cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

behindicebergs
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with an AMD RX 5500 XT, intel i-5 9400, Gigabyte Z390 UD motherboard. Besides the Kernel-Pnp errors logged in Windows Event Viewer there is also one mentioning that AMD drivers failed to install completely, the information is as follows:

Device not started (amdkmdag)

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7340&SUBSYS_38221462&REV_C5\6&2f1654d3&0&00000008 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem5.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: amdkmdag
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x15
Problem Status: 0x0

I have tried updating my BIOS, uninstalling some windows updates, using different versions of the AMD drivers. Nothing so far works. I was thinking of using your solution, increasing the DRAM voltage slightly. Do you think this could help? I'm not a super tech-savvy person so I thought it wise to ask for some help first. (Contacted Microsoft and AMD support, AMD never replied and Windows have been of... limited help)

0 Likes
gontos
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

I have been struggling with BSODs and tried everything, only disabling core boost helped so I RMA got the new one, now with xrp on and everything else default I have no problems....so far... kudos to AMD for the fast reply and fast replacement.

0 Likes
ace50k
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hi Guys

Just a quick update on this.  I disabled the "Global C States" option and stability has been rock-solid since.  What I noticed using a monitoring tool is that the voltages on idle CPU cores dropped down as low as 0.944 volts (when C-States were enabled) but turning off the "C States" has raised them 1.044 volts (or thereabouts).

The instability seemed to occur only when the system returned to idle after running intensive applications and only on certain cores.  I wonder if the programmed voltages on some processors are set too low at the factory?  I also used the curve optimiser to add a positive value to the cores that threw WHEA errors and that also seemed to solve it but realistically the end user should not be needing to do this.

Luckily,  turning off the C States doesn't seem to have had much effect on idle power consumption or when loading all cores.

0 Likes
herculesdesouza
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

it seems that some CPU cores behave wrongly when in low voltage, I was having whea 18 when exiting and returning to cyberpunk, with the 3603 bios from asus this problem disappeared.

Cmdr-ZiN
Adept II

Jump to solution

@ace50k Just curious how old your PSU is and if PSU idle control will have the same effect as C-States?

You shouldn't have to disable C-states and PSU idle control worked for me. There could be different causes but your symptoms were very similar to mine.

TrapoSAMA
Adept II

Jump to solution

Hi!

In my case the FP is from 2013 - 2014. Is a Antec 1000W platinum. CPU is stable when run some test, but when play reboot 😕

Tags (1)
0 Likes
ace50k
Adept I

Jump to solution

@Cmdr-ZiNmy PSU is an EVGA Supernova 750 G2, which I have had for around 5-6 years and has been used in a number of builds from an Intel Core i7-4790k, Ryzen 2700x, Ryzen 3900x, and this one.

Cmdr-ZiN
Adept II

Jump to solution

@ace50k could you try setting PSU idle control to typical, it should give you the same result as disabling c-states I'm expecting, but I'd like to confirm that if it's not too much trouble?

I've been reading  https://techreport.com/review/24897/the-big-haswell-psu-compatibility-list/#coolermaster and other things. My PSU is meant to be compatible for Haswell, which is was, but for some reason Ryzen 5000 doesn't like it. I'm still trying to work out why.

ace50k
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hi @Cmdr-ZiN .  I've put everything back to defaults apart from manually setting the memory to the correct speed/timings.

Voltages are now dropping as low as 0.956V according to HWMonitor instead of 1.041 when global C-States were disabled.  I have set the "Typical Current Idle" but this as well as "Low Current Idle" doesn't seem to affect the reported voltages.

For now I've left "Typical Current Idle" set and will see what happens.

LastPint
Adept I

Jump to solution

3700x, 5700xt , 32GB(3600), MSI x570 Gaming Edge Wifi 

Followed this thread since I am having the same issues, crashing 3-5 times a day.  Tried disabling PBO, CBP, XMP, reseated the components, uninstalled various apps and still the same result.

Switched the Power Idle in bios from Auto to Typical and turned all the other features back on.  I am coming up on 24 hours without a crash.

Just wanted to recommend others to try it. 

0 Likes