

Just coming to this thread to say that I'm getting full power downs with a similar setup. I've not seen this WHEA-Logger ID 18, but I may have been looking in the wrong place.

I've been joining in on this thread over here:

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/6900xt-causing-pc-to-reboot-while-gaming/m-p/475269#M76837

I can't help but feel like there's a common thing for all these power issues that is being missed by us all ... but I've not a clue what it could be.

Here's my setup:

• OS - Tried old and new builds of Win 10 Pro
  • OS DRIVE - SATA 6 SSD
  • GAME DRIVE - SATA 6 SSD
  • MB - Asus Rog Strix x570-E Gaming
  • MEM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • GPU - AMD RX 6900XT (Powercolor OEM)
  • PSU - Corsair HX1000W
  • MON 1 - Benq 60Hz 1440p Display Port
  • MON 2 - AV Amp for surround (tried various resolutions)
  • GAMES -
    • 3dMark (Time Spy) - Pretty sure forced 4K render on 1440p monitor - DX12
      Happens just after the large giant walks past the hole in the wall.
    • Total War: Warhammer II - 1440p - DX12
      Post seige battle (with Grom) causes crash, but the stress test skaven benchmark doesn't.

I haven't tried any BIOS updates, as the board (sent as part of a bundle from Scan in the UK) was said to have the latest BIOS installed, plus they test the bundle before sending out.

@eliotcole the power cut was causing the WHEA errors in my case. I noticed when I installed my 6900 XT but I also got event ID 6008 at the same time. 6008 is Windows not shutting down correctly due to crash or power failure.

I tracked back the 6008 error to the day I installed the B550 MOBO and 5800X, I got a generic Windows graphics error instead of the WHEA error then as I had an Nvidia card installed at the time.

There can be many causes for a sudden power cut, I've not narrowed mine down yet, it's hard to reproduce for me. I've seen some people replace their CPU and it fixes the issue and others it hasn't. I've seen many people find a fix in settings but then come back weeks later when the issue occurred again.

I feel there's something common here but not all of us might be affected by that.

Be careful while troubleshooting one of my HDDs died today after a power cut. I don't know if I need to worry about other components.

That's a good point, actually ... I've been completely ignoring my spinner HDD in the case. I'll disconnect it for the meantime, as I wouldn't want to damage it.

For me, I've found that the 3dMark Time Spy benchmark is the easiest replication of the fault (see previous post). I'm pretty sure I ran it rendered at 4K but in 1440p resolution, and in DX12. If anyone in this thread can replicate that (with similar setups) I'd be curious as to the results.

I haven't tried the BIOS, mostly because I'm still within the "returns window" of receiving both the card AND the bundle from Scan, and I'd really like any finalised fixes to kind of be from them. Whether we come to the same one here, or not, would be cool, though.

I mean ... if they do find that the BIOS update fixes it, and post here, that would put some rather nice good will toward Scan computers as a somewhat official body that sort it out before AMD does.

---

FWIW - I'm not a scream and shout kind of guy, I just need to get things fixed, as is my history in tech support (not this kind), it's almost second nature, and the ruination of any relationships I have. But, yeah, screaming and shouting at AMD isn't going to help me, however a bit of transparency, or even just a tiny bit of open chat (beyond the usual helpdesky responses) in these forums would be cool. We know you're people, too, folks.

@Cmdr-ZiN wrote:

@eliotcole the power cut was causing the WHEA errors in my case. I noticed when I installed my 6900 XT but I also got event ID 6008 at the same time. 6008 is Windows not shutting down correctly due to crash or power failure.

I tracked back the 6008 error to the day I installed the B550 MOBO and 5800X, I got a generic Windows graphics error instead of the WHEA error then as I had an Nvidia card installed at the time.

There can be many causes for a sudden power cut, I've not narrowed mine down yet, it's hard to reproduce for me. I've seen some people replace their CPU and it fixes the issue and others it hasn't. I've seen many people find a fix in settings but then come back weeks later when the issue occurred again.

I feel there's something common here but not all of us might be affected by that.

Be careful while troubleshooting one of my HDDs died today after a power cut. I don't know if I need to worry about other components.

0 Likes

@eliotcole I replied to in your other thread, 3Dmark was fine. If I'm running something it is fine, only happens at idle.

I did have issue with the Decemember drivers on my 6900XT, dunno why they got installed and I installed the card in late jan early feb. Sounds like you have a slightly different issue or 2 issues. I'd check your graphics drivers are up to date and reinstall them with DDU if they are up to date already. I'm thinking your issue seems more graphics card but still it could be a lot of things, but good place to start.

Most people on this thread are having trouble at idle though. I don't think it's my graphics card because it did it on my old GFX card. I only saw 1 or 2 crashes between 29th of Nov and 2 of Feb, there was many more I didn't see until I checked my logs.

I'd say the vast majority of people won't even notice or have realised the cause yet, if this is more widespread, but it's most likely just an isolated issue.

Gotcha, cheers, mate.

Like you, I'm here in the interests of testing as much as I can as possible, and ensuring as many people can see that information.

( of course, I'll fall off the face of the earth when I get it resolved - i keed, i keed )

I had initially queried with Scan that I believe that the issue is more in the management of power down to the software level, than the card itself and how it uses it. Plus folks in the other thread had limited success with pure drivers and no adrenaline, but what's the point of that?

The main reason I have gone for a rig like I have is so that I *don't* have to eff around with over clocking and all that jazz. I'm out for stock brilliance, that's all.

Heh ... I'm an easily pleased lover!

Well took 6 days for it to crash again after it killed my HDD, but it did power cut middle of a game this time, so not always at idle then. I'd say this rules out the HDD being the issue and I'd say now that it wasn't at idle it's very unlikely to be the PSU.

It's most likely CPU, MOBO, RAM or Gen4 SSD that I installed the day the issue first occurred. I'll start troubleshooting with the store now.

Come, join us in the 6900XT thread

I keed, I keed.

Look, something is really not right with the board, cpu, gpu, combinations that we're all running, and it's frustrating that there's a only the mildest hints at something to connect them all.

What I'll say that mirrors your experience below is that my cut out happens when the GPU + CPU don't appear to be doing anything too intensive in game. I had the Radeon overlay up, and all is fine, then BOOP. Similarly, in TWWH2 it crashes when progressing through a static post battle scene. This ... it's odd.

From what I recall here, you're BIOS'd up the wazzoo, was it yourself that was finding not with the power related sleeps settings in the BIOS?

@Cmdr-ZiN wrote:

Well took 6 days for it to crash again after it killed my HDD, but it did power cut middle of a game this time, so not always at idle then. I'd say this rules out the HDD being the issue and I'd say now that it wasn't at idle it's very unlikely to be the PSU.

It's most likely CPU, MOBO, RAM or Gen4 SSD that I installed the day the issue first occurred. I'll start troubleshooting with the store now.

0 Likes

@eliotcole yeah at first I thought it was typical idle control that fixed the issue, I'm now only today on the latest BIOS before I was on the second latest.

The first couple of months I didn't notice the issue as PC just rebooted while I wasn't there and I came back thinking I must of closed Chrome or Chrome had crashed. A lot of people wouldn't notice unless you check for Event ID 6008 in event viewer.

I saw it happen in front of me shortly after putting in my graphics card, but soon realised it was ever since I installed the CPU and not related to the graphics card. I left it on idle and it would occur within 24hrs.

After trying some fixes BIOS updates etc it was only happening a couple of times a week. I set to typical current idle and it didn't happen for over a week. I though it was solved but a few months later turns out just a lucky run.

It is occurring less for some reason not sure why maybe BIOS related, I'll try the latest BIOS but I'm not sure if that'll be enough.

I'll need to work closely with my computer store to help them reproduce the issue, if they still can't with my CPU alone I'll bring my whole system for them to check.

I'll get to the bottom of it eventually just difficult to gather data when it occurs so rarely without a true error message.

Well, if/when my GPU comes back I'll be able to assist you by testing whatever I can here. As it is, I ain't bothering putting the old 970 back in just to test this, purely because I don't have the mental space available for it.

Oh ... and just I'm not suggesting that we necessarily have the same issue, but as far as I remember we have relatively similar setups (searches recent msgs) ... yeah ... this is you, right?

• MB - ASUS B550 plus WiFi
  • CPU - 5800X
  • GPU - XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT Speedster Merc 319

So we're around abouts similar setup, no? I'm just the ROG STRIX X570-E, a 5900X, and an OEM Powercolor 6900. Also, of course, the PSU differences. Sure, I believe mine is almost definitely older, but I can't really believe (and nor do the techs at Scan/Corsair) that it's at fault on a hardware level, here.

Speaking of which, yeah, you've probably found the right one, however they're stupidly obfuscated in terms of being able to find official pages for them, and a manual? Fuggedaboudit. Not sure what I should take from that. Either way, it's this one:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Professional-Series%E2%84%A2-HX...

However ... I have spoken directly to a *super* helpful (tech support) person at Corsair and they gave me zero hints that the PSU needed an upgrade for either card or CPU. Which, y'know, is probably written in to their contract to suggest new PSUs. So I was really satisfied with that interaction purely from a customer service point, completely ignoring that I got the answers I wanted.

Either way, I don't like that this was happening for you, at all. So if anything I can try when I'm back to full strength, drop me a line somehow and I'll try to replicate.

---

Side question ... Have you tried any Linux builds (standard operating, or gaming) yet? I'd love to know if the same thing in Windows and Linux causes the same issue. Whilst not conclusive at any level, if it showed in both OS, it could definitely strongly suggest the issues are either H/W or BIOS related, right?

@Cmdr-ZiN wrote:

@eliotcole yeah at first I thought it was typical idle control that fixed the issue, I'm now only today on the latest BIOS before I was on the second latest.

The first couple of months I didn't notice the issue as PC just rebooted while I wasn't there and I came back thinking I must of closed Chrome or Chrome had crashed. A lot of people wouldn't notice unless you check for Event ID 6008 in event viewer.

I saw it happen in front of me shortly after putting in my graphics card, but soon realised it was ever since I installed the CPU and not related to the graphics card. I left it on idle and it would occur within 24hrs.

After trying some fixes BIOS updates etc it was only happening a couple of times a week. I set to typical current idle and it didn't happen for over a week. I though it was solved but a few months later turns out just a lucky run.

It is occurring less for some reason not sure why maybe BIOS related, I'll try the latest BIOS but I'm not sure if that'll be enough.

I'll need to work closely with my computer store to help them reproduce the issue, if they still can't with my CPU alone I'll bring my whole system for them to check.

I'll get to the bottom of it eventually just difficult to gather data when it occurs so rarely without a true error message.

-----------------

Separately ... that just made me think. Why isn't that a standard part of support for PC Building firms and online support for hardware? Host a linux build that you know functions with the setup / hardware and then when customers are having issues, have them stick it on a USB and test it out. At the very least you could cake in some telemetry for it to your support system, and at the most you might really hone down on where the issues are.

0 Likes

@eliotcole Memtest86+ is run on bootable media not via Windows, It crashed for me in that software once. Memory tested fine however.

This rules out OS issues, also only started occurring the day I installed CPU, MOBO, RAM and SSD.

Just built a new system this month and seem to be getting the same issue everyone else is getting

System:

CPU: AMD 5950X

CPU COOLER: Be Quiet Silent Loop 280mm

MOBO: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB 3600MHz

GPU: ASUS TUF 3070 OC

M.2 NVME: Corsair MP510 1TB

PSU: Corsair RM850X

all parts are new*

CPU Temp is around 49 idle and same with GPU, the issue seems to happen randomly at idle or at load, I've tried updating bios, drivers, disabling and enabling XMP and PBO with no luck, it just seems to either go into a black screen state where nothing is responsive or restart completely and go into windows login screen every 3-4 hours.  Also, I've noticed that when I slightly bump the table (which my pc is sitting on) or close my table draws with a slight bit of force it will cause the black screen effect.

I can't believe so many people are having this issue and AMD has not done anything about this to support its customers, I've opened up an RMA for my mobo and CPU but I doubt they will wait 4 hours and find the issue, so they will just send me my parts back. 

Does anyone have any ideas? I have a very expensive barely working pc atm

@Boklau sound like you have a bit more of a severe occurance of the issue.

I posted some troubleshooting from AMD several pages back it might help, for me it hasn't yet but it used to occur once a day now it's once a week so something improved it.

However occurring so frequently is handy it lets you swap parts out to confirm the issue quicker. Just be careful with mechanical HDDs as mine died with all the power cuts.

Bumping it sounds strange, it's not like you have a heavy air cooler or anything.

0 Likes

another thing I found just now is that when I accidentally bump my table the screen goes black but things seem to still be fine in the background ie Spotify and I can still control the music from my phone, so is it now a GPU issue too? because half of the time when I don't bump the desk it will just black screen automatically and then it's not responsive. so confused 

0 Likes

Dang, @Boklau , that sucks ... hope that you get this sorted.

Also, @Cmdr-ZiN , yep, aware that memtest runs separately. Thanks for that, though, a good idea.

---

Separately, have a look at what Scan sent me back after spending WELL over £2000 on a bundle and card with them (3603 is the March release, AGESA 1.2.0.1 Patch A

As for the BIOS version, it will have been the latest stable release, so excluding any Beta options, this will have been version 3603. Feel free to test the Beta release too, just be aware that flashing the BIOS is not without risk, if something was to go wrong in the process it can "brick" the motherboard requiring RMA/repair.

I mean ... I literally stared at the screen for a whole minute trying to comprehend how they took the longest possible way to tell me "shrug."

This, by the way, is after I stated they should probably take the bundle (CPU/MEM/MB) back as well as the GPU that they took for testing.

Like @Boklau I have a very expensive pedestal sitting here ... because it doesn't even have onboard graphics.

@Boklau Replug you monitor cable at both ends and make sure it's secure and uninstall you display drivers, do a DDU and reinstall the latest.

I had a similar issue with black screens but PC running, related to the december display drivers that were fixed around Feb or March. However it wasn't related to bumping the table, although I did wonder if the DP cable was loose a few times. However if I recall correctly for me the PC was rebooting into that state, so it probably related to the Ryzen power cut, now it just doesn't boot back up. Anyway not really sure what's causing your issue but worth giving a shot if you haven't already.

@eliotcole yeah pity they didn't take everything back however they usually don't, they tend to want you to narrow down the part that is the issue.

As for the BIOS I hate when they say it might brick the device. That's something young people say. That term only became popularized with the first iPhones. MOBOs you can always tend to fix by replacing the BIOS chip or with a BIOS flashback option. Most ASUS boards tend to revert to factory BIOS if fail to POST more than 10 times, I'm pretty sure that's how my BIOS reverted and my CPU was no longer supported one night after a bunch of power cuts and resets. Anyway I don't like it when people scare monger about it, just take care and follow the instructions and you'll be fine, also be aware of how to fix if it messes up. Pretty sure you know what to do but they never used to talk like that till mid 2000's.

Anway they didn't seem very helpful, you'll need to hand the issue to them on a plate. Try swapping out hardware till you narrow it down, it probably wasn't the GFX card, especially if they could reproduce it, but maybe they were missing something in order to reproduce it.

I'm now on the latest BIOS been running solid for a few days but that really means little as it could take a week or more. Next will be to test the CPU by itself in another system for a week.

It would be super awesome to have an AMD voice on this, as this goes beyond a blip in terms of incident/problem management, @Matt_AMD  .

Yeah, @Cmdr-ZiN , I don't like that either, and, I mean, look, I get it, I've worked support my entire life, they're protecting their ass. They even said AMD setups can't be overclocked when we were setting it all up in pre-sale, smiiiiirk.

Saying stuff like that isn't scare-mongering, it's legalspeak to cover them if you brick it. Thing is, I'm not accepting that, as it should arrive as a capable setup, and it damned well should be able to run this card with ease.

@Cmdr-ZiN wrote:

@Boklau Replug you monitor cable at both ends and make sure it's secure and uninstall you display drivers, do a DDU and reinstall the latest.

I had a similar issue with black screens but PC running, related to the december display drivers that were fixed around Feb or March. However it wasn't related to bumping the table, although I did wonder if the DP cable was loose a few times. However if I recall correctly for me the PC was rebooting into that state, so it probably related to the Ryzen power cut, now it just doesn't boot back up. Anyway not really sure what's causing your issue but worth giving a shot if you haven't already.

@eliotcole yeah pity they didn't take everything back however they usually don't, they tend to want you to narrow down the part that is the issue.

As for the BIOS I hate when they say it might brick the device. That's something young people say. That term only became popularized with the first iPhones. MOBOs you can always tend to fix by replacing the BIOS chip or with a BIOS flashback option. Most ASUS boards tend to revert to factory BIOS if fail to POST more than 10 times, I'm pretty sure that's how my BIOS reverted and my CPU was no longer supported one night after a bunch of power cuts and resets. Anyway I don't like it when people scare monger about it, just take care and follow the instructions and you'll be fine, also be aware of how to fix if it messes up. Pretty sure you know what to do but they never used to talk like that till mid 2000's.

Anway they didn't seem very helpful, you'll need to hand the issue to them on a plate. Try swapping out hardware till you narrow it down, it probably wasn't the GFX card, especially if they could reproduce it, but maybe they were missing something in order to reproduce it.

I'm now on the latest BIOS been running solid for a few days but that really means little as it could take a week or more. Next will be to test the CPU by itself in another system for a week.

0 Likes

Adding my voice to the chorus. Prebuilt Maingear Turbo 5900x, RTX 3080FE, ASUS X570-I, 32GB HyperX 3600MHz, Corsair SF750W, 1TB Gen4 Seagate FireCuda 520 M.2.

This is strictly a gaming machine with a Linux VM for some remote work stuff. WHEA event 18 hard resets during gaming since I took it out of the box. Maingear has been great, we did a bios update in April to 3603 but that didn't help. RMA'd back to Maingear, they replaced the CPU. It actually didn't crash a single time all of May. Just yesterday I reinstalled an old DX11 game... And within 2 minutes hit a WHEA error. Now all of the games that WERE fine, are all now crashing as well. This is incredibly frustrating.

I see people have had some luck disabling CPB and PBO - But there's no Core Performance Boost setting on my Asus X570-I.  Would they have called it something else?

0 Likes

@C64 it'll be there just gotta look for it. Have a look in your BIOS manual usually a separate manual. Probably easier to Google online where it is though.

Keep in mind this is only a work around, it will only reduce the occurance not fix the issue. It's possible you got a second dud CPU or maybe your new CPU is more stable but something else is contributing to the problem.

See if you can narrow down the cause and get it fixed. Unfortunately this issue could be many things and there's not a lot of data on the issue yet.

There's just nothing called CPB - I don't doubt that there's a similar setting in here, but it's definitely not called Core Performance Boost.  There's even a search feature in the X570-I bios that has found everything else I need, but nothing about "CPB" or "Core Performance"  or "Core Boost" or anything worded like that.

0 Likes

Never mind, I found it:  "AMD CBS" - Not sure how I missed opening that menu, but none of it comes up with the bios search function either.  Weird, but found it either way.

epoch5
Journeyman III

This is a absolute load of crap the only place the 5900 CPUs are available to the average guy is on ebay at 3 times the cost.  Come on AMD you can do better than this. 

Very angry fan.

0 Likes

This is a absolute load of crap the only place the 5900 CPUs are available to the average guy is on ebay at 3 times the cost.  Come on AMD you can do better than this. 

Very angry fan.

0 Likes

Disabling CBP and PBO seems to have helped for now. Will try setting RAM back to default and activating XMP.

0 Likes